Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club BA Avios reward flights – baffled

• Bearing Up 54 posts

I have been reading the various reviews re the above given I’m looking into the 2 of us flying LHR to FRA in Dec.
    The HfP chart lovingly pulled together by Rob and published on 2/6/22 indicated the above flight as 4750/5250 one way off/peak times in ET.
    I have looked at booking the same flight, out on a peak date in mid Dec, back on off peak late Jan and BA wants 38000 Avios & £2.
    Using the HfP chart I get the math to be 10.5k out and 9.5k back making 20k.
    Am I making a schoolboy error? Why the difference or can BA just do what they want re Avios pricing given supply/demand?
    Thank you in advance for the correct guidance.

SamG 1,639 posts

His chart assumes you are selecting the £35pp “tax” option – you can use more Avios to pay less cash but this is usually a poor deal in value per point terms

Bearing Up 54 posts

Sorry for the delay in responding @SamG, required elsewhere.
    Now I am confused. Selecting the £35 tax option? I merely went into reward flights, detailed what I wanted and the Avios cost was produced.
    Is there another site/option offered that I should have used?
    Thank you.

ChrisC 956 posts

As part of the booking process just beneath where the cost in cash and avios is displayed’ is a line that says ‘other pricing options’

Click on that and you get a range of varying avios and cash components.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

The prices in our chart are the ‘historic’ prices and, more importantly, what you pay when redeeming a 241 voucher.

BA will offer to rip you off by giving you the chance to use more Avios and less cash, but you should resist this.

Bearing Up 54 posts

Thank you ChrisC and Rob for your replies. I am aware of the ‘math’ involved and did see the other Avios payment options. I wasn’t aware the chart was based on use of a 241 voucher but helps clarify matters.
    Thanks again.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.