Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Bologna hotel recommendations 1 night stay?

• ExpatInBerlin 186 posts

I’m booking a one night hotel stay in Bologna for my parents this summer before they head to the coast the next day to embark on a cruise. They are flying in early morning so will have all afternoon and evening on the arrival day then leaving on a train the next morning. They just want something clean and comfortable close to the centre (that also does breakfast) so they can enjoy the city during their brief stay and then get a cab with all their bags to the train station the next morning. When I visited a few years ago I stayed in an AirBnb so any recommendations very much appreciated thanks!

AJA 1,071 posts

Are you sure you can’t persuade your parents to spend a little longer than one night in Bologna? It’s a fabulous city with loads to do and see. The covered pavements make it great to wander around even if it’s pouring with rain. And the food is even better.

Money being no object I’d recommend the Grand Hotel Majestic già Baglioni

But for a more reasonable price that fits your requirements I liked Art Hotel Commercianti. It’s centrally located and in a lovely old building.

davefl 1,222 posts

Avoid the AC by Marriott. Lovely on the outside and stylish, convenient for the station but made of paper. Every time a door closed my bedroom wall and headboard shook.

ExpatInBerlin 186 posts

@AJA unfortunately they are time constrained at the departure end hence one night only but hopefully if they like it they’ll head back for a city break! I was there in 2018 but think it’s about time I return for some delicious food. Thanks for the hotel recs, will check them out.

@davefl
    I’m glad you said that about the Marriott because I’d been looking at it and was tempted before I read your comment!

davefl 1,222 posts

@ExpatInBerlin If your folks don’t mind that and they’re only staying a night it may be an option. I was there 3 days and it was irritating as hell.

I really don’t like paper hotels where you can hear everything above, below, and the folks having sex in the room across the corridor at 4pm – I’m looking at you Staybridge Dearborn, MI.

Stayed in 5 ACs in Italy this month, every single one had a plumbing issue from taps that don’t stay on, showers that vary from hot to cold every few seconds, to shower drains that run slow and flood the bathroom. Is there something about Italian plumbing I’m not aware of?

Lady London 2,054 posts

@ExpatInBerlin If your folks don’t mind that and they’re only staying a night it may be an option. I was there 3 days and it was irritating as hell.

I really don’t like paper hotels where you can hear everything above, below, and the folks having sex in the room across the corridor at 4pm – I’m looking at you Staybridge Dearborn, MI.

Stayed in 5 ACs in Italy this month, every single one had a plumbing issue from taps that don’t stay on, showers that vary from hot to cold every few seconds, to shower drains that run slow and flood the bathroom. Is there something about Italian plumbing I’m not aware of?

Yes davefl it really is Italian plumbing. Takes major refurbishment to fix, still there are quite expensive hotels that have not undergone works that included fixing it.

Used to be an often found problem in Paris too – luckily now much less often found – nowadays tending to be tbe lower end and sometimes lower-middle of some Accor hotels there (sadly those hotels still applying upper mid prices despite the condition of the building)

jj 520 posts

But for a more reasonable price that fits your requirements I liked Art Hotel Commercianti. It’s centrally located and in a lovely old building.

I second this recommendation. I had a great stay there a few years back – very stylish and genuine, and the location is second to none.

Bologna is a fabulous city. Massively underrated in my view.

masaccio 723 posts

We stayed 5 nights in Corona D’Oro towards the end of a driving tour and loved it. Finding it in a car avoiding the penalty zones wasn’t fun but we only did that once and I figure we were very unusual in doing so.

I will also echo the stay more than one night comment. La Grassa is worth way more than that for food alone.

Random Punter 10 posts

Last time I stayed in the Aemilia Hotel, which was modern, clean, comfortable and straightforward (with very friendly and helpful staff) and just on the edge of the historic centre.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.