Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Cape Town in March

• Hbommie 194 posts

Thinking of a last minute trip to Cape Town in March, the weather, hotel prices and scenery are appealing. It would be a first trip to South Africa, is March a good time of year to go and a question from my better half, is it safe?

We usually do weeklong city breaks in the winter in the Far East, would CPT work for this? Luxury hotel, nice food, a comfortable place to relax and not too much touring other than the city. Is it walkable (hence the safety question), or is better to use Uber etc?

Thanks

Richie 989 posts

Will you want trips out to say Camps Bay and down to Simon’s Town etc?

Not Long Now... 94 posts

Definitely go. Many holiday rents available for peanuts where you’ll get a fantastic whole apartment or house, or if you prefer then lovely hotels available, but equally superb B&B’s around for far less than hotels which tend to charge top prices. Driving is easy and relatively cheap to hire compared to the rest of the world at the moment, but Uber is big in Cape Town, and a 25 minute trip will get you pretty much anywhere for less than a tenner. Wine lands are the real culinary hot bed if you feel you could go that far, maybe an hour and a half max from Cape Town, and again massive range of beautiful accommodations available.
    Weather generated lovely, but occasionally showery so take a coat in case… but please please go.

Not Long Now... 94 posts

And as for safety, don’t wander around the less touristy bits of Cape Town after dark, but same goes for pretty much every city I can think of. Stats are far worse for most major US cities, but nobody seems to worry about going there…

Hbommie 194 posts

I must admit that I haven’t done much research, but will be googling all of the areas mentioned.

Thankyou

Amy C 372 posts

CT is magnificent and March a great time to go. Make sure you go around Chapman’s Peak drive and the peninsula, Bolders Beach, Simon’s Town, V&A waterfront, Table Mountain (of course), winelands, so many other sights. It’s a long way but no jet lag. I’ve been several times alone and always felt safe. I wouldn’t take a phone or camera equipment out in the main town centre because beggars descend from no where when they realise you’re a tourist. The hop on and hop off bus in CT is amazing value and the best I’ve been on in the world too. Use that to get around or Uber.

Hbommie 194 posts

Thanks for the info Amy, that will keep me busy.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.