Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help BA flight delayed/cancelled due to fault with plane

• Niall 112 posts

My flight tonight (from Tenerife at 18:55) boarded early but eventually we had to get off around 22:30 due to fault with the plane which wasn’t fixed. They bused us off to a hotel, and told to wait for details. But the app showed the flight was now due to depart 11:45 tomorrow. Hoping no issue on EC261 claim on this (as there was an initial small delay due to Gatwick landing slots I hope they don’t blame).

My question though… if BA do give us flight options, and I don’t select the earliest possible (perhaps this flight now delayed to 11:45 tomorrow), do I give up my rights to the EC261 compensation?

Matt 323 posts

If the earliest they can get you back is >3 or 4 hours later than scheduled then you should get the compensation even if you take a later flight. You would probably increase your chances of having to fight for it though I expect.

I can’t see BA trying to refuse payment for an obvious technical fault with one of their planes, but you never know!

JDB 4,384 posts

Sorry, probably a bit late now, but the situation you describe is technically an overnight delay (rather than a cancellation), such that the flight will operate the following day, probably with an X on the end of the flight number to distinguish it from today’s flight if it exists. It will, as @SamG says, make you eligible for delay compensation and BA should pay for hotel & food but if you elected not to travel on that ‘delayed’ flight you risk not being compensated for an alternative flight if BA won’t rebook you.

Niall 112 posts

Thanks both!!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.