Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Current wait times after acceptance

• whuaremassive 42 posts

Anyone applied for the platinum since the increased points offer?
    Referred player 2 on Saturday and was accepted but didn’t receive an approval email and no sign of card yet. No referral points in my account yet either, anyone have an idea of current timescales?

Grondair 3 posts

I applied 5 days ago and was accepted for the Platinum card (via a referral link). Likewise no email confirmation or card yet.

There’s a comment on the original article saying Amex are aware of a technical issue but apparently no timescale on a fix as yet…

Wonder if it’s only affecting those who applied via a referral link?

Jipster 37 posts

I gave it 10 days since applying and rang them. They confirmed I had been accepted however I have received no email from them in regards to the application or acceptance.

They did say due to a glut of applications they are running behind by a few weeks getting the actual cards out.

Ring if you need to find out urgently (I did due to a holiday coming up) otherwise hold fire and they will be in touch

GiddyKipper 8 posts

10 days and waiting for me too.

Used a referral link – no points posted on that account as yet.

Approved at point of application – no email received.

Have contacted Amex who simply state wait another 3-5 business days! No mention of any delays.

I appreciate that there may be a glut of applications slowing things down but Amex simply need to advise their customers of this if this is the case.

Far from impressed as I would have liked the card by today at the latest as off travelling Monday morning and benefits would have been utilised.

AFKAE 147 posts

10 days and waiting for me too.

Used a referral link – no points posted on that account as yet.

Approved at point of application – no email received.

Have contacted Amex who simply state wait another 3-5 business days! No mention of any delays.

I appreciate that there may be a glut of applications slowing things down but Amex simply need to advise their customers of this if this is the case.

Far from impressed as I would have liked the card by today at the latest as off travelling Monday morning and benefits would have been utilised.

That pretty well exactly mirrors my situation too.

whuaremassive 42 posts

Thanks all, frustrating too as we have had some big spends that have gone out the last couple of days.

We sit and wait!

lordy 51 posts

Business Platinium this week next working day. sent tracked 24

The Streets 40 posts

I think it is just a Platinum issue. I have been waiting over 10 days for referral points and for friends to receive their new Platinum cards. Whilst I applied for a Marriott Bonvoy card and points and card sent out almost immediately

whuaremassive 42 posts

Just updating to say we have now had an email with a rejection, 10 days after applying and getting online approval

AFKAE 147 posts

Just updating to say we have now had an email with a rejection, 10 days after applying and getting online approval

I’ve just had that today as well. It blamed Experian credit reference check, so I looked it up 999. Phoned the number on the Amex email rejection and he said it was their internal referencing system. So, I said that’s not what the email says. After a bit of silence he said he would put it back for a review from their approvals team. He said expect to hear in 3-5 days. Let’s see what happens next.

LeeG 34 posts

Same here with player 2. 995 Experian rating, and no sign of an Amex search in the search history section of the Experian report. Unless searches take a while to appear it all seems a little odd.

Alexthenotsogreat 15 posts

I applied for the personal platinum on Saturday 13th, and got my card in the post today. I just went via Topcashback and not a referral, so not sure if that resulted in it being speedier.

JDB 4,384 posts

I’ve just had that today as well. It blamed Experian credit reference check, so I looked it up 999. Phoned the number on the Amex email rejection and he said it was their internal referencing system. So, I said that’s not what the email says. After a bit of silence he said he would put it back for a review from their approvals team. He said expect to hear in 3-5 days. Let’s see what happens next.

The Experian ‘number’ is a complete irrelevance/gimmick – credit card companies have their own systems/algorithms/criteria and don’t use the so called credit score. Amex is particularly idiosyncratic, using its own proprietary long term data and factors in such things as household income although that has no effective value if it comes to the crunch (ie collecting bad debts).

Banks and other credit providers are naturally tightening their lending criteria in light of severe pressures on most household incomes, rapidly rising interest/mortgage rates and the worsening UK and global economic situation that will lead to job losses and defaults. They are also being pressed on this front by the PRA and FCA.

If you have lots of credit cards with big limits, even if utilisation is very low and they are paid off each month, that’s not good for new applications; it’s a sign of financial weakness, not strength. In this environment, it’s going to be a mistake to be playing around with cards, opening and closing accounts assuming you are sure to get another one.

AFKAE 147 posts

The Experian ‘number’ is a complete irrelevance/gimmick – credit card companies have their own systems/algorithms/criteria and don’t use the so called credit score. Amex is particularly idiosyncratic, using its own proprietary long term data and factors in such things as household income although that has no effective value if it comes to the crunch (ie collecting bad debts).

Banks and other credit providers are naturally tightening their lending criteria in light of severe pressures on most household incomes, rapidly rising interest/mortgage rates and the worsening UK and global economic situation that will lead to job losses and defaults. They are also being pressed on this front by the PRA and FCA.

If you have lots of credit cards with big limits, even if utilisation is very low and they are paid off each month, that’s not good for new applications; it’s a sign of financial weakness, not strength. In this environment, it’s going to be a mistake to be playing around with cards, opening and closing accounts assuming you are sure to get another one.

I understand your point JDB, however the rejection letter specifically referred to an Experian reference. When I called this transformed into an internal referencing system……who knows.

JDB 4,384 posts

@AFKAE I wouldn’t pay much attention to the reasons card companies give; for obvious reasons they don’t want to give you specifics if they say anything at all. To the extent they cite Experian, it may relate just to an ID search and things that don’t directly relate to your creditworthiness.

AFKAE 147 posts

@AFKAE I wouldn’t pay much attention to the reasons card companies give; for obvious reasons they don’t want to give you specifics if they say anything at all. To the extent they cite Experian, it may relate just to an ID search and things that don’t directly relate to your creditworthiness.

I’m not sure whether the fact that I was referred by Mrs AFKAE as plat and I’m a BAPP makes things better or worse!! I was hoping to get 24,000 points for the referral and 65,000 for £6K in 6 months on my new plat. If the rejection is confirmed I’ll go for a retention bonus on MrsAFKAE’s plat which is just coming up to renewal.

rum 275 posts

For what it’s worth, I applied for a third card on the 4th – it’s the ARCC card. Got an instant acceptance and used a link from a cashback site.
    On the 5th I received an email saying that the card was despatched. To my amazement, it was on my doormat on Sat 6th. I should also add that our postal service here has been very hit and miss – we don’t get regular deliveries throughout the week, so that is even more astonishing.

hak 6 posts

Applied for Plat on Tuesday and it rocked up with the supplementary card this morning.

GiddyKipper 8 posts

Having waited 12 days after initial application showing as accepted, I also received email the unsuccessful application email this morning.

I have no issue with being declined but what I feel is lost in this instance is the fact that several people on this thread (myself included) received the application successful message at point of application. Why then, have people subsequently been declined? Just don’t show an acceptance in the first place!

Having contacted Amex twice querying the delay in my application I was informed that my card would definitely be despatched in 3-5 business days. Clearly this was not correct.

This has left a sour taste TBF. We have the Barclays Premier account and Barclaycard Plus and this poor experience has tipped myself and wife’s business towards the Barclays camp (I know they ain’t perfect by any stretch!!). Cancelling our BAPP accounts in due course (baby/bath water moment!!).

yorkshireRich 186 posts

Applied Saturday 6th August. the application went smoothly and had a tick and said I was accepted.
    Didn’t then hear anything until this morning, when I had an email saying “you have been accepted and your card is on your way”.

I’ve got home tonight and received the welcome pack so speak, along with the card. Got a fairly decent credit limit with it and used the card tonight for petrol and food, so good to go now to get the bonus avios.

Grondair 3 posts

Just as another data point my Platinum card arrived by post this morning 11 days after applying. My “Your card application has been approved” email only arrived this afternoon at 4pm.

Definitely seems that there are some gremlins in the Amex IT system which I’ve never experienced before!

dcrdev 2 posts

I applied on Tuesday – instant acceptance, received an email saying the card had been sent, but also said to wait up to 10 business days; which doesn’t add up if the card has been sent. Are the platinum cards sent via registered post, or is it just standard post as it is with the other cards?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.