Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Downgrade/Cancel

• davet 107 posts

I have a barclays avios plus card and I’ve triggered all the welcome bonus’s and got the voucher in my account

I already have a American express ba premium card which I am still going for the 241 voucher on

is there any benefit to keeping the card or could I save £15 a month by downgrading it or just cancelling it in case sign up bonus’s come back in a few years?

Anna 458 posts

Downgrade, spend £20k and get 20k avios and another voucher!

Jan M 58 posts

I have downgraded after hitting the spending target for the voucher. It’s very easy to do in the app (assuming they show you being eligible for the normal Avios card). They’ll let you use your plus card till the end of your monthly billing period.

Currently without a card though because the new one hasn’t arrived yet. The fault of the strikes no doubt, rather than Barclays.

Longer term plan is to cancel when Virgin Atlantic comes with some sort of bonus. But ATM the Barclaycard is the best free non-Amex card on the market. The only thing that possibly beats it is the Chase debit card for 12 months.

_nate 2 posts

Has anyone downgraded and then re-upgraded in an attempt to get a second £10k limit voucher.

This is all so frustrating. Dragon Pass with no visits is not a perk worth paying £240 a year for.

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Has anyone downgraded and then re-upgraded in an attempt to get a second £10k limit voucher.

This is all so frustrating. Dragon Pass with no visits is not a perk worth paying £240 a year for.

Just the other day someone on the last page of this thread reported they had done so successfully:

https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/cabin-upgrade-voucher/page/4/

Aston100 1,383 posts

I have downgraded after hitting the spending target for the voucher. It’s very easy to do in the app (assuming they show you being eligible for the normal Avios card)

The ability to downgrade is an issue.
    There is no apparent consistency on when you can do it, as reported by numerous people on these forums.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.