Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards DP Curve Metal to NS+I, Curve Fronted on – under £10k and charged!

• Entitled 68 posts

I have spent £10k with HMRC this month without a fee applied (as expected). Curious as to what would happen next, I spent a further £30 with HMRC, and no fee was applied.

In short, I am not convinced that Curve have any effective way to monitor and implement their own T&C’s but I think there is a small chance that the fee is applied retroactively so I am not going to push it.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 3 months ago by .
    Mick S 271 posts

The fee would get added with the transaction. as an example, lets say you had spent £9500. Next transaction is £1000 which puts you £500 over your limit. the card you have dropped the £1000 onto would show in the Curve app as a £1007.50 (£500 x 1.5%).

I agree with you, I’m not convinced they know how to monitor their own stuff.

Mick S 271 posts

the fronted toggle button is as follows

Launch App and go to Account, bottom right corner
    Settings then appears in top right
    Curve Fronted toggle button is a few lines down

Mick S 271 posts

My take on all of this is, if you have Curve Metal then it doesn’t matter if your Curve Front is ON or OFF when paying off/into credit cards, HMRC or Earnie. As of 1 December you have a £10k monthly (not rolling) limit for paying off/into credit cards, HMRC or Earnie. Once you exceed this then you get charged a fee. What I haven’t worked out yet is if the ATM allowance is also included in this £10k limit.

I’ve spent £9k paying off credit cards since December 1st (enabling fronted, then toggled to off immediately), the rest is normal day to day stuff with fronted off. I don’t use Curve for HMRC or Earnie.

Yesterday, a fronted payment for £1700 has triggered a fee – even though my fronted transaction amount to £9k.

So some/all of my non-fronted transactions have counted. Very frustrating.

sorry if i am being stupid, why are you toggling fronted on and off?
    are you not a metal card holder?

I am a metal holder, but I understood Curve’s new £10k limit was for fronted transaction only. In other words, £10k paying off credit card, and fill your boots with regular transaction, albeit within your daily limit.

so in which case, I’ve now got Fronted toggled off permanently, and only enabled it when I want to pay off a credit card. But whats happened for me, Curve has charged me a fee when I know my toggled Fronted On transactions add up to less than £10k.

The Streets 41 posts

Further update, three mates who have a metal Curve Card each – two have been charged for going over the £10k limit, one hit £16k before the fee kicked in. Make of it what you will

TGLoyalty 484 posts

If you’re a metal card holder toggling fronted on and off makes no difference.

@The Streets I suspect they’ve just made the update to handle the £10k limit as I was over £10k in the first couple days of Dec but was then was charged for a small transaction this week.

Alex 46 posts

I am a little confused – I thought you could not load Ernie anymore with Metal. Is it still possible up to 10,000?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 3 months ago by .
    rams 223 posts

Did anyone who was charged hear back from curve? Is the only way to hear back quickly from them to contact via Twitter? Chat function appears to be a waste of time. Will be cancelling shortly as if they can’t respond within a week I don’t want to give them my business.

PaulB 23 posts

Did anyone who was charged hear back from curve? Is the only way to hear back quickly from them to contact via Twitter? Chat function appears to be a waste of time. Will be cancelling shortly as if they can’t respond within a week I don’t want to give them my business.

In fairness to them (and far be it from me to stand up for Curve’s customer support which has always unimpressed me) but do remember that today is only the second working day in the last week given all the bank holidays…

rams 223 posts

In fairness to them (and far be it from me to stand up for Curve’s customer support which has always unimpressed me) but do remember that today is only the second working day in the last week given all the bank holidays…

Taken into account – my message to them was on 19th Dec

Gary 293 posts

Curve Metal. Got burned for today’s HMRC payment with 1.5% fee (not applied retrospectively) as had another 2 HMRC transactions on 8 & 11 Dec which amounted to over 10k. Fronted been OFF for many months but doubt it matters. Suspect Curve software has caught up. Not sure when next fronted payment is allowed? 30 Jan? Will be cancelling if Curve doesn’t provide a usage meter of some sort in the app re fronted transactions soon.

@rams
    they also have an online form you can fill out but not sure it’s more efficient than chat. A simple request like needing a replacement card takes 5-7 days for them to reply. Not great.

Dave76 2 posts

Hi, does anyone know if this issue has been fixed? I’m looking at upgrading to metal from legacy black but I don’t want to commit as I don’t see any benefits without this functioning correctly. Thanks !

rahaney 44 posts

I’ve been metal for over a year and have had no issues using the card for any purposes with Fronted off in the app.

Today using it for Amex it was declined twice more using different underlying cards then I saw a notification saying that Fronted needed to be switched on for these type of transactions – a new notification for me.

Turned it on in the app (it now has reference to the 10k and a 1.5% fee over the limit) paid with any issue, no fee charged.

I’m wondering that they need an explicit yes choice now from Metal users to prevent anyone arguing that they weren’t aware of the fee…

Ta,

Mick S 271 posts

@rahaney yep, same for me also. Fronted needs to be toggled on otherwise the transaction will fail = (I’m a metal curve customer)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.