Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Car rental The car hire tips thread

• NorthernLass 8,480 posts

Having thought about it, the 12-month policy will cover us for this trip and next year’s so we’ll probably opt for that. I may have been confusing it with the standalone excess policy – until relatively recently we just bought full cover from wherever we rented as the most convenient option (my bad, I know).

Alan T 37 posts

Sorry my bad too, missed the GCM ref…………..maybe brain read it as GMC and thought “truck?’

NorthernLass 8,480 posts

Another question, sorry! Someone posted recently that you don’t now have to generate a driving licence code for car hire, however my Avis confirmation says we need one? Is Avis behind the times, or is it destination-dependent?

Richie 1,073 posts

I generate a driving licence code for car hire for bookings for UK pick up locations.

Travel Strong 324 posts

I do generate it for Avis UK, as they have text ahead of the rental instructing to – however you are never asked for it.
    No idea if their system can ‘see’ it once they have your Driving License number though.

I stopped doing it when I swapped to Enterprise.

I never do this for a rental outside of the UK, either.

NorthernLass 8,480 posts

Thanks – I don’t recall being asked in the past and I suspect the GCM branch staff won’t be aware that it’s even a thing!

davefl 1,452 posts

Another question, sorry! Someone posted recently that you don’t now have to generate a driving licence code for car hire, however my Avis confirmation says we need one? Is Avis behind the times, or is it destination-dependent?

It’s destination depdendent. The US rentals changed to say it’s not required. But I bet you’ll never be asked for it.

Lady London 2,176 posts

As @TravelStrong and @davefl say I have also never been asked for the DVLA code outside of the UK, and in the UK not always.

Alan T 37 posts

I’ve had that on all my recent Avis confirmations for the US and have it on both for the US and Australia later in the year and I will ignore both of them.

According to Hertz ( Avis used to have a list but long gone AFAIK) this is where you need it?: UK, Angola, Bahrain, Balearics, Botswana, Canaries, Croatia, Namibia, Oman, Portugal, South Africa, Sweden and Tunisia,

Alan T 37 posts

But they, other than UK, don’t align when you look at local T&Cs via Avisworld, at least the few I could be bothered to look at so I assume it may vary by rental co too?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.