Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Calling to add return flights to 2-4-1 booking

• CharlieUK 49 posts

I managed to get 2 J seats to Santiago just before next Christmas and am eagerly scanning seatspy to book the return flights next January. Is the advice still to try phoning the US line just after midnight UK time? Or is that likely to be fruitless, bearing in mind the current state of BA’s phone service?

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    FatherOfFour 274 posts

Give it a go! Timing is tricky to get right, but I got through at 00:15 on a “hard to get” route and managed to get the tickets I wanted. I gave my tactics on another thread a couple of hours ago.

CharlieUK 49 posts

Give it a go! Timing is tricky to get right, but I got through at 00:15 on a “hard to get” route and managed to get the tickets I wanted. I gave my tactics on another thread a couple of hours ago.

That’s great – thanks for your help, FatherofFour!

SteveJ 977 posts

Try Japan, they’re just opening up then

CharlieUK 49 posts

Try Japan, they’re just opening up then

That’s good to know too – thanks SteveJ.

CharlieUK 49 posts

Just following this up for anyone else needing to book the return of a 2-4-1 itinerary.

I chose to call the Japan number, as midnight UK time is 9am in Japan, when their line opens. If you call the number prior to midnight, you’ll get a recorded announcement in Japanese. But after midnight, you’ll get an announcement in Japanese and English, with the option to press 2 to continue in English.

I called at 00.00 exactly and waited 5 minutes to be connected. I think it was the Indian call centre. It took about 10 mins on the call to get the 2 J seats I wanted. I noticed that the other 2 J seats went at about the same time – so it’s well worth calling at midnight.

SteveJ 977 posts

Good work, glad to hear! Japan worked well for me recently, seems a better option than the US.

CharlieUK 49 posts

Good work, glad to hear! Japan worked well for me recently, seems a better option than the US.

Thanks SteveJ!

pauline 43 posts

If you have enough avios is it still better to book the return on line at midnight and call to add the booked return to the 2 – 4 – 1 outbound? Being based in edinburgh the lon – edi leg doesn’t appear until the next day so its a 3 stage process!

tiriavpo 312 posts

If you have enough avios is it still better to book the return on line at midnight and call to add the booked return to the 2 – 4 – 1 outbound?

Swings and roundabouts – taxes can be cheaper as 2 one-ways (usually to/from far east) or can be significantly more if going to/from USA. 2 one-ways can be convenient when changing trips as you can do them independently, but would cost you double the £35pp to cancel.

Doing it online, I have had tickets in my basket but still lost them by the time I’ve finally checked out, probably to a phone agent who can snaffle them whilst processing the rest of the transaction.

travelwell 52 posts

May I ask which Japan number you used?
    Was it the general contact us or for exec club?

CharlieUK 49 posts

The number I called was for the Exec Club: +81 3 3298 5209

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    SteveJ 977 posts

If you’re doing a points booking you have to use the exec club number.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.