Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice California road trip accommodation – August

• NunoBettencourtsPinky 107 posts

I’m travelling to California with a mate for ten days in early August. We have a 10 day trip planned and flights are booked into and out of SFO in Club. When we’ve done this before, I’ve randomly booked hotels from various sites that will give us somewhere to get our heads down along the way during our road trip. (I’m an IHG rewards member if that helps, with a balance of 100K points which I’m happy to redeem). First time in the USA during August and I’m looking at hotels and finding prices are comparatively high vs previous visits to the US and we are looking at ways of minimising our accommodation expenditure.

1. Rough route across the 10 days: San Francisco 2 days, Montecito 1 day, Los Angeles 1 day, Palm Springs 2 days, Los Angeles 1 day, San Jose 2 days.
    2. Ideally we’d like separate rooms, but will share a room if we feel we have to.
    3. I’ve no real brand loyalty, but if I can pick up some IHG points along the way, so be it.
    4. Not bothered about luxury – this is really a functional part of the trip – literally somewhere to park up, sleep and eat breakfast, then be on our way, rather than sitting on sun loungers sipping cocktails and chilling out.

So what I’m after is some larger mid/budget level-ish chain recommendations (rather than independent hotels) that will provide some decent value in California during that time of year. I’m thinking along the lines of Howard Johnson, Red Roof, Motel 8 etc – just functional, relatively safe, clean and good value. Are there any more that HFP readers can recommend to look at?

Also any third party booking sites other than Priceline, Trivago that might help keep costs down?

Thanks!

davefl 1,221 posts

Look at the La Quinta chains, I had good experiences at some last trip where the Hilton/IHG were in poor locations or had bad reviews.

Always check out the tripadvisor reviews (and read between the lines) before booking a specific hotel.

Marriot prices have gone through the roof in the US compared to Hilton and IHG. Hamptons are usually the best for budget but they’ll typically be $20-40 more than the nearest IHG. I generally don’t use 3rd party sites as I want the points/free wifi from status.

ChrisBCN 236 posts

That’s a lot of driving for ten days! Although I did once drive Palm Springs to San Francisco in one day, think it took about 8 hours with breaks.

Have you considered flying into SFO and back home from either LA or LV (or even San Diego), or vice versa? Appreciate you may not be able to change tickets, find availability etc.

I did a lot of Motel 6 and Super 8 stays, very basic but cheap.

davefl 1,221 posts

That’s a lot of driving for ten days! Although I did once drive Palm Springs to San Francisco in one day, think it took about 8 hours with breaks.

Have you considered flying into SFO and back home from either LA or LV (or even San Diego), or vice versa? Appreciate you may not be able to change tickets, find availability etc.

Depends what you want out of a trip. I dont think that’s bad. My typical US road trip is anthing up to 2500 miles in 20ish days. The last CA one was SF, Highway 1 to LA, across to Barstow, up to Yosemite via Kings Canyon, Tahoe, Reno, across to Lassen National Park and back to SF. 2000 miles in 18 days.

NunoBettencourtsPinky 107 posts

Some good suggestions there gents – thanks.

Yeah – unfortunately our itinerary means we have to start in San Fran and end in San Jose due to specific dated events occurring in those locations. The rest is filler inbetween the two. Agreed Palm Springs is a stretch, so might ditch that!

davefl 1,221 posts

I’ve had 2 opportunites to go to palm springs and decided against it both times. Unless you’re a party animal/want sun/spa/golf then I wouldn’t bother. The hotel prices are mad, unless you stay downmarket by the airport.

Maybe go south to San Diego instead and then come back to SJ.

Do the Highway 1 south from SF so the ocean is on your right. Then when you come back northwards come up the middle of CA or maybe detour to the Sequoia/Kings Canyon/Yosemite if you like that kind of thing.

The Savage Squirrel 569 posts

Depends what you want out of a trip. I dont think that’s bad. My typical US road trip is anthing up to 2500 miles in 20ish days. The last CA one was SF, Highway 1 to LA, across to Barstow, up to Yosemite via Kings Canyon, Tahoe, Reno, across to Lassen National Park and back to SF. 2000 miles in 18 days.

Except this one is MORE mileage than that and in half the days. It’s WAAAAY too much to see anything unless this is some sort of motorbiking trip where the idea is to be on tarmac as much as possible?

NunoBettencourtsPinky, you can of course blast from SF to Montecito and then LA in a day along the I-5, but it’s about as exciting as driving the M42 – what’s the point? The drive down from San Francisco to LA along the coast road can (and really should) take several days or even a week, as there is so much to see along the way. San Jose, Monterrey, 17-mile drive, Pebble Beach, Pismo, Hearst Castle (if open now), SLO, Santa Barbara etc etc etc. Bear in mind the coast road is full of tourists taking in the sights, average speed will be around 30 MpH at best and that lengthy diversions that can take hours due to mudslides and wildfires are not unusual. – look again at what you’ve done to yourself that day!

Check out this thread too and particularly Will in SJC’s contribution: https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/california-road-trip/

One good way to do things would be to head east out of SF and go to Yosemite then King’s Canyon and south towards LA (or if you REALLY like driving lots then go across the Tioga Pass and head down to LA via Mammoth. Then come back north from LA along the coast road taking a few days about it. Forget Palm Springs (and don’t spend too much time in LA, frankly).

In my younger poorer days I’ve done some US road trips where most stops were Motel6 or Super8 or something similar. There are various other chains and they’re all much of a muchness honestly – the good news is basic standards are pretty good even in the budget end of the chains – it’s very rare to encounter genuine dirtiness. As this is a points/loyalty website have a look at Choice Hotels, as they have lots of properties of the type you’re seeking and have a loyalty scheme to collect in :D.

davefl 1,221 posts

Fair point about the mudslides and the current state of flooding in CA. Best to check closer to the time as Highyway 1 can have sections closed for months or even a year. And I’ll withdraw my San Diego recommedation due to distance

But honestly SFO – Montecito – LA – San Jose -SFO is only 1000 miles. With detours that fine for 10 days.

You can pack plenty in if you’re away by 7am, and burn the candle late. I’ve been doing it for decades and my US trip plans would make people’s eyes water.

Choice and Wyndham (La Quinta) are both ok, but more variable from property to property compared to IHG/Hilton, so reviews need to be checked. Crime/Housekeeping and other factors pop up regularly at some due to location. The lower the brand spec the rougher the clientel in my experience. You may be ok with Super8, HJ, Americinn, but you fellow guests may be more “interesting characters”

dougzz99 623 posts

Look for last minute deals each night on an aggregator like booking.com or hotels.com. Motel 6 and Super 8 as fallbacks. If you want just to get your head down with nothing fancy then it’s an approach that’s previously worked for me. Be aware hotel prices in the US (along with everything else) are more than you may be used to.

This has the additional benefit of allowing flexibility on the route as you go.

Thanks all. We’re not adverse to an early start to nail any drives, and indeed driving late night when the traffic is quieter anyway.

We have a number of friends we need to catch up with along the way in LA and Montecito, so it needs some planning. I like Palm Springs but my mate hasn’t been and was keen to experience it. I can see us just doing the coast road from San Fran down to LA and stopping along the way at various points, then doing LA then back up to San Jose for the last two days.

Travel Strong 258 posts

Don’t forget to browse AirBnB (and book via the BA estore for bonus Avios).

I’ve had some very unique stays in the middle of nowhere via that route!

MattB 261 posts

If you have a car there a few cheaper options for Palm springs outside of the downtown area.

We are staying at the PS hilton in a few weeks. It was 40% cheaper to buy all the points vs cash although that is with the 5 nights for price of 4 as gold.

Scott 240 posts

Palm Springs is definitely worth visiting, but prob not as part of a coastal road trip. It’s more about hiking the canyon trails, up Mt. San Jacinto, and a base for getting further inland to Joshua Tree, Salton Sea, etc.

If you have a car there a few cheaper options for Palm springs outside of the downtown area.

We are staying at the PS hilton in a few weeks. It was 40% cheaper to buy all the points vs cash although that is with the 5 nights for price of 4 as gold.

I stayed there when I visited PS last year – great hotel and location. Tip: lots of free roadside parking in surrounding roads to avoid their onsite parking fees.

The real Swiss Tony 654 posts

Some good suggestions there gents – thanks.

Yeah – unfortunately our itinerary means we have to start in San Fran and end in San Jose due to specific dated events occurring in those locations. The rest is filler inbetween the two. Agreed Palm Springs is a stretch, so might ditch that!

But you could still fly one way from SFO down to Palm Springs, hire a car then work your way back? Traffic round LA certainly used to be utterly insane, so subjecting yourself to that twice over is probably far better sorted with a one way flight, which on a random date in August was £80, even less if you fly Breeze out of San Bernadino.

But you could still fly one way from SFO down to Palm Springs, hire a car then work your way back? Traffic round LA certainly used to be utterly insane, so subjecting yourself to that twice over is probably far better sorted with a one way flight, which on a random date in August was £80, even less if you fly Breeze out of San Bernadino.

Good shout. Hadn’t considered internal flights.

MattB 261 posts

I stayed there when I visited PS last year – great hotel and location. Tip: lots of free roadside parking in surrounding roads to avoid their onsite parking fees.

Thank you, is it very clear which roads are free to park on?

davefl 1,221 posts

Good shout. Hadn’t considered internal flights.

If you’re looking at internals, seach Ontario, Ca as well as Palm Springs. Cheaper option and only a short drive. Car rentals will probably be cheaper from there as well

The real Swiss Tony 654 posts

And ditto at the north end as you have OAK, SFO, SJO and presumably some other obscure airports…

And on the one way car rentals, look at a consolidator. I find kayak a good start. In my experience they are invariably cheaper than booking direct. It means you forego your Hertz No.1 or whatever but again by picking a small airport to collect the car from, you can probably take a lot of the grief out of the equation anyway.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.