Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club British Airways cancels Bangkok until October 2022

• Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

Looks like BA have pulled Bangkok for the next 10 months, just had my flights for late Feb/early March cancelled.

Has anyone else asked for rerouting? I’m probably going to ask if they can put me on Finnair instead.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Len1 2 posts

Yeah my flight for February from the 50% off avios offer cancelled too. I’m booked to go with Finnair in April already aswell so will aim to go with a different airline.
    Would they allow to be rebooked through qatar? Or which airlines most likely?

SamG 1,639 posts

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=8739

May need to wait and see if it gets extended which takes a while usually to catch up

This is the Finnair policy (via Stockholm though) with BA connections – I had a friend who did it and said it was easy and the flight was very quiet both ways

Otherwise Qatar will be an option

gabrielmoreno 6 posts

Just got caught up on this. Was flying out on the 15th Jan.
    Bought my business class ticket using Avios companion voucher, avios and cash. Do anyone know if I I request a refund will I get my miles back and the voucher?
    I would assume I will not be able to move to a service with a stopover?
    Help appreciated.

jumpfrog 23 posts

I managed to get through to someone at the call centre to rebook as ours is a holiday booking. The lady tried to re route us on Qatar and then the BA IT system froze and they had to reset it. She said she will call me back and try again later. Does anyone know if we will still get double tier points if re routed on Qatar?

danimal 90 posts

My companion voucher flight on 25th December was cancelled about 6 weeks ago – they rebooked us on Finnair which will be a much nicer experience I think. Any idea why they are cancelling BKK when it’s now open to tourists?

gabrielmoreno 6 posts

Will the call centre be able to reroute me onto a stopover flight if I have a companion voucher, avios flight?

SamG 1,639 posts

Just got caught up on this. Was flying out on the 15th Jan.
    Bought my business class ticket using Avios companion voucher, avios and cash. Do anyone know if I I request a refund will I get my miles back and the voucher?
    I would assume I will not be able to move to a service with a stopover?
    Help appreciated.

You could get a full refund or move to Qatar or potentially Finnair if they extend that rebooking policy past 10 Jan

If your voucher has expired then take a “Future Travel Voucher” instead. Then use that to book a trip to Manchester and they’ll refund the balance of Avios/cash. Then take another Future Travel voucher and you’ve extended it to 2023.

If your voucher is near expiry then once you get a full refund book another short flight using it and then claim a FTV to extend

SamG 1,639 posts

Will the call centre be able to reroute me onto a stopover flight if I have a companion voucher, avios flight?

Yes. Qatar (and potentially Finnair) rebooking allowed for redemptions

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    SamG 1,639 posts

My companion voucher flight on 25th December was cancelled about 6 weeks ago – they rebooked us on Finnair which will be a much nicer experience I think. Any idea why they are cancelling BKK when it’s now open to tourists?

I think overall demand will still be very low. I know a few people who holiday in Asia pretty much every winter and I don’t know anyone going this year – the testing & risk of govt quarantine on arrival is a concern + worry when you get there things like bars will be restricted & it won’t be so fun after you’ve gone all that way/spent all that money!

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

I managed to get through to someone at the call centre to rebook as ours is a holiday booking. The lady tried to re route us on Qatar and then the BA IT system froze and they had to reset it. She said she will call me back and try again later. Does anyone know if we will still get double tier points if re routed on Qatar?

According to my friend at BA one of their IT systems went down (not sure how long for) so probably unfortunate timing!

gabrielmoreno 6 posts

Thank you very much SamG. Absolute Genious!
    I cant get hold of BA on any of their numbers, it simply sends me back to the website and cut me off. Anyone had any luck getting through to them? if so what number I should call?

Regards

jumpfrog 23 posts

You just need to keep trying and you will eventually get through! I had success after 50 minutes holding earlier on 0344 493 0787

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

I cant get hold of BA on any of their numbers, it simply sends me back to the website and cut me off. Anyone had any luck getting through to them? if so what number I should call?

Regards

I tried earlier but got cut off. My flights aren’t urgent so I will just try again in a few weeks. Haven’t fully decided yet whether to try and reroute on Finnair or try and go somewhere else.

SamG 1,639 posts

Regards

I’ve tried all afternoon as well about something else and just can’t get through! usually either first thing in the morning or evening is better so I’ll try again later

Caveman 7 posts

What do you think my chances are finding a single reward flight before xmas and back in january?

gabrielmoreno 6 posts

Success!!!
    MOdify my 15th of January to 5th of Feb return London to Bangkok to same dates but with a stop over in Doha. using companion voucher, avios and cash.

that was of course after a 2 hours wait on the phone.

moss79 29 posts

The Current Flights to Hong Kong are they Just Cargo flights or are they carrying passengers now also again ?

John 1,000 posts

Hmm I thought they were rerouting the HKG flights to BKK so crew don’t have to enter HK

rob-london 20 posts

Had this same issue last year (and again now!) They will reroute you with Qatar or Finnair. Qatar is a result obviously!

moss79 29 posts

If BA reroutes Hong kong via Bkk will passengers on that Flight have right to cancel ?
    Will it will be a stop for crew in Bkk only and they wont offer Bkk flights via this Reroute for sale ? .

moss79 29 posts

If BA reroutes Hong kong via Bkk will passengers on that Flight have right to cancel ?
    Will it will be a stop for crew in Bkk only and they wont offer Bkk flights via this Reroute for sale ?

I currently have a BA LHR-HK Booking in first on 2 for 1 voucher but Cant take the Flight due to the one ticket Rule for transit in HK as my Final destination is Bangkok .

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    thom 25 posts

I wonder whether this is actually going to be helpful for me …

My thrice cancelled 50% Avios booking was originally for December 2020. I was thinking of rescheduling these cancelled tickets for November 2022. Given they aren’t now flying until next October this might help with getting them to do this beyond the ‘ticket validity’ without a big argument and/or legal action!

davestat 24 posts

What’s the chance of BA coughing up for seats in a year’s time ?

SamG 1,639 posts

What’s the chance of BA coughing up for seats in a year’s time ?

Not via the call centre. Your UK/EU 261 right is for this though, will need to go via BA legal and then either MCOL or CEDR . Plenty of reports of success of this if you’ve got the time/patience!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.