Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Bumped off Virgin Atlantic flight to NYC

• spellman 32 posts

Virgin seems to have overbooked VS9 to NYC tomorrow, so we’ve been bumped onto the earlier flight (VS3) (still in Premium Economy) which luckily won’t cause us too much inconvenience apart from an extra night of dog care, and an early morning cab far. The compensation offer was interesting:

A select voucher which can be exchanged for a free round-trip ticket, inclusive of tax, in our Premium cabin. The voucher can be redeemed for travel anywhere on our network, subject to reward seat availability, is valid for 3 years. (Per passenger)

Or
    75,000 Flying club points (Per passenger)
    Or
    If your new arrival time means you incur a 1-4 hour delay you are eligible for a refund of £260 (Per Passenger)
    Or
    If your new arrival time means you incur a delay of 4 + hours or more, you are eligible for a refund of £520 (Per Passenger)

The first option sounded the most appealing, as I’m Virgin points-heavy so don’t need any more, and a PE flight INCLUDING taxes works out way more valuable than the statutory £260 I would have got.

ChrisC 956 posts

Remember it’s your choice as to what option you take.

If you are happy that the select voucher is good for you (and of course worth more than the cash under Uk/EU261) then of course take it.

Not sure I agree with their calling it a ‘refund’ when it’s actually compensation but in practice it’s splitting hairs as you are clearly aware it’s the statutory compo

Abd before people start quereying it it is perfectly legal under the regulations to make an alternative offer such as points / vouchers etc but it’s the passengers decision which to take. BA went through a period of offeeing 50k avios instead of the cash but stopped.

AndyGWP 276 posts

The caveat of “subject to reward availability” was always the stinker with that voucher offer, but obviously the availability of reward seats has dramatically changed recently 🙂

spellman 32 posts

Yea, I think under the old reward seat policy, I’d have opted for the cash, but I think I can use the flights and the vouchers have pretty decent validity (3 years)

mrcrsearle 99 posts

24 hours notice mot great but looks like flight cancelations & changes will be a thing for the near future. I got two Upper flights to NYC in September from Heathrow. Happily get bumped on earlier flight. They cancelled my flight & put us on a later flight, around 90 mins later.

NorthernLass 7,547 posts

The bit that sticks for me would be “subject to reward seat availability”. You’re very much at the mercy of Virgin with that – why can’t they just guarantee you “a seat”?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.