Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards DP Curve Metal to NS+I, Curve Fronted on – under £10k and charged!

• idontfly 43 posts

I just added some money into ernie, Curve Metal with Virgin+ behind. Still under the 10k limit for the month and have been charged a fee. I don’t even know what to say at this point. I think any remaining faith in this card is gone.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    ar 7 posts

To be clear, this is just the Curve Fronted fee, right? Not a cash advance fee from the underlying card?

idontfly 43 posts

yes correct!

BlueHorizonUK 37 posts

Has the charge posted to V yet or still pending.

idontfly 43 posts

Pending on V+ with the extra curve surcharge. Will wait and see if they amend on Monday but not good.

TGLoyalty 490 posts

You don’t need to turn curve fronted on if you have metal! That’s why you’ve been charged.

idontfly 43 posts

@TGLoyalty – From the curve fronted page on the app:
    Curve Fronted
    Curve fronted lets you pay with Curve using a credeit card where it would not normally be accepted like HMRC, NS&I accounts and payments to financial institutions.
    Curve Fronted 1.5% transaction fee about £10,000 per calendar month.
    When off, you will only be able to pay for eligible transactions using a debit card.

I have spent far less than 10k.

iheartarbitrage 32 posts

I just added some money into ernie, Curve Metal with Virgin+ behind. Still under the 10k limit for the month and have been charged a fee. I don’t even know what to say at this point. I think any remaining faith in this card is gone.

So what have Curve said? As there is no visibility on what transactions are fronted, or how much tof the £10k fronted limit has been used, it would not be unreasonable to expect that Curve should explain why you have been charged the 1.5% fee, or if it has been charged in error, to refund the fee.

TGLoyalty 490 posts

@idontfly my fronted is off and always has been and I have no problem using it with a credit card.

Peter K 549 posts

Are you sure it’s under £10k in the past rolling month? Including paying off others cards, HMRC and money into other institutions?

stevenhp1987 330 posts

Are you sure it’s under £10k in the past rolling month? Including paying off others cards, HMRC and money into other institutions?

Curves Terms and Conditions make it clear its £10k per calendar month, not rolling month.

It could be something went through as a fronted transaction unexpectedly or Curve have made an error.

Either way they’ll need to speak with Curve to sort it out.

idontfly 43 posts

@TGLoyalty, will try that next time, I just thought to use the V+ card with ernie I should use their approved route.

thanks, I am well under, well under 10k. Just hesitant to contact them because anytime you ask questions they just close accounts rather than helping!

JerrySignfield 101 posts

I have it on with metal and haven’t been charged when paying HMRC which I presume would be chargeable, basically if fronted is off it’s not supposed to do fronted transactions i think if your not in metal

The Streets 41 posts

I was charged for topping up but within my 10k limit and then turned my Curve Fronted ON (it was OFF)… now I went to pay off a credit card bill and was charged again… something is not right or Curve Metal has changed its policy

The Streets 41 posts

Just had another read of this and thanks for pointing out it is £10k per month for earnie and paying off credit cards… pfft! and does look like it is rolling rather than monthly… it would be helpful if they had a how much spent line for this!

DarrenS 92 posts

Just had another read of this and thanks for pointing out it is £10k per month for earnie and paying off credit cards… pfft! and does look like it is rolling rather than monthly… it would be helpful if they had a how much spent line for this!

I have just checked my Metal rolling month spend and this is over £10K up to 16th Dec. Not charged any fees.

Mick S 271 posts

something isnt quite right with Curve just now. I’ve just been charged a fee.
    I’m well over the £10k for December, but I’ve been careful to toggle “fronted On” when needing to pay off credit cards and then “fronted off” straight after. For transactions I had toggled fronted on I still have nearly £1k available to use.

rams 223 posts

Is there a way to get a prompt response from them? Their chat function is useless. They seem to be charging fronted fees even when fronted is off rather than transaction not going through. Useless or done on purpose, who knows

toddy 113 posts

The only way I’ve ever had a prompt response is via Twitter.

idontfly 43 posts

I’m well over the £10k for December, but I’ve been careful to toggle “fronted On” when needing to pay off credit cards and then “fronted off” straight after. For transactions I had toggled fronted on I still have nearly £1k available to use.

Yep, same situation, I wrote to them in the chat but nothing back so far. A bit concerning to say the least.

The Streets 41 posts

My take on all of this is, if you have Curve Metal then it doesn’t matter if your Curve Front is ON or OFF when paying off/into credit cards, HMRC or Earnie. As of 1 December you have a £10k monthly (not rolling) limit for paying off/into credit cards, HMRC or Earnie. Once you exceed this then you get charged a fee. What I haven’t worked out yet is if the ATM allowance is also included in this £10k limit

Mick S 271 posts

My take on all of this is, if you have Curve Metal then it doesn’t matter if your Curve Front is ON or OFF when paying off/into credit cards, HMRC or Earnie. As of 1 December you have a £10k monthly (not rolling) limit for paying off/into credit cards, HMRC or Earnie. Once you exceed this then you get charged a fee. What I haven’t worked out yet is if the ATM allowance is also included in this £10k limit.

I’ve spent £9k paying off credit cards since December 1st (enabling fronted, then toggled to off immediately), the rest is normal day to day stuff with fronted off. I don’t use Curve for HMRC or Earnie.

Yesterday, a fronted payment for £1700 has triggered a fee – even though my fronted transaction amount to £9k.

So some/all of my non-fronted transactions have counted. Very frustrating.

The Streets 41 posts

Yes this is because they charge you a fee for the whole amount if the transaction takes you over £10k

Carlos 758 posts

My take on all of this is, if you have Curve Metal then it doesn’t matter if your Curve Front is ON or OFF when paying off/into credit cards, HMRC or Earnie. As of 1 December you have a £10k monthly (not rolling) limit for paying off/into credit cards, HMRC or Earnie. Once you exceed this then you get charged a fee. What I haven’t worked out yet is if the ATM allowance is also included in this £10k limit.

I’ve spent £9k paying off credit cards since December 1st (enabling fronted, then toggled to off immediately), the rest is normal day to day stuff with fronted off. I don’t use Curve for HMRC or Earnie.

Yesterday, a fronted payment for £1700 has triggered a fee – even though my fronted transaction amount to £9k.

So some/all of my non-fronted transactions have counted. Very frustrating.

sorry if i am being stupid, why are you toggling fronted on and off?
    are you not a metal card holder?

Kowalski 105 posts

Lots of you above are mentioning turning ‘fronted’ on and off in the app. I have Curve Metal and there is no option anywhere in my Curve App to turn ‘fronted’ on or off!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.