Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic Come on VA! Launch another sign up bonus!

• Jan M 58 posts

I really want to sign up for the VA+ card, even more so now that Avios been devalued… It’s just been crickets. The only Virgin offer out there seems to be a free Greggs coffee when you book a train. They must be able to do better than that.

Travel Strong 258 posts

I’m also waiting patiently, but will not be transferring my loyalty without a sweetener (50k should do it). Whilst Barclays and BAPP (and indeed Amex generally) have been running sign up incentives – all my business is going in the direction of Avios.

dougzz99 623 posts

Maybe they think attracting custom only interested in SUB are not the sort of customers they’ll make money from in the long term.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,083 posts

If you’re that desperate for the card then just get it

If V Money are seeing lots of people apply with no bonus on offer then why would they offer a bonus?

It’s like sales. Why would a retailer discount goods that are already selling at the offered price.

JDB 4,374 posts

Maybe they think attracting custom only interested in SUB are not the sort of customers they’ll make money from in the long term.

Well, there’s a refreshing and enlightened view.

dougzz99 623 posts

Well, there’s a refreshing and enlightened view.

It’s not so much my view as an observation. I find the offers from credit card companies very strange. They’re structured to encourage behaviour that would seem to discourage long term custom. I’ve had two Virgin bonuses, and never kept the card a second year. Barclays pay card doesn’t make sense once you’ve had the voucher, unless you’re a very high spender. Amex seem to be trying to retain people with longer term offers and credits, but still hand out silly amounts of MR without any need to retain the card, compared to what you’d need to spend to earn the so called retention bonus. The changes to Amex Gold at least encourage spend and retention.

Jan M 58 posts

I downgraded to the normal Avios card after hitting the spending target for the voucher too. So I can afford to wait around for Virgin Money to launch something better. In terms of rewards the Chase debit card is probably a better bet now, but it’s not very satisfying from a gaming perspective.

Harry T 96 posts

I didn’t realise Virgin Australia had launched a credit card in the UK!

dougzz99 623 posts

I didn’t realise Virgin Australia had launched a credit card in the UK!

Bit desperate no? Given the discussion is in regard credit cards surely VA is an acceptable abbreviation for the card.

jshRR 32 posts

Be warned – I’ve recently read somewhere that Virgin c/cards ,including statements etc.,will be conducted via an app only from early next year (Feb 2023 ?)

WaynedP 258 posts

Any way to refer someone ? Couldn’t find any obvious route in the app and want to refer my son in the hopes that this gives him a better chance of being accepted. Am I being naive ?

trader363 109 posts

nope Virgin don’t do referrals

BajiNahid 169 posts

Im currently waiting for a bonus but i think i might just have to bite the bullet and apply here!

Jan M 58 posts

I’ll keep using my Avios (non-plus) card till the next offer comes along. If they increase the bonus to 30k again, then I’ll be much better off waiting.

JellyFan 20 posts

I’ll keep using my Avios (non-plus) card till the next offer comes along. If they increase the bonus to 30k again, then I’ll be much better off waiting.

I’m doing the same; I’m in no hurry to get the card, and I just know that if I give in and apply then they’ll immediately announce a hefty SUB the day after my application clears.

ChasP 162 posts

……..
    I’m in no hurry to get the card, and I just know that if I give in and apply then they’ll immediately announce a hefty SUB the day after my application clears.

Hurry up and apply then so that the rest of us can benefit 🙂

Ash 621 posts

Aren’t they joining skyteam soon….could see a card campaign to tie in.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Aren’t they joining skyteam soon….could see a card campaign to tie in.

I’d imagine the number of people with Virgin points who even consider redeeming on another airline, never mind actually doing it, is very small.

The recent changes to Avios pricing with have Virgin thinking about what to do next. Their redemption pricing is just awful to the states and they basically don’t fly anywhere else. They may do nothing, but historically they have responded to BA changes.

The card is a joint venture , I’d guess any change to SUB would require both companies to agree.

ChasP 162 posts

Agreed they arent looking great compared to BA given their £1k charges on UC redemptions to the USA and they usually do follow BA so I imagine there is some big planning going on at Virgin to see whether they can offer an equivalent to RFS.
    There are lots of COVID issued reward vouchers floating around which have been extended till later this year so that might be a delay

Amy C 372 posts

Not just to the states are their charges ridiculous. I need to use two vouchers and have zero interest in the states. Rather keen to go to the Caribbean or SA and both for the end of the year are over £900 in fees. Extremely off-putting.

JellyFan 20 posts

Hurry up and apply then so that the rest of us can benefit 🙂

I may have to take one for the team and do just that shortly – will be booking 3 flights to NYC for August, and the additional points for booking with the Reward+ card would go some way towards the lack of a boosted SUB.

Of course, a boosted SUB would be the icing on the cake.

I have a couple of months yet before I have to book, so fingers crossed VA “do the right thing” and tempt us with a nice SUB offer.

AL 579 posts

I wish to put on record my dissatisfaction with the Clydesdale’s attempt to reduce opex by removing the ability to manage my VAA card via the website. The app is woeful. Who wants to stare at that when doing expenses?! Exporting statements involves this ridiculous tango between the app, my inbox, and my Mac.

Just bring the website back — please!

Carlos 758 posts

I really want to sign up for the VA+ card, even more so now that Avios been devalued… It’s just been crickets. The only Virgin offer out there seems to be a free Greggs coffee when you book a train. They must be able to do better than that.

Earn 15,000 bonus points with your first card purchase – just make it within 90 days of opening your account.

BajiNahid 169 posts

Earn 15,000 bonus points with your first card purchase – just make it within 90 days of opening your account.

Carlos where do you see this offer? I cant see it anywhere? thanks

phantomchickenz 319 posts

Carlos where do you see this offer? I cant see it anywhere? thanks

https://uk.virginmoney.com/cards/products/vaa-cards?source=HFP-MUL-NA-NA-04725&agg=HFP&product=ALL

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.