Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Correct process to help friend qualify for Amex sign up offers after a blunder

• krautboy 56 posts

Hi,

a friend of mien wants to earn Avios points and I advised him on the way he should sign up to maximise sign up offers, but he messed it up. So he asked me to help him straighten things out to maximising his earning possibilities.

Issue: He and his wife each signed up to the free BA Amex card and both triggered the bonus of 10kk Avios. Now he decided to sign up to the Gold Rewards card and he thinks its best to invite his partner so both can get the sign up bonus. As far as I understand, he doesn’t qualify for the sign up bonus now due to them starting with the free BA Amex card. This is correct?

I think he should close down most accounts to reset the clock and wait 24 months before signing up like this: Gold Rewards Cards, after refer partner. And once she has triggered the bonus repeat the process this time with the Premium BA Amex Card. Would you think another route is better?

Also told him to sign up with Nectar Card to earn points and book things via BA Shop to earn more Avios. Any other good suggestions?

Thanks

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

He can still get a bonus on the Platinum card, but that’s it.

If he doesn’t want that, he needs to cancel the free BA card, wait 24 months and then go: Marriott, BAPP, Platinum.

Lady London 2,054 posts

Just in case they qualify as having a business the wait after having another MR-earning card before signing up to Amex Business Plat is only 6 months

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.