Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• masaccio 722 posts

Flew a reward flight in WTP last week after multiply recycling the booking through FTVs and surprise, surprise I got tier points and avios for the flight. Double odd: my OH didn’t get TPs credited or even a zero avios ‘ineligible flight’.

Second time this has happened. Don’t think I will complain about this.

ChrisC 956 posts

Corect decision.

They could just as easily take away your TPs / avios

duggie1982 263 posts

Flew a reward flight in WTP last week after multiply recycling the booking through FTVs and surprise, surprise I got tier points and avios for the flight. Double odd: my OH didn’t get TPs credited or even a zero avios ‘ineligible flight’.

Second time this has happened. Don’t think I will complain about this.

Deffo thought your title meant BA fecked up. Well they kind of did, just in a positive way for you

Matt 323 posts

I flew on a 241 a couple of months ago. The return had been cancelled and re-booked, but no FTV used. I got TP and avios for all legs, my wife got 0 for all – ineligible flights.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    NorthernLass 7,569 posts

This happened to us on our MAN-LHR-BOS trip at Easter – booked with a 241 and OH got avios plus tier points. Interestingly though, only 3 of the 4 sectors credited, meaning (I assume) he won’t now requalify for Bronze on the back of this as we haven’t been flying BA recently apart from that trip. So it did make me wonder if there’s some kind of failsafe mechanism to stop people benefiting too much!

George K 292 posts

This has only happened to me once, where an NCE-LGW trip booked on Avios had to be rebooked on IB as NCE-MAD-LHR. There was a mad dash at the airport when I discovered that the change wasn’t ticketed when we tried to check in (!) but thankfully the ground staff resolved it after typing a novel into the computer.

Once we returned, I got points, but my wife did not. I remember hearing the agents talking to each other in French and noticing that the booking class was ‘X’ so it’s not like they didn’t realise.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

Our experience from last week (all flights on one booking): me and my daughter got Avios and TP, nothing credited – not even a 0/0 – for my wife and son. Return flight tonight. OnBusiness was 0 for all of us.

Note that this booking was plain vanilla – was never cancelled / rebooked, not a Gold Priority etc.

masaccio 722 posts

Gotta love BA IT systems eh?

BA just reassigned the seats I selected when booking to rubbish ones at the back of the WTP cabin so will put on the disgruntled Gold flyer routine at the airport and see if we get moved to CW or at least our original seats back.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

BA just reassigned the seats I selected when booking to rubbish ones at the back of the WTP cabin so will put on the disgruntled Gold flyer routine at the airport and see if we get moved to CW or at least our original seats back.

I thought the back row of WTP was quite desirable as you can recline without anyone grabbing the back of your seat or needing it moved for meal times?

masaccio 722 posts

I thought the back row of WTP was quite desirable as you can recline without anyone grabbing the back of your seat or needing it moved for meal times?

I prefer a two seat further forward to avoid unwelcome neighbours and to avoid being left with no choice of food (crew don’t always give Gold first choice)

MattB 261 posts

My wife and her mum just landed after a week in Nashville, booked PE and UUA both legs as part of a BA hols package. Avios and tier points paid out based on the upgraded cabin, and with the 2x tier points offer should be enough to get Silver.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

@masaccio, I see where you’re coming from. I’ve booked PE in those seats on my next 2 return legs because they are very long overnight flights and I just want to have a couple of drinks then go to sleep!

jj 520 posts

It’s happened to me twice recently, but only once for my wife although we have always flown together. The extra Tier Points allowed me to reach Gold one flight earlier than should have happened which, in turn, allowed me to book seat 1A and receive a slightly more upmarket welcome on board.

masaccio 722 posts

And the return flight too.

I also figured out why OH got no credit outbound: I’d not (re)added her BAEC number to her booking. Spotted that while checking in for the return flight and sure enough she has 90 tier points too plus the Avios. Missing her BAEC number meant we ‘lost’ ~5k Avios but we’re still up 22k Avios from one BA IT screw up.

Crossing fingers now that my once FTV-recycled LHR-MIA flights in August will get the same treatment.

jj 520 posts

@masaccio, I’ve just received 160 tier points and 7,520 Avios for a return flight to Athens booked with Avios – effectively a discount of 22% on the 34,000 Avios that the flights cost.

masaccio 722 posts

Reawakening the thread – BA reward flight booked on a new 241 just got us both 140 TP.

This time it wasn’t a multiply recycled voucher, but one of the very early new vouchers. I found some I class tickets available on ITA Matrix and convinced the CSA that there must therefore be rewards available. So somehow she converted a revenue fare into a reward. I guess the TPs came through that. I imagine they are wise to the actual rules now.

I was kinda looking forward to losing my Gold status as a marker of not having to fly so much for work, but at this rate with the lower threshold I will renew. Yay for crappy BA IT.

And as for losing Gold – the new buffet in the FC lounge is actually very nice. The pho wasn’t overly authentic, but it was delicious.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

OH got Bronze renewed in April after a 241 trip to BOS. He hasn’t flown on a cash booking for 3 years! Sadly no extra TPs for our GCM trip last month or he’d be nearly at Silver.

MattB 261 posts

Just checked and the wife and I both got avios and TP for our F flight last week. Hopefully get the same on the return in a couple of weeks as it would get her to silver.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

If you got it on the outbound you’ll more than likely get it on the inbound. Oddly, only 3 of 4 flights qualified for us, but as Bronze only needs 2 this year, he still retained it.

yerumaa 15 posts

My upcoming return flight to South Africa is listing 0 Tier Points and 0 Avios as my reward in MMB (this is a regular cash booking, never changed etc). Should I be worried, or just claim the missing points afterwards?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.