Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Duty of care/compensation query

• S879 96 posts

Just a quick question to be clear about my entitlement in the following scenario. Currently waiting at Gatwick in the plane as there are delays due to stormy weeather. The flight was due to depart at 3:10pm and its now 15:30 and no water or snacks have been offered. I know it’s weather related but what could I claim for in terms of flight delay from insurance (HSBC Premier, Curve and perhaps some other credit card too which I can check, but not Amex Platinum) as well as what BA should offer. Interestingly, even Club Europe have not been offered a drop of water!

ChrisC 956 posts

On compensation BA will offer nothing as the delay is due to weather.

Insurance will depend in the policy as they all seem to differ on when their delay provisions kick in and whether weather qualifies for payment or not.

As for duty of care there an exemption to the provisions where if implementing them could cause a further delay then they don’t have to provide anything.

If the pilot keeps getting told “you’ll be off in 30 minutes” there simply wouldn’t be enough time to serve everyone then collect all the rubbish. Plus they’d have nothing to hand out during the flight.

S879 96 posts

Thanks. We had to disembark to allow for toilet breaks. It’s over 3 hours of delay now. I will check the policy.

cats_are_best 99 posts

I’m currently at ACE waiting for the delayed inbound from LGW, looking like it’ll be 4-5 hours late.

Fortunately I’m in the little lounge, basic but better than nothing.

I think if you aren’t boarded, you’re entitled to some food and drink, if none is provided, or no vouchers offered, you can claim for something reasonable after a certain time, which depends on the flight short/medium/long-haul.

Once boarded, you’re stuffed, you can ask for water but probably that’s the limit on short/medium. On long-haul with pre-departure drink/nibbles, it can get extended, had several bubblies on VS delayed out of DXB by fog.

INMS 2 posts

As an aside to above – new poster but long time reader caught up in the latest batch of weather delays on Weds/Thursday – BA flight rebooked for 24 hours later i.e. Friday at 08:00 from Thursday at 08:05 – can’t seem to find any reasonable numbers for what BA will pay for in terms of hotel/meals – have travel insurance too so appreciate might need to use that too, but are there clear ballpark figures for what they consider reasonable costs per night or per meal?

SamG 1,644 posts

BA will pay 200 per night for hotel and reasonable meal expenses (no alcohol)

There is no limit in the regulation so if you’re somewhere where hotels are over 200 then book it but I’d capture screenshots showing the rates on sale that night from booking.com etc

It’s not an area BA are known for being difficult about paying up on (presumably as is it still cheaper than bothering to be able to organise hotels themselves!)

Other airlines you have to be careful with- Easyjet usually offers hotels via links on it’s disruption page and won’t reimburse hotels booked otherwise if something was available there for example

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.