Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Curve replacing personal cards with business cards if used with COT

• Rui N. 831 posts

It says on the back of your card if it is commercial.

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Nope. No personal or business commercial on front or rear.

Chas 139 posts

A few comments above suggest that the fee for using a Corporate debit card (i.e. Curve) directly with HMRC is only 0.1%. Is that really the case? I thought it was more than that, but I’ve been busy googling and can’t find any mention of the actual amount on HMRC’s website.

Harrier25 852 posts

Nope. No personal or business commercial on front or rear.

If it has nothing on the back, then you have a personal card.

No Longer Entitled 117 posts

A few comments above suggest that the fee for using a Corporate debit card (i.e. Curve) directly with HMRC is only 0.1%. Is that really the case? I thought it was more than that, but I’ve been busy googling and can’t find any mention of the actual amount on HMRC’s website.

As best as I can tell HMRC website is entirely silent on the charges. It is in statue however but only for credit cards. I can see no mention anywhere of a corporate debit card.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/1262/made

Skywalker 700 posts

As best as I can tell HMRC website is entirely silent on the charges. It is in statue however but only for credit cards. I can see no mention anywhere of a corporate debit card.

https://www.gov.uk/pay-tax-debit-credit-card – it doesn’t say what the charges are, only that they exist for certain types of cards.

kt74 43 posts

Finally got THAT email last night, but no idea where I will end up as a 50/50 business/personal customer (other than not using Curve at all…)

It says I can only spend 1500 a month for business (which is almost as ridiculous as Barclaycard’s business credit limits), and gave the option of “opting in” to a business card as an eligible business customer. But its terms (and those of most other business card providers) explicitly state that business cards cannot be for personal spend (but NOT the reverse)

So the only solution I can see is if they let us have two cards, as others have said above, OR to change their terms to allow personal spend on a business card

They’ve also not been clear if it’s a business debit card or a business credit card. No point having another business credit card, because I’ve already got 3 of them

All those posters saying “it’s to save on HMRC fees” are completely missing the point. HMRC fees are a tax deductible expense, and Curve just facilitated paying HMRC with a credit card, after HMRC stopped accepting personal credit cards due to EU law. Without that benefit, there’s no point in paying for Curve Metal – if it’s AN Other business credit card, then I may as well cut the middle man and just use COT, Barclaycard or Natwest

Chas 139 posts

https://www.gov.uk/pay-tax-debit-credit-card – it doesn’t say what the charges are, only that they exist for certain types of cards.

Thanks – looks like your research had exactly the same results that mine did! Time to do a test transaction I think…

Jonathans 121 posts

It’s easy to do a test on the HRMC website to get the surcharge cost without submitting a payment as the surcharges bit updates on the fly. But i have done some for you;

CoT – £1000 payment results in a £17 surcharge so 1.7%
    Lloyds business debit – £1000 payment results in a 60p surcharge so 0.06%
    Starling business debit – £1000 payment results in a £1 surcharge so 0.1%
    Curve commercial debit – £1000 payment results in a £1 surcharge so 0.1%
    Curve personal debit – £1000 payment results in a 0 surcharge
    Amex still stupidly not supported

You only need to input the first 6 digits to get the surcharge if anyone wants me to check for them?

Chas 139 posts

It’s easy to do a test on the HRMC website to get the surcharge cost without submitting a payment as the surcharges bit updates on the fly. But i have done some for you;

CoT – £1000 payment results in a £17 surcharge so 1.7%
    Lloyds business debit – £1000 payment results in a 60p surcharge so 0.06%
    Starling business debit – £1000 payment results in a £1 surcharge so 0.1%
    Curve personal debit – £1000 payment results in a 0 surcharge

You only need to input the first 6 digits to get the surcharge if anyone wants me to check for them?

That’s awesome – thank you!

kt74 43 posts

Thanks, that’s great. If that’s the case, that’s nothing, and as a financing charge, it’s totally tax deductible

My questions would be:
    Are we getting a Curve debit card or some new business credit card? (Email is unclear, no Ts & C’s, just “opt in”)
    Will Curve allow personal spend on its business card?
    If not, then how do we get 2 Curve cards – facepalm…

As for Amex, is that an Amex personal card you tried, which is presumably not permitted for the same reason personal credit cards are not allowed? Anyone know if Amex corporate cards work?

Kowalski 105 posts

Thanks, that’s great. If that’s the case, that’s nothing, and as a financing charge, it’s totally tax deductible

My questions would be:
    Are we getting a Curve debit card or some new business credit card? (Email is unclear, no Ts & C’s, just “opt in”)
    Will Curve allow personal spend on its business card?
    If not, then how do we get 2 Curve cards – facepalm…

As for Amex, is that an Amex personal card you tried, which is presumably not permitted for the same reason personal credit cards are not allowed? Anyone know if Amex corporate cards work?

The Curve business card is a debit card.

Harrier25 852 posts

Revolut personal debit cards don’t attract an HMRC surcharge either.

So using Curve business in front of CoT to HMRC will result in a 0.1% charge for the first £x pcm depending upon which level card you have. Doesn’t seem awful.

Chas 139 posts

Revolut personal debit cards don’t attract an HMRC surcharge either.

Since loading of Revolut by credit card ceased to be possible, I’ve struggled to find a points angle for my Revolut…. 🤔

Chas 139 posts

So using Curve business in front of CoT to HMRC will result in a 0.1% charge for the first £x pcm depending upon which level card you have. Doesn’t seem awful.

Agreed. But the issue will be that it’s against the T&Cs to put personal spend through a commercial (curve or CoT) card so we wouldn’t be able to use this for personal taxes. We would need to be allowed to have a second curve card to link our personal credit cards to for that. If they launched a business curve app that would allow us to have and manage two separate cards, but as things currently stand we can only have one, and need to choose accordingly.

Harrier25 852 posts

Since loading of Revolut by credit card ceased to be possible, I’ve struggled to find a points angle for my Revolut…. 🤔

It’s the best FX debit card there is in the UK. It’s the only option left which converts at near perfect interbank exchange rates.

Agreed. But the issue will be that it’s against the T&Cs to put personal spend through a commercial (curve or CoT) card so we wouldn’t be able to use this for personal taxes. We would need to be allowed to have a second curve card to link our personal credit cards to for that. If they launched a business curve app that would allow us to have and manage two separate cards, but as things currently stand we can only have one, and need to choose accordingly.

I only use Curve for paying HMRC. Choice is simply whether personal or business has the bigger bill. For me, it is always business so it’s not really a difficult decision. As others have said, all good things come to an end. This at least still leaves me one horse in the race.

kt74 43 posts

The Curve business card is a debit card.

Ok cool, so can we use it for personal spend? (Which is against the current TS & Cs on its website)

And if not, can we have 2 cards?

I would have asked on the Curve Community forum, but (a) there is nobody official there any more, so it’s like screaming into the void, and (b) they’ve just posted they’re closing it down, so HfP it is

rams 223 posts

So have until June 10 to spend £10k per month fronted in metal at HMRC with COT and then need to switch to corporate debit where you’ll pay 0.1% fee. Assume it also needs to be fronted – so 10k limit still applies?

Nate1309 60 posts

What happens to my limits if I switch card? Currently I have a monthly limit of £150k.

Anyone taken out curve recently and know what the starter limits are? I could use player 2 (wife) to have the business or personal as a new card.

Pcwsolutions 1 post

Hi All
    So I spoke with curve metal they confirmed I already have a commercial card which I have been using with COT for years to pay VAT childcare and pay
    I get charged about 0.1% which is pennies
    I just have to spread it over 2 months so I don’t get hit with the fronted charge after 10k

Hope this helps

jonnyfly 38 posts

Hi. I’m a bit confused!
    So I also unexpectedly received a Curve Metal Business card, purportedly to replace my Curve Metal consumer card.

1. Can I keep using the consumer one – until 10 June23? (or is the consumer one dead now?)
    2. Now I’m switched to business, does that mean I can continue to use it with CoT for HMRC up to the £10k/month limit, but I now have to pay 0.1% instead of 0%?
    3. Or does the 0.1% fee only kick-in after after 10 June?

4. And everything else not related to CoT and HMRC stays the same as before with the consumer card?

Apologies for being a bit dense but there was no clear communications with the card or on email. Thx.

rams 223 posts

Has anyone had any luck getting both a commercial and personal card?

Newbee1 1 post

Hi Folks,

Currently Curve wants to know if my spendings are personal or business related as I am spending much money. I have a few questions around this and maybe you know:

1. Can I use a Curve Business Card with a credit card for private Use? If yes: Will the credit card issuer of the credit card for private use take any notice of it? For example because of MCCs or whatever data?

2. If I make purchases at online shops with a Curve Business Card will the online shop take notice of it that it was a purchase with a business card and I will lose the right of withdrawal or even my orders will get cancelled because only end consumers are eligible to buy in the shop? Just the possibility of it would make me afraid of using a business card at all.

Thanks for your experience!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.