Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Curve – any credit cards which don’t charge for cash withdrawal?

• XmaX 21 posts

I’ve had a Curve for quite a while, but ever since both Curve and credit card providers supposedly started treating Curve ATM withdrawals as cash advances, I never attempted doing so. Surely though, someone must have been a bit more adventurous than me, and knows if there are any credit cards which are ‘safe’ for Curve withdrawals?

One thing I did try though, is to see if it’s possible to get cashback when paying with Curve – ie. buy something in Tesco, request £100 cashback, get points. Sadly, it appears that even though Curve is in theory a debit card, this functionality is disabled, at least when Curve is linked to a credit card.

Toppcat 50 posts

I am yet to use a credit card which treats Curve ATM withdrawals as anything other than a purchase – you should be fine. As ever, YMMV, so try a small amount on your card and see what happens.

NorthernLass 7,547 posts

As per @Toppcat, though I am now only using HH with it.

Crafty 150 posts

I’ve twice had my Curve Metal card swallowed by a machine because it’s too thick. Not worth the hassle!

Alex 46 posts

I am using a free Virgin Atlantic Credit Card pretty much every month to get some cash, always goes as a purchase. Sometimes I withdraw £400 per month – no fees whatsoever.

John 1,000 posts

I’ve twice had my Curve Metal card swallowed by a machine because it’s too thick. Not worth the hassle!

I can’t remember where but I’m sure I’ve used a few contactless ATMs with curve

whuaremassive 42 posts

horizon works fine, did small test last month

Matt 322 posts

I have taken cash out on my Horizon before (up until October) without issue. I made a cash withdrawal in late November and I have been charged interest.

Almost the last use for my Curve card gone.

whuaremassive 42 posts

I have taken cash out on my Horizon before (up until October) without issue. I made a cash withdrawal in late November and I have been charged interest.

Almost the last use for my Curve card gone.

I did a withdrawal mid december, no interest charges on my January statement, also no charges for transactions with Che

orudge 9 posts

The “card with cashback” option works in Morrisons self service machines with a Curve card, for me at least. Works too if there’s an Airtime or similar offer for Morrisons…

I have a credit card (not been open for new applicants for some years, but was promoted on HfP for a while) with which I can withdraw cash via Curve and get 0.5% back, though I don’t do it very often these days.

Carlos 758 posts

Has anyone used cashback (with curve) instore, for example at a till or post office?
    What is the assigned card code in this situation? Same as a cash ATM?

George K 289 posts

Lloyds cashback (ex Avios) is fine.

XmaX 21 posts

Has anyone used cashback (with curve) instore, for example at a till or post office?
    What is the assigned card code in this situation? Same as a cash ATM?

I tried – it doesn’t work. Even the cashier was surprised.
    In theory though, as far as I’m aware, this would not have a cash withdrawal card code, so would have been a great way for MS.

VinZ 142 posts

I am using a free Virgin Atlantic Credit Card pretty much every month to get some cash, always goes as a purchase. Sometimes I withdraw £400 per month – no fees whatsoever.

Doesn’t work for me… I’ve used it a couple of times and I was charged interest and cash advance fees…

VinZ 142 posts

I’ve been using a Nationwide Visa credit card for cash with Curve. I wonder how the new Barclaycard avios card will treat cash withdrawals… I’ll give it a go when I get it. Does anybody know already?

AndyS 24 posts

This is interesting. I have not as yet had any problem with either the free virgin card or MBNA horizon, as recently as last month. I tend to avoid “obvious” cash points like those at banks and instead use those outside supermarkets, so usually just appears on my statement as (eg) Sainsburys and I only tend to get 20/30 out at a time. Also living in a fairly small town I don’t suspect many people have curve cards or even virgin or MBNA so there probably isn’t enough of a usage pattern to trigger something at these locations.

Rui N. 831 posts

You really think that your bank can’t see it was an ATM withdrawal because it was a Sainsbury’s ATM?! I have some bad news for you…

AndyS 24 posts

Well, I don’t know what they can and can’t see but I do know they haven’t charged any interest for a cash advance on any of these transactions. Or they can see it but some operator thinks it’s a mistake and overrides it. I don’t know, I just report the end result!

Rui N. 831 posts

Yes, all cash transactions are checked by hand, naturally. 🙂
    I also never had any cash advance on my free virgin card. Usually go to a Lloyds and withdraw £200.

ChasP 161 posts

Barclaycard – the old cashback one not the new Avios – was fine 10 days ago

kebl2555 29 posts

I’ve been using a Nationwide Visa credit card for cash with Curve. I wonder how the new Barclaycard avios card will treat cash withdrawals… I’ll give it a go when I get it. Does anybody know already?

Did you end up trying this?

memesweeper 1,253 posts

Last summer, for two months, I absolutely battered one underlying CC and Curve for cash out of ATMs. I knew I was running a risk but needs must. When the inevitable call for “what the hell are you doing?” and source of funds checking came through it was, to my surprise, from Curve, not the underlying CC bank. They were satisfied with my answers once supplied with supporting documentation. I stopped shortly afterwards and now withdraw a hundred or two per quarter, which is the only cash I need (and can therefore justify).

Cash withdrawals and deposits as a route for MS is a huge flashing bright red flag for AML and fraud checks and not recommended. Curve themselves are not lax and will spot this, never mind any other financial institutions involved.

Why the underlying CC cheerfully paid out points on this accidental bonanza – rather than charging an advance fee is a mystery to me, and a mystery I will not be investigating further.

willie 22 posts

Anyone know whether Barclays works with Curve for a cash withdrawal?

Need to get £600 of Euros (Curve Metal) out today.

Rui N. 831 posts

Worked last month for me with no fees. Can’t off course guarantee that this month still works.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.