Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Bicester Village

• Tariq 79 posts

I see from an email yesterday that they are introducing a tier based reward scheme with benefits that are linked to amount spent (tracked using your individual membership QR code).

Makes me wonder why bother with the receipt based frequent flyer points claims – they could award points off the back of QR tracked spend. Could be a prelude to scrapping the FF points?

Given the Amex relationship with reserved parking, etc for Platinum – might we see a complimentary status fast-track…

Andrew J 769 posts

Bicester have had this Privilege programme in place for years – it just didn’t really come with any benefits other than the odd surprise and delight treat like a coffee or something – the new system just provides more tangible benefits once spend thresholds are met. The FFPs are a way of using the airlines to drive traffic to the Village – an advert in Highlife onboard with the promise of some Avios has more effect than just an advert for the Village with no incentive – and a one-off visitor is more likely to find that appealing than a programme which you only see a benefit after you’ve spent £1000 and on a subsequent visit. So I don’t think there’s any worry of FFPs being discontinued there, or any chance of the QR code replacing the manual miles credit, as they could have done that years ago. As for a second tier automatic benefit for Platinum – could be likely as they have a strong tie in already.

Reney 768 posts

Amex offer is back, I have two variation spend £500 get back £100 or spend £400 get back £50 in case anyone is going to the village anytime soon.

chrischris2202 29 posts

Does this offer work on gift cards bought at the information point at the train station? If so one could spend those £500 in multiple shops..

malteser 32 posts

I always buy gift cards at the concierge office and have always received the cash back. Most recent in May.
    This means that I can get gift cards using different Amex cards and then use them as necessarily amongst the various stores and not having to worry if it’s cumulative or not and trying to match the exact amounts.
    At the end of the visit I pop back at the office and ask them to add the avios to my account. Sometimes they tell you to send email.

Andrew J 769 posts

I always buy gift cards at the concierge office and have always received the cash back. Most recent in May.
    This means that I can get gift cards using different Amex cards and then use them as necessarily amongst the various stores and not having to worry if it’s cumulative or not and trying to match the exact amounts.
    At the end of the visit I pop back at the office and ask them to add the avios to my account. Sometimes they tell you to send email.

The offer last month was more straight forward – 10% back every time, no minimum spend up to £100 back.

VerdantBacon 141 posts

It’s always been cumulative and unless you plan on spending outside of the offer’s validity dates it seems pointless to throw in the extra step of a gift card.

Don’t forget for plat holders, sign up for the vip card and book hands free shopping and parking before you head there

chrischris2202 29 posts

Well that is the question right now. It used to be cumulative but this time it isn’t, and as usual the the concierge office is not “on the list of merchants”. But if you have done this in the past, when it was cumulative but still without concierge on the list, I will do it as well, planning an early August trip.

chrischris2202 29 posts

Given there is another Amex offer at the moment, I am happy to confirm that the gift card purchase at the Concierge office at the train station worked last time around 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.