Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Diamond renewal via buying InterContinental Ambassador – still works?

• iEimis 81 posts

I’m no maths wizz but wouldn’t that be 1001 year extension?! Lifetime Diamond, anyway 😂

You are right! 😂

mark2 126 posts

Thanks for the reminder. Our accounts both showed Diamond Status but expiring on 31/12/22 (actually 12/31/22 of course). I risked 40,000 points for Ambassador on my account and immediately extended until 12/24. Later did same for wife’s which took much longer but extended after a few hours.
    Originally got Spire when first introduced by transferring points from Virgin. I became Spire in 2015 before my first stay at IHG (Holiday Inn Kingston ON) when it was so new that the staff had not heard of it. For no apparent reason I and my wife have both retained the status, Which was pretty worthless, until being upgraded to Diamond. If we had had free, but poor, breakfast in Kingston we would have missed out on the excellent bakery/cafe called Pan Chancho five minutes walk away.

Harrier25 848 posts

I risked 40,000 points for Ambassador on my account and immediately extended until 12/24.

Were you renewing an existing Ambassador membership to get Diamond tier extended until 12/24?

mark2 126 posts

Were you renewing an existing Ambassador membership to get Diamond tier extended until 12/24?

No, just Diamond.

David 15 posts

I was diamond until 31 Dec 2022 so purchased ambassador (using points) just before the end of the year but my diamond only extended to 2023.

Guernsey Globetrotter 585 posts

I was Diamond Elite until 31 Dec 2022 so purchased ambassador (using points) just before the end of the year but my diamond only extended to 2023.

That seems unlucky, although Mrs Trotter’s first-time purchase of Ambassador (via points) on 02 September only extended her Diamond to 31/12/2023.

I renewed my Ambassador (via cash) on 21 December and that extended my Diamond Elite status to 31/12/2024.

IHG I.T. – go figure !

Harrier25 848 posts

If you held off purchasing Ambassador to extend Diamond tier until the end of 2023, then do it now. I just have and my Diamond tier has been extended until 31/12/2024 as a new Ambassador Club member. It’s clear now that waiting until early 2023 gives you an additional year extension of Diamond tier. Well worth $200 or 40,000 points.

zxydxdm 14 posts

it is not working anymore

Guernsey Globetrotter 585 posts

@zxydxdm can you be a bit more specific please? How long have you waited since paying for Ambassador as the Diamond extension was never instant. Also, did you renew using points or cash? More data would be very helpful… thanks 🙏

NorthernLass 7,465 posts

My theory on this, though I might be wrong. Ambassador gives you Platinum, so if you’re already Platinum IHG’s IT thinks that it should upgrade your status and upgrades you to Diamond instead. If you’re already Diamond, the system can’t downgrade you to Platinum, so it retains the Diamond status and this causes it to be renewed for another year. It was working around July/August when we renewed OH’s Ambassador, even though IHG subsequently extended them all anyway!

It would be good to have more detail, including what status the OP had when they bought Ambassador.

colin50 3 posts

Also just renewed Ambassador and didn’t receive the Diamond extension (yet). How long did it take to appear for others? I recall it being pretty instant for me in the past. Renewed with cash.

NorthernLass 7,465 posts

Just checked back and renewal was July 4th, but email confirming Diamond extension didn’t arrive until July 13th. We probably didn’t notice the gap as OH was already Diamond. So it seems to take at least a few days.

colin50 3 posts

Good to know, I’ll report back. Fingers crossed it still works, had a good few years out of this loophole!

kai 77 posts

Just checked back and renewal was July 4th, but email confirming Diamond extension didn’t arrive until July 13th. We probably didn’t notice the gap as OH was already Diamond. So it seems to take at least a few days.

I believe that’s an email sent to ex-Creation cardholders and has nothing to go with Ambassador renewal.

NorthernLass 7,465 posts

Was that the day that email was sent? Maybe it was just a coincidence then!

DonLee 213 posts

Good to know, I’ll report back. Fingers crossed it still works, had a good few years out of this loophole!

Based on my own experience the extension was almost instant. There are lots of reports saying bug has been fixed in past two days.

colin50 3 posts

Based on my own experience the extension was almost instant. There are lots of reports saying bug has been fixed in past two days.

I think you’re right. It’s always been instant for me for 8+ years so not looking good. Definitely unlucky as my renewal window just opened, but all good things must come to an end !

zxydxdm 14 posts

@zxydxdm can you be a bit more specific please? How long have you waited since paying for Ambassador as the Diamond extension was never instant. Also, did you renew using points or cash? More data would be very helpful… thanks 🙏

My diamond expires 12.31 whereas Ambassador expires Feb. I renew with cash online, the diamond status didn’t get renewed this time. It’s been a few days.

ukdoctor 20 posts

I think you’re right. It’s always been instant for me for 8+ years so not looking good. Definitely unlucky as my renewal window just opened, but all good things must come to an end !

Did it last week and was instant .. extended till December 2024

hitthelow 8 posts

Definitely do – will be interesting to see whether there’s just a small delay in the reporting or not.

NorthernLass 7,465 posts

My friend’s Ambassador expires on December 1st. She was going to renew it shortly after that date to see if it would be extended until Dec 2025 (some people did get the equivalent of this last December)! I’ll keep an eye on reports coming in between now and then.

David 15 posts

I really hope IHG don’t fix the ‘glitch’. Who is actually going to attempt to stay 70 nights for IHG diamond. You’d be far better staying at Hilton or Marriott. Marriott Titanium can be achieved with just 55 nights using the credit card.

IHG diamond is the only IHG status that makes it worthwhile staying at IHG properties.

SGJNI 69 posts

Why attempt 70 nights when 40 (for milestone purposes), or less, will earn the necessary points using the purchase option when necessary getting up to 5000 extra per night? A five night stay booked this way can often earn 40,000 plus points. 15/20 nights might just get you to Diamond if you plan it well. Just buy the additional points at the time of booking when available.

Paul 133 posts

According reports on Loyalty Lobby this loop hole has now been closed as of the 14th/15th September. Thanks to this and many other forums IHG have apparently caught up. I suspect that those of us who did it earlier and who already have status to 31/12/2024 will now see IHG target them to remove this unearned status. Roll on status matches!!

Anna 458 posts

I can’t see them going through all the accounts to weed out who got it from buying Ambassador as opposed to who they gave it to for having previously held the Creation card (or, indeed, through number of stays!)

Is that right, though, are points purchased when making a booking counted as qualifying for status?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.