Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Crowne Plaza T4 – cheeky 2nd person charge

• Paul 136 posts

Was looking to book a night at the CP T4 and noted a very odd thing! The price changes depending on number of guests. In effect, they have added a second person charge.

I know this is an unpleasant, yet common practice in Europe, especially in Germany and Austria. This however is a first for me in the U.K.

The extra was around £10 but this does not apply to points bookings. I have tried dummy bookings at other CP hotels on the same dates in Aberdeen, Manchester, central London and overseas. None charge extra for a second guest in a double room.

The price gap between the CP and HIX was £15, I was therefore happy to pay for CP

I won’t eat, drink or dine as I will arrive late evening and leave by 7am the next day. So I need somewhere to lay my head and then have a shower in the morning.

I get hotels need to recoup but this creeping price gauging is really annoying, though I imagine the Arora Group don’t care so long as their slight of hand goes unnoticed.

tomkharrison 2 posts

For what it’s worth, I think the HIX would be sufficient. I’ve recently stayed at the CP T4 and my friends at the HIX T4 at the same time. It gave me an ideal opportunity to compare both rooms/brands. Yes, the furnishings and room sizes of the CP are slightly bigger and better, but for a single night, I’d probably choose the HIX. Especially if you weren’t too bothered about status or breakfast, although the complimentary CP breakfast for being a Diamond member, was at least edible. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the extra person charge, I’ve yet to come across a property adding this surcharge.

Dace 52 posts

This is why I always book as 1 person. Hilton and IHG always exclude the charge if you have Diamond or Diamond/AMS.

John 1,000 posts

This is why I always book as 1 person. Hilton and IHG always exclude the charge if you have Diamond or Diamond/AMS.

Second Guest Stays Free is a well-known feature of Hilton Honors; what is not so well-known is that it applies to all members including those with no status, not just Diamond.

Could you please show me where this is stated as a benefit for IHG?

SGJNI 69 posts

John
    I asked the same question a few months ago and was directed to the Ambassador Ts&Cs which clearly state it to be a benefit. I have relied upon this to remove a €600 second person charge from a stay in the IC Mauritius next Christmas. However, whether or not it is in the IHG terms or not, I can not comment sorry.

John 1,000 posts

John
    I asked the same question a few months ago and was directed to the Ambassador Ts&Cs which clearly state it to be a benefit. I have relied upon this to remove a €600 second person charge from a stay in the IC Mauritius next Christmas. However, whether or not it is in the IHG terms or not, I can not comment sorry.

Yes thanks I know it’s a benefit of Ambassador, but I don’t believe it is a published benefit of Diamond (Spire) as claimed.

Dace 52 posts

John, it appears you’re right. I haven’t had this happen to me however and when it has appeared (CP Amsterdam South) I pointed to my AMB status and it was taken off.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.