Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Balance transfers Amex to NatWest

• hugo r 279 posts

I have a rather large Amex balance and want to transfer it to my NatWest credit card as I have 0% fee and long 0% balance transfer interest period

I’ve read that NatWest won’t accept transfers from Amex due to the Amex card having 15 digits

Has anyone experienced a similar issues

lollyfry 44 posts

Hopefully someone will have NatWest experience for you, but I had the same issue last month with Sainsbury Bank credit card – they also wouldn’t take a balance from my Amex

PIL 97 posts

Is that even though you called them to action the transfer?

Luca M 391 posts

Recent experience (with the RBS version of the same card, but system and CS are the same), apparently cannot be done but at some point in the past it was possible. The frustrating thing is that when you try to do it yourself on the app it even recognise it is an Amex card and goes all the way to the final step before getting an error. Spoke to customer service for over 10 days before getting a “not line get possible” answer.

Santander offer a similar 0 fee 0% for a longish time card and can transfer to Amex on the phone, you may need the Amex Bank details as they will action it as a bank transfer payment.

megoi 18 posts

I did the exact same thing in the past couple of days.

I processed it through the Natwest App and had no issue with entering my Amex card number.

It did trigger a Fraud Team call from NatWest who once they were satisfied, put me through to CS to process the balance transfer manually. Again no issue with the longer card number. It has all gone through now.

Luca M 391 posts

I processed it through the Natwest App and had no issue with entering my Amex card number.

It did trigger a Fraud Team call from NatWest who once they were satisfied, put me through to CS to process the balance transfer manually. Again no issue with the longer card number. It has all gone through now.

That is interesting. Has the money landed on Amex? I was told three times that the transfer was actioned manually, but days letter was neither bending on the RBS/NatWest side nor was landed on the Amex side, and when I spoke to the next person, he said that the BT did not work. Eventually I received a letter stating that although they believe the Amex transfer should work, it was not working for the card I provided (BA Amex PP). I then Called again and the guy on the phone after a long check, told me that Amex was now in the list of Merchant to which transfer would not work, I gave up…

megoi 18 posts

That is interesting. Has the money landed on Amex? I was told three times that the transfer was actioned manually, but days letter was neither bending on the RBS/NatWest side nor was landed on the Amex side, and when I spoke to the next person, he said that the BT did not work. Eventually I received a letter stating that although they believe the Amex transfer should work, it was not working for the card I provided (BA Amex PP). I then Called again and the guy on the phone after a long check, told me that Amex was now in the list of Merchant to which transfer would not work, I gave up…

Yes – landed a day later. It was on my BAPP too. Did you try and process the original transfer via the Nat West App? The IT is set up to allow the Amex card number.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.