Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express BAPP card welcome bonus

• DanCraft94 9 posts

Morning all, first time poster and fairly new to the points game! Up until around may this year I had the very basic American Express Rewards Credit Card, in my nativity in my early 20’s I thought it would be great because every now and then I could use the points to get £10 off at Amazon. Since I’ve cancelled that I’ve had the Barclaycard Avios Plus and the Virgin equivalent and done well out of both.

My question is could I apply for the BAPP Card and still get the welcome bonus? The article on HFP site doesn’t seem to reference other Amex cards as exclusions but just checking before I apply! (Would it also be worth waiting for an increased sign up bonus in the coming months before applying?)

Also would my rewards card count against me in the 24 months period for cards such as AMEX platinum as it wasn’t an avios based card?

Thanks in advance.

NorthernLass 7,474 posts

If you haven’t had an *avios-earning* Amex in the past 24 months, you are eligible for the *BAPP* sign up bonus.
    No guarantee re an enhanced bonus so it’s best to do it as and when it suits you.
    Lol – “in my nativity” – very apt for the time of year!

DanCraft94 9 posts

If you haven’t had an *avios-earning* Amex in the past 24 months, you are eligible for the *BAPP* sign up bonus.
    No guarantee re an enhanced bonus so it’s best to do it as and when it suits you.
    Lol – “in my nativity” – very apt for the time of year!

Serves me right for typing on my phone with autocorrect whilst half asleep! So reading into it I should be good for the welcome bonus on the BAPP just not on a platinum/gold card for the next 18 months or so.

NorthernLass 7,474 posts

Yes to BAPP – but bear in mind that once you have that, you won’t be eligible for a gold sign up bonus unless you close the BAPP and have 2 years without any kind of Amex (except possibly the lowest level personal one). While you have a BAPP, the only SUB you can get is on the Platinum (after 2 years without an MR card). It’s worth reading Rob’s article a few times to get your head round the rules. I go back to it every so often because the rules are fairly complicated and it’s easy to get caught out if you’ve not had a card for a while.

DanCraft94 9 posts

Thanks very much for your advice. The article was a massive help, I just thought I’d double check on the forums before I apply to just to clarify my understanding. Me and my partner collect the points as a joint effort so are going to stagger the gaps between sign up offers when we know we have a big purchase coming up.

Reney 755 posts

Thanks very much for your advice. The article was a massive help, I just thought I’d double check on the forums before I apply to just to clarify my understanding. Me and my partner collect the points as a joint effort so are going to stagger the gaps between sign up offers when we know we have a big purchase coming up.

Remember to refer each other and try to line up with enhanced bonus too. also, check in on retention offers.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.