Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club BA re-imbursement schenanigans

• Sean Mc 66 posts

Was involuntarily downgraded from First to Club (BA stopped First on the route after booking), so “complained” after the flight requesting re-imbursement – here is the reply:

Your feedback to British Airways
    We’re sorry you were downgraded from First to Club World recently, due to a change in our aircraft. We recognise why you needed to let us know about this and we’re grateful for your patience while we got back to you.
    I’ve asked our Refunds team to process a refund of the difference in fare. This will appear on the original form of payment within the next 14 days.
    Once again, please accept my apologies for this experience. We hope to welcome you on board again soon.
    Best regards
    Vikki
    British Airways Customer Relations

More evidence of BA simply ignoring the law.

AJA 1,070 posts

Why am I not surprised? Did you title the complaint EC261/2004 downgrade reimbursement and did you mention that you were entitled to 75% of the fare? If not I can see why BA responded as they have.

In any case work out what you are entitled to and see if it is more than BA refunds. You never know they may actually correctly refund you (I wouldn’t expect that but there is a remote chance they might get it right) then put in a subsequent claim. You may have to go the MCOL route to get it though

Aston100 1,383 posts

Toothless regulators have led to the current sorry state of affairs where airlines deliberately mislead or actively don’t follow the laws.
    They have nothing to fear.

Lady London 2,046 posts

Go back and ask for all your money.

Don’t forget to claim for each seat including a 241 seat. Claim for the 241 seat same as the claim for the first seat. so 2x the full downgrade reimbursement £ overall for the 2 seats.

Don’t even bother waiting, they are fully aware of the regs and hoping to fool you. Write to them now ‘for the avoidance of doubt’ ‘reminding them of their statutory obligation under [Legislation posted above] ‘ and state that per seat you expect ‘no less than’ £…. downgrade reimbursement so total not less than £… and you are ready to take action if the full amount is not received within [21?] days.

LBA them on Day 22. BA’s tricks are not worth wssting time with.

Sean Mc 66 posts

Latest response:

Dear Mr xx
    An update from British Airways
    We’re sorry our response was unclear on your rights to a refund.
    You’re entitled to 75% of fare paid for downgraded sectors of more than 3500kms. This will be processed soon, back to the original form of payment.
    Once again, please accept my apologies for this experience. We hope to welcome you on board again soon.
    Best regards
    Vikki
    British Airways Customer Relations

AJA 1,070 posts

Wow. I am surprised but pleased that BA had a change of heart. Keep an eye out for the refund to make sure the amount you get is correct. If you wanted to be cheeky you could reply thanking them but at the same time ask for an additional goodwill gesture on top for the inconvenience of initially being told the wrong information.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.