Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Car rental The car hire tips thread

• Gavin454 159 posts

If you make a booking, make sure it’s refundable.

Different things happen in different markets, but I have experience of renting in France several times the past couple of years, and especially this year there’s usually been a big price reduction about 48-72 hours before pickup, with Europcar in particular. I’ve managed to cancel and rebook most times for around 50% to 70% discount on the original refundable booking made in advance. The “post discount” price often ends up being similar or sometimes cheaper than typical rental prices over the past 10 years before the current high prices.

It doesn’t always happen though, must depend on availability.

HJ 37 posts

Any tips for longer rentals? Looking to book for around 30 days (!) in the UAE during the world cup and Hertz doesn’t seem to have availability anywhere.

dougzz99 623 posts

Should have said this if NEXT July.

“Normal” prices should be £200 per week.

That was pre-pandemic it’s a different world now. Look at new car wait times, second hand prices.

dougzz99 623 posts

And they will continue if people pay these prices! I was just grappling with the “new normal” of $1000 US for a fortnight’s car hire when the £ tanked …
    Might have to start looking at these Amtraks Americans like so much!

I’d research that carefully. My experience of Amtrak is it’s very slow and very unreliable. I think they’ve also dramatically reduced services.

squawk7700 83 posts

Probably one of the most helpful threads I’ve even trawled through!

A quick question – I’ve used the Amex Platinum code to go via the Hertz US website.

A yellow banner along the top says Hertz Gold “Free Additional Driver”…can this be my brother-in-law? We have a family road trip coming up and would like to share the driving!

R 59 posts

Thanks for the tips – Bermuda seems to be better than Australia which I was using previously.

worldofswede 2 posts

Hey!
    I’m Presidents Circle and looking to rent from Geneva Airport – the price for Mystery car and Economy is the same. Will they hook up a PC holder in a decent way with a Mystery Car booking or should I just play it safe with an economy booking?
    Thanks!

steve7612 32 posts

I’ve booked 14 days car hire with sixt, next September 1 way from San Fran to LA. Managed to bag the BMW X3 or similar for £1000, it’s refundable and appears to include all insurance excess so think I’m quite happy with that but will check nearer the time for any better deals. I have Amex platinum but as far as I can see there’s no benefit to be had with sixt.

Harry T 96 posts

Please could someone offer any tips for renting in Brisbane? Cheapest deal I have found for an SUV for four days comes in at the equivalent of about £65 a day, prepaying with Autoslash and renting from Hertz. Thanks!

Richie 990 posts

Perhaps check a weekly rate and any early drop off charges for comparison.

Mayfield 16 posts

Hi, any recommendations for car hire from Larnaca Airport in Cyprus? Looking at the reviews very company seems to have poor feedback.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

davefl 1,223 posts

Hi, any recommendations for car hire from Larnaca Airport in Cyprus? Looking at the reviews very company seems to have poor feedback.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

I used Avis last year as part of a BA holidays booking. They were fine, no issues at all with them or the car. Got caught in a speed trap though, they’re everywhere.

Ash 621 posts

Any recommendations for car hire in South Africa. One circuit to do Transvaal and Kruger.

Second circuit Garden route to cape town and around cape town, including Rockland’s.

Mayfield 16 posts

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

I used Avis last year as part of a BA holidays booking. They were fine, no issues at all with them or the car. Got caught in a speed trap though, they’re everywhere.

Thanks!

yonasl 954 posts

Any recommendations for car hire in South Africa. One circuit to do Transvaal and Kruger.

Second circuit Garden route to cape town and around cape town, including Rockland’s.

I used Europcar in JoBourg. When we returned the car it was checked and we were given the all good but no paper (they said it was all recorded on the machine which I believed at the time). A week after they contact me saying they found some damage and I had to pay for it and charged me £250.

I emailed and they wouldn’t reply. I called and they wouldn’t pick up and when they did it was utterly useless. Their excuse was I was responsible for the car for at least 24hrs AFTER returning it. They also said they were not replying to emails “because you see, I also take holidays like you”.

So basically: keep proof of everything and make photos. Do not expect any help once you are gone or normal laws to apply.

Another issue we had was luggage being opened and small items stolen on an internal flight. Be careful with what you check in.

To bad the country is going in such a bad direction.

RonnieB 288 posts

ANyone got any experiences with TURO that they can share? Looks like a much more cost effective car rental method but insurance seems to the the sticking point?

Ash 621 posts

I used Europcar in JoBourg. When we returned the car it was checked and we were given the all good but no paper (they said it was all recorded on the machine which I believed at the time). A week after they contact me saying they found some damage and I had to pay for it and charged me £250.

I emailed and they wouldn’t reply. I called and they wouldn’t pick up and when they did it was utterly useless. Their excuse was I was responsible for the car for at least 24hrs AFTER returning it. They also said they were not replying to emails “because you see, I also take holidays like you”.

So basically: keep proof of everything and make photos. Do not expect any help once you are gone or normal laws to apply.

Another issue we had was luggage being opened and small items stolen on an internal flight. Be careful with what you check in.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience. Thanks for sharing.

Michael C 671 posts

I’m looking at one-way Orlando to MIA for April, and it’s coming out
    at around GBP80/day – is that just what I should be expecting?
    I’m a (new!) Amex plat if that’s of any use!

Anna 458 posts

Hi again! We paid around that for Key West – Miami for a “luxury” category which was actually the best deal (with Avis via BA) at the time. That was booked about 10 months ago though, and the inventories are definitely being replenished (we got the most fabulous brand new Cadillac 4 x 4, I really don’t want to give it back tomorrow 🥲), so you’d hope prices would be starting to come down. Assume you’ve done quite a bit of shopping around? Hertz wasn’t looking too bad price wise for the US this year if you pay up front but of course plans can change and they gave some terrible CS reviews!

Scottpat78 245 posts

I have a 29 day car hire booking for Miami in July & August this year. Been keeping an eye on prices and I booked with Hertz / Amex Platinum pre Christmas for £2525, pre paid. Cheapest Avis price was £3200. This is for a 7 seat luxury SUV.

Checked this morning and the price with Avis is still the same, but Hertz has gone down to £2150 for pre paid. Cancelled and rebooked to save £375. Working out at £75 per day which I reckon is decent.

I’ve used both Avis & Hertz plenty of times for both work & holidays in the US, and find that despite having Avis Presidents Circle and Hertz Gold 5 star, both give you little customer service at airport locations. Not sure if I have been unlucky or not, but picked up from several airports and have had the same experience everywhere.

Anna 458 posts

We’ve found Avis really helpful. I originally booked to drop the car at MIA but then we changed plans to return from MCO so we popped into one of the offices in Fort Lauderdale and they changed it at no extra cost. I still want to take the Cadillac XT6 home though 😂

Ash 621 posts

Avis double upgraded us in US. President clubs gets you one upgrade but I saw they had big trucks so asked for another upgrade and they gave it! Popped into avid is town to add a third driver and they waived the fee.

Having said that they charged us for fuel and the thirdy driver one return. Couple of emails and phone got the additional driver no fee honoured, working on the fuel, small amount $20 but we did return it full and filled from nearby gas station.

Even got restaurant tips from airport counter staff.

Hertz quotes always been more than avis, we status matched to Gold circle but still not competitive.

Oddly, not seeing fully refundable option on avis app or website now. Anyone else noticed the same?.

Luckily we took pictures of odometer and fuel gauge on the drop off.

sloth 315 posts

Oddly, not seeing fully refundable option on avis app or website now. Anyone else noticed the same?.

Avis still allow free cancellation. Cancelled (and rebooked) 2 bookings last week due to prices dropping

Ash 621 posts

It must be just me then. Though i only cancelled once. Fully refundable no longer selectable in app nor online.

zapato1060 639 posts

Taking photos of car, odometer and fuel gauge is as much of prerequisite as not forgetting passport.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.