Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Car rental The car hire tips thread

• TunnocksTeaCake 22 posts

Just booked a first time February 2025 trip to New Zealand and trying to put together an itinerary. We are thinking about hiring a car on two separate occasions (once on the North Island and once on the South Island). First hire would be Auckland to Rotorua (probably 2 day hire – price may be prohibitive with separate drop off fees). Second hire would be Christchurch to Queenstown (7 day hire).

I have looked through the HfP forums but can’t find any NZ car hire threads. Just wondering if anyone has any tips / recommendations for car hire in NZ as there seems to be a lot of small independent companies available.

AndrewT 90 posts

I haven’t explored to see what dates it extends to, but Budget in Miami are offering extremely low prices on all vehicle types in January – possibly in the too good to be true category, but it’s been like it for some time.

Just booked a Group C Corolla for ten days for £236, way less than everyone else is asking and easily beating the short notice bargain rates sometimes available. I was quite tempted by the Mustang for only £396.

davefl 1,352 posts

I haven’t explored to see what dates it extends to, but Budget in Miami are offering extremely low prices on all vehicle types in January – possibly in the too good to be true category, but it’s been like it for some time.

There’s a reason budget in Miami are so cheap. Read the reviews on googlemaps for the location.

Tip – take a book, some refreshements and be prepared for a long wait in a cattle pen. When you finally get to the desk after 1-3 hours they’re ok. I rented from them in Dec.

RonnieB 294 posts

I was looking at AVis from Dallas but haven’t decided yet to pull the trigger.
    But I have started getting emails from Avis saying:

We’re currently experiencing high demand at Dallas/ft.worth Intl Airport, so we’d recommend booking now to avoid disappointment.

I presume this is just a complete con?

If I ‘pay now’ is it still cancellable? The new terms are as clear as mud

davefl 1,352 posts

I was looking at AVis from Dallas but haven’t decided yet to pull the trigger.
    But I have started getting emails from Avis saying:

We’re currently experiencing high demand at Dallas/ft.worth Intl Airport, so we’d recommend booking now to avoid disappointment.

I presume this is just a complete con?

Yes

If I ‘pay now’ is it still cancellable? The new terms are as clear as mud

If you prepay you can cancel for free up to 48 hours before the rental starts, otherwise there’s a change.

If you book a pay on arrival rate you can cancel anytime up to the rental start time.

davefl 1,352 posts

CarhireBA portal wierdness – Been tracking a one way 15 day rental in the USA for a few months now, it’s varied by quite a lot, started at £762 and dropped to £721, but suddenly on Monday this week it rocketed to £946! Tracked it every day and it dropped slowly until this morning it’s back down to £726.

The two wierd things are that all this week, both the potential drop off locations in Chicago that I was looking at would not let me select a drop off time of later than 12pm. They’re both open as normal in the afternoon but unselectable. Today that resolved itself.

Second thing is that the Budget prices which earn 2x Avios are considerably more expensive than the Avis 5x Avios. (location at both ends have combined budget/avis desks).

Booking via Avis.co.uk is £200+ more expensive.

davefl 1,352 posts

Interesting update in driving license requirements from Avis, removes any confusion about printing out the code that never seeemed to be needed (This is a USA rental, other areas may vary):

A valid driving licence – just the photocard.
    Driving licence of any additional driver you have requested.
    Bring a DVLA licence code if booking a van
    Passport or identity card of main driver and any additional drivers when renting abroad.

tankmc 10 posts

Just past my driving test and heading to Florida in a few months. I am wanting to hire a car while in Orlando.

I was recommended FloridaDiscountCarHire.com and so far very impressed! Been first time I had a few questions and I also needed to check licence requirements for every rental. I fired them a email and they came back with a custom quote which was cheaper than anywhere else I found.

So far so good! I will see if they are still good after the rental.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.