Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Best Star Alliance scheme to join?

• QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Some advice re Star Alliance if anyone can assist?

Members of both Kris (Singapore) and Lufthansae M&M with small balances in both. Never really flown enough with either or Star Alliance to earn any real benefit. I have 6 Euro segments in business with combination of Lufthansa and SAS coming up and a United US domestic business flight coming up. Probably not enough to earn me status or even a reward flight so more concerned as to where to credit for best benefit and ideally no expiry (unlike Lufthansa and Kris) so that I have a chance to build a worthwhile balance with future (not very frequent) Star Alliance flights?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,095 posts

I get United Silver (*A Silver) with Marriott Titanium. So with no expiry at United it’s the one I’ve gone for. I do prefer M&M for availability and fixed redemption chart but the hard expiry is just willful nastiness on their part which I’m not inclined to entertain. There’s some deep dive videos on Youtube on this question; suggest you have a look. https://youtu.be/EwJOWf5CGdI

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,095 posts

Despite suggestions online, LH group P fares credit to United at the same rate as M&M. That’s not the case with some other *A schemes. A lot of my flying is MAN to Europe via FRA/MUC/ZRH so the P fare thing matters.

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Thanks (again) Blair.

2 segments are ‘P’ the rest higher and starting in MAN 😭 so very useful Cheers .

Despite suggestions online, LH group P fares credit to United at the same rate as M&M. That’s not the case with some other *A schemes. A lot of my flying is MAN to Europe via FRA/MUC/ZRH so the P fare thing matters.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Rob had a kind of checklist for this
    (In no particular order)
    Expiry policy
    Household accounts
    Partners for redemption
    Ability to earn miles without flying
    Ability to transfer from, say, Amex and Bonvoy etc
    Routes flown by the airline vs your favourite destinations
    Redemption availability

aseftel 267 posts

It’s not something I’ve done, but I believe you can credit certain United flights to Aer Lingus for Avios and certain SAS flights to Virgin Atlantic. This may be preferable to building an orphan balance in a new scheme.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.