Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Diamond renewal via buying InterContinental Ambassador – still works?

• CraigV 10 posts

Due to post-COVID brain fog, I accidentally lapsed my Ambassador membership last July. I haven’t done enough travel in 2022 to retain Diamond. Does anyone know please whether a new Ambassador signup (rather than a renewal) will generate an extension to Diamond?

NorthernLass 7,466 posts

It has done in the recent past!

meta 1,426 posts

If you are no longer Diamond Elite then no. If you are still Diamond Elite at the time of purchasing the Amb membership, then yes.

NorthernLass 7,466 posts

I assumed OP is still Diamond as he said “extension” to Diamond – aren’t IHG statuses valid till February or did I dream that?!

danimal 85 posts

I literally just renewed a lapsed Ambassador membership – I got 15000 points and Diamond extended from 31/12/23 to 31/12/24. That’s a lot of free breakfasts and upgrades for $200.

CraigV 10 posts

My Diamond was to 31 Dec 2022. Website still lists me as Diamond.
    Thank you all will give it a go.

NorthernLass 7,466 posts

I literally just renewed a lapsed Ambassador membership – I got 15000 points and Diamond extended from 31/12/23 to 31/12/24. That’s a lot of free breakfasts and upgrades for $200.

It is. I made my $200 back on one stay – 3 nights at the Kimpton Seafire where breakfast is $94 per day for 2!

CraigV 10 posts

And it worked! I now have Diamond status through 31 Dec 2024. Thanks to all for your support.

Tracy 315 posts

@CraigV, thanks for the confirmation. I did this last year and it worked fine. OH needs to do it this year, presumably before he loses diamond as like @NorthernLass, we both have nights booked at Kimpton Seafire in March….

danimal 85 posts

Kimpton Seafire is great for ludicrous upgrades! It’s a shame that Kimpton are no longer part of the Ambassador program, easily my favourite hotel brand.

NorthernLass 7,466 posts

+1, always have loads of fun at Kimptons. @Tracy, you’ll love it, make sure you hammer the morning coffee and wine hour (and valet parking if applicable) to get some value out of that $80 resort fee! Also if you want a lounger at the front of the beach (instead of 3rd row back with a view of the back of the lounger in front), go and get your coffee from the lobby by 8am, get them to set you up on your chosen lounger, then use the 90-minute grace period to go and enjoy the breakfast!

Tracy 315 posts

@NorthernLass, looking forward to our trip now. It bloody better not snow in London on 16th March though 😂. Thanks for the tips on the hotel, will definitely enjoy the wine hour but I’m more a breakfast as late as possible person and don’t make it to the beach until lunchtime…

NorthernLass 7,466 posts

Lol – I have a very stubborn body clock so I’m always up at the crack of dawn when travelling west! It’ll be interesting to see how I fare in Dubai and Doha in December as we haven’t been east for about 14 years. As I recall breakfast was served till 11 so quite civilised for late risers!

RonnieB 288 posts

Lol – I have a very stubborn body clock so I’m always up at the crack of dawn when travelling west! It’ll be interesting to see how I fare in Dubai and Doha in December as we haven’t been east for about 14 years. As I recall breakfast was served till 11 so quite civilised for late risers!

Even if you travel West….you need to travel East at some point?

NorthernLass 7,466 posts

Yes, but when arriving back home there’s no dilemma about hotel breakfast and getting to the beach, sadly!

NorthernLass 7,466 posts

Data point from a friend who was IHG Platinum via the free Creation MC until last year – she bought Ambassador hoping to stay Platinum this year and appears to have actually been promoted to Diamond as of January 1st. She’s not earned it via stays so it must be the IHG IT fairy at work!

Cx 20 posts

Decided to purchase ambassador ststus. What is the link to use that will enable the diamond extension?

Peter K 551 posts

Decided to purchase ambassador ststus. What is the link to use that will enable the diamond extension?

If you were diamond already then it happens automatically.

Cx 20 posts

If you were diamond already then it happens automatically.

I meant I can just login to my IHG and submit my payment on the link.

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/ambassador/gb/en/enrollment/payment

stevenhp1987 330 posts

@Cx, yes.

You can pay using either 40k IHG points or $200.

Signing up today may extend existing status to the end of 2024.

Cx 20 posts

@Cx, yes.

You can pay using either 40k IHG points or $200.

Signing up today may extend existing status to the end of 2024.

Purchased and straightaway confirmed diamond extended to end of 2024

ClaireF 26 posts

My ambassador membership was due to run out in April. Thanks to hfp I have managed to renew early and lock in diamond ambassador till 31st Dec 3024. We have ihg stays planned for singapore and potentially Thailand next year so very pleased I will have maximum status.

iEimis 80 posts

My ambassador membership was due to run out in April. Thanks to hfp I have managed to renew early and lock in diamond ambassador till 31st Dec 3024. We have ihg stays planned for singapore and potentially Thailand next year so very pleased I will have maximum status.

Wow 101 year extension!

NorthernLass 7,466 posts

I’m no maths wizz but wouldn’t that be 1001 year extension?! Lifetime Diamond, anyway 😂

ClaireF 26 posts

Sorry should have been 2024 but still very happy with the result. 😁

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.