Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Denied entry to contracted BA lounge in Phoenix

• MKB 71 posts

This is a new one on me.

I went into the Amex Centurion lounge in PHX. They had no hot vegetarian options, so I thought I would try the Escape lounge next door, BA’s contracted lounge and as I had a Club World ticket. I was denied access as I had already been into the Amex lounge.

The BA gate supervisor said this was wrong and went to speak to the lounge, but returned saying it was policy and nothing she could do.

Staff gave conflicting information as to whether food would be the same or different in the two lounges.

AJA 1,071 posts

Lounge access in the USA is a mystery. I agree it sounds wrong but if the lounge dragons deny you access there’s not much you can do about it. And since it’s not directly controlled by BA there’s not much you can do complaining though I think I might be inclined to complain to BA anyway.

Skywalker 700 posts

This website lists the Escape Lounge as a “Centurion Studio Partner”, so I am wondering if this contributed to the denial of entry.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,084 posts

This just sounds weird.

You using your Amex benefits to access the centurion lounge is a totally separate issue to using your BA benefits to access a totally different lounge especially when the lounges will get paid by BA.

I’m would definitely follow this up with BA as a complaint.

TGLoyalty 536 posts

This is bonkers what do it have to do with the dragon that you’ve used your Amex to visit another lounge.

If you’d used the BA access then perhaps but it’s none of their business if you’ve used a Priority Pass or Amex or Dragonpass etc to visit multiple lounges.

Absolutely complain to BA and hopefully the dragon winds their neck in next time

Rich_A 92 posts

I would guess the lounge dragon was concerned that they wouldn’t be reimbursed by BA, because you’d already ‘used’ your boarding pass to access another lounge.

Incorrect, but possibly blanket policy?

e14 259 posts

I know exactly which group of dragons you are talking about, they are beyond useless.

I asked for the email address so I could feed back to Amex and they refused, this was after almost exactly the same issue – had entered the lounge and there was no food out so went back out after three minutes to access the other lounge … nope and then they lied that they had told me food was in the lounge when it wouldn’t be for another hour.

Please feedback to BA, you might get some Avios thrown at you p.s. the AA lounges at PHX are truly awful as well but slightly better dragons.

Skywalker 700 posts

Even though you were trying to get in on your CW ticket, Amex states these PHX lounge entry rules on their website

https://www.thecenturionlounge.com/locations/phx/

“Card Members may not visit both The Centurion® Lounge and Escape Lounge at Phoenix Airport in the same day. Learn more about who can access the lounge.”

Maybe this is what the staff were referring to.

e14 259 posts

Even though you were trying to get in on your CW ticket, Amex states these PHX lounge entry rules on their website

https://www.thecenturionlounge.com/locations/phx/

“Card Members may not visit both The Centurion® Lounge and Escape Lounge at Phoenix Airport in the same day. Learn more about who can access the lounge.”

Maybe this is what the staff were referring to.

That is what they referred me to and also the OP, but the OP entered one lounge using his Amex and wanted to enter the other using his BA Boarding pass entry – two different methods. Logical you should be able to enter the Escape using the BA Boarding Pass and the Cent Lounge using Amex on the same day.

Skywalker 700 posts

Agree with the CW ticket thing @e14 and I also find it strange – it shouldn’t be an issue, but no dice it seems.

dmm27 55 posts

Whilst it might be 2 different entry methods, do they ask to see the boarding pass when you enter using Amex? I’ve always needed to show a boarding pass when using Dragon Pass, so presumably they have tracked it with the boarding pass.

We were in Phoenix a year or so ago and went to one lounge and then the “BA” Escape lounge without issues (although I think I count “not enough space” and having to wait 30 mins to get into BA Escape lounge an issue!). The food was better in the Escape lounge though.

e14 259 posts

Whilst it might be 2 different entry methods, do they ask to see the boarding pass when you enter using Amex? I’ve always needed to show a boarding pass when using Dragon Pass, so presumably they have tracked it with the boarding pass.

We were in Phoenix a year or so ago and went to one lounge and then the “BA” Escape lounge without issues (although I think I count “not enough space” and having to wait 30 mins to get into BA Escape lounge an issue!). The food was better in the Escape lounge though.

Yes they ask to see the boarding pass and for some unknown reason weren’t happy with my Plat Amex being metal. It wasn’t just me then that had to wait outside as the lounge was busy, but then was admitted even though no one left – although to find no food !! Their service attitude in my opinion was non existent at best.

MKB 71 posts

OP here. BA have given 10,000 Avios between myself and my partner, which is fair. Maddeningly, they have focused on recompense rather than fixing this lounge operator’s denial-of-entry policy.

e14 259 posts

OP here. BA have given 10,000 Avios between myself and my partner, which is fair. Maddeningly, they have focused on recompense rather than fixing this lounge operator’s denial-of-entry policy.

Well done, I’m still pissed at those idiots and this was last June.

TGLoyalty 536 posts

But the boarding pass only verified the name for his first lounge entry the actual entry was via the OP’s Amex.

The second lounge the boarding pass was both the method of entry and for the verification of name. Amex’s entry rule is irrelevant.

Glad BA gave decent compo but shame they won’t correct the dragons.

Skywalker 700 posts

@TGLoyalty “Glad BA gave decent compo but shame they won’t correct the dragons.”

That’s only because the outcome wasn’t so good for the last brave soul that tried.

e14 259 posts

@TGLoyalty “Glad BA gave decent compo but shame they won’t correct the dragons.”

That’s only because the outcome wasn’t so good for the last brave soul that tried.

I don’t often question other people’s educational aspirations but the Amex staff at Phoenix would probably take a compliant as a complement.

cin3 168 posts

How could they possibly have known you’d been in the other lounge?

TGLoyalty 536 posts

Their system will be set up to show that and seems they are contract lounges

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.