Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Downgrade decisions – BAPP or Gold to go?

• AL 577 posts

I’ve been an AmEx Gold cardmember since 2016. Until late last year when I got a BAPP for the generous SUB and CV, it was my primary card. I now have the SUB and CV from the BAPP.

This means that I am now paying a fee for the Gold card to continue to earning MR (although I rarely spend on it) and a fee to continue to earn Avios on the BAPP.

I would like to look to stop paying one of these fees by downgrading one of the cards.

I can transfer MR 1:1 to Avios and others by keeping the Gold card open. Therefore, I don’t see what benefit the BAPP gives me at the moment – I have the vouchers and the SUB. I know if I downgrade the BAPP, I can’t get it again for another two years (which is fine – one CV every two years is a nicer benefit than none, I suppose).

What would you do? Downgrade the BAPP or the Gold?

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

Do you still have Gold CHARGE?

If you do, you can get Gold CREDIT (then cancel Gold CHARGE) and effectively get a year free – https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/01/04/swap-american-gold-charge-for-credit/

Don’t make any decisions on the BAPP until the end of February …..

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Charles Martel 124 posts

Is this when we might see new offers on the BA business card?

AL 577 posts

I do. I see the point about the Gold credit card – there seems to be no value to keeping the Gold charge card. So, that’s a starting point. I think this just defers the decision by a year, though – I’m erring toward binning the BAPP, but this February thing seems interesting…

AL 577 posts

If you do, you can get Gold CREDIT (then cancel Gold CHARGE) and effectively get a year free – https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/01/04/swap-american-gold-charge-for-credit/

I do. I can see why switching to the Gold credit makes sense, but only when the time is right – I’ll look at that later on to avoid losing benefits.

Interesting to note on the BAPP… 👀

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

I’m watching you Mr BAPP

Charles Martel 124 posts

I’m watching you Mr BAPP

It feels like it must be a negative change, if it wasn’t you’d be able to apply for the same card on the same terms in 6-12 months.

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

I’m watching you Mr BAPP

It feels like it must be a negative change, if it wasn’t you’d be able to apply for the same card on the same terms in 6-12 months.

I feel like it is more of a “good offer” coming up which will likely be given to only existing members. Otherwise Rob would’ve just said BAPP. Could be a downgrade for new customers but struggle to see why Amex would create a two tier system unless stage 2 is existing card holders. But this close to the fee rise? I think it would be a poor move

rum 275 posts

I feel like it is more of a “good offer” coming up which will likely be given to only existing members. Otherwise Rob would’ve just said BAPP. Could be a downgrade for new customers but struggle to see why Amex would create a two tier system unless stage 2 is existing card holders. But this close to the fee rise? I think it would be a poor move

I totally agree with this analysis – good offer seems right.
    When I read your last sentence with the comment “this close to the fee rise”, it made me wonder: could we expect new applicants to the BAPP card to be hit with another fee increase?

CamFlyer 31 posts

My BAPP is up for renewal in February, and I was also contemplating shifting to PRG before the new annual fee hit. After two years of COVID and a new baby, our travel is significantly down, and I already have three 2for1 vouchers to use up by the end of 2023 – adding another one is hardly appealing, when I could earn MR points that can be transferred to BA and VS (amongst others), or Radisson or other programs. Rob’s comment is thus articularly intriguing.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.