Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club BA have changed a flight from MAN to LHR and is now too short for the MCT?

• StaggerLee 61 posts

This a just a general question at the moment as my wife is a bit panicky so I just want the right info to tell her.

We are going from Manchester to Nassau in May and BA have just cancelled the early morning flight and stuck us on one at 8am which would then give us an hour to connect. I know this should be doable but the system now says we can’t board the new flight as it’s less than the required MCT.

I’m not accepting the change at the moment as I fully expect the flight time to move around again and hopefully no need for any negotiation with BA…but… If the flight times do stay the same what would my options be?
    I could travel a day or so either side but given the times each day would probably be the same that wouldn’t solve the problem. Would BA let me switch to flying down to LHR the night before and would they agree to pay for a hotel?

This is on a 2-4-1 so no way am I cancelling.

Cheers

Stu_N 103 posts

I’d leave it for a few days, we have had schedule changes for short hauls in April over the last few days so they are clearly messing around with Summer ’23 schedules at the moment. The MCT at T5 is 1 hour – domestics coming into Heathrow just have flight connections so it’s doable but not comfortable, personally we don’t go for <90 mins, just not worth the stress.

As you say it’s a cancellation you are in a decent position. If it doesn’t sort itself out you should be able to move dates for both outbound and inbound – there may be days of the week that there is an early flight that will connect with your long haul so that’s an option if you are a bit flexible. For an overnight connection you may need to phone – it won’t be a problem to book that but I’d be surprised if BA will pay for a hotel…

(If it’s just a schedule change there is less flexibility though if you have an impossible connection they should let you move +/- a day anyway).

Basically I’d recommend sitting on it for the moment then work out what you want from them – if you can’t arrange that online then give them a phone. Ringing when lines open (0800) is usually quickest. I’m sure you’ll get a sensible outcome.

StaggerLee 61 posts

Brilliant, thanks. I’ll sit tight for now. My wife will be reassured 🙂

I just checked and on that day they have flights from MAN-LHR at 8am and 8.50am. No way is that happening

Stu_N 103 posts

Definitely sit on it.

Ive just had a cancellation one of the flights I changed us onto this morning. D’oh!

JDB 4,378 posts

As above, wait as the schedules are changing a lot. If the new flight meets MCT, they won’t pay for a hotel the night before, but they should allow you to move the flight. It may be worth booking a cancellable hotel now as prices will likely increase.

StaggerLee 61 posts

As above, wait as the schedules are changing a lot. If the new flight meets MCT, they won’t pay for a hotel the night before, but they should allow you to move the flight. It may be worth booking a cancellable hotel now as prices will likely increase.

Hadn’t thought of that. Will look at that now. Thanks

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,075 posts

When a flight gets cancelled the BA bots simply work through the passengers on the cancelled flight and books them on the closest operating flight. On the first pass it does not take into account connections only the cancelled flight

Once that bot has run a couple of days later a second bot runs and then picks up passengers who now breach MCT or where the change may have caused other issues.

I’d wait for a few days to see what BA come up with. TBH little point in calling now anyway as they will still be dealing with the aftermath of the recent weather issues and the forthcoming Border Force strike and your flight isn’t in the immediate future.

Just doing a dummy booking there is an option (for the ramdom day in May I picked) for MAN=LHR-MIA-NAS so there are options even if they aren’t direct.

SamG 1,644 posts

That’s right. It is purposefully run seperately to avoid it rebooking you onto something else that is then cancelled a few mins later or missing an option that appears during the timing shuffle. Of course once something appears if you can see something better you can call in (or indeed just leave it as it is if your plans aren’t certain – if there has been a flight number change then you can get a full refund)

Anna 458 posts

NAS leaves from T3, no way will you make it unless it’s delayed or they hold it for you. I am doing that route twice next year and flying down to LHR the day before on both trips.
    So many delays/cancellations atm, anything same day is risky.

Stu_N 103 posts

Ah, if it’s T5-T3 that’s the problem. You need to do flight connections/ bus/ security – MCT is 90 mins but I’d allow 2 hours.

Night before is probably best idea and there are more hotel options for T3 as well.

StaggerLee 61 posts

NAS leaves from T3, no way will you make it unless it’s delayed or they hold it for you. I am doing that route twice next year and flying down to LHR the day before on both trips.
    So many delays/cancellations atm, anything same day is risky.

Thanks, I hadn’t spotted it is from T3. I will try to switch for the overnight in that case. Occupational won’t ring at the moment though. !!!

StaggerLee 61 posts

A follow up.

The system didnt sort anything and I got an email saying that I needed to ring to discuss my options. I did that yesterday.

My original trip was a Friday to Friday as there wasn’t any 241 availability on the Saturday. I’m now flying down on the Friday night and heading to Nassau on the Saturday. Very happy with that

Now just need to book a hotel for the Friday.. Oh and my Bahamas accomodation 😁

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.