Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Housekeeping Ex-EU fares

• FlightDoctor 6 posts

Create an ex-EU fares feed? Many of us, with reduced business travel, may need to look to these to top up TPs to retain elite status. This could be an area where deals are flagged by members?

JimBurgessHill 17 posts

Recently got a refund off Qatar for an ex-Stockholm return trip (Q Suites) to Singapore. The fare was £1100 compared to over £3k ex LHR. Would have earned nearly enough tier points to make silver off that one trip!

Have rebooked for San Diego on the direct BA service (currently showing as Club Suite) but originating in Dublin. Have made last sector ex-LCY as never take final sector but need luggage short checked to LHR. Price I paid ex DUB was £1144. The identical flight on the identical date from LHR was £3500 at time of booking. Just did a dummy booking for the same dates (in June) and it’s now an eye watering £9083!!

Have done loads of ex-EU’s over the years and will continue to do so. Often the saving pays for the rest of the holiday!

John 1,000 posts

Why ex-EU in particular and not just a premium fare deals subforum (…like flyertalk). I’m interested in good value tickets for any flight route. I guess the HFP forum should focus on deals that are more practical for UK residents.

With the reduced TP requirements extended, many people won’t need to “top up TPs” for some time. As JimBurgessHill says, you get enough TPs for silver with one QR return, and about enough for Gold with 2 QR returns, then you only need some cheap domestics to get the 4 BA flights.

Even afterwards the idea of “top up” would apply more to Club Europe deals… For me, the purpose of ex-EU is to make premium flights affordable, and TPs are only a minor bonus, the 2x or 4x 40 TPs from the Europe to LON legs are usually “wasted” for me. (Yes lifetime gold blah blah)

Gavin454 157 posts

I used ex-EU deals many times between 2014 and 2019, but would be hesitant to book or fly them at the moment due to uncertainty about COVID restrictions, testing, cancellations, refunds, doing B2B flights etc. Even before COVID I found them a little stressful (but definitely still worth it) due to the huge consequences of missing the first flight of the itinerary!

I’ve had Gold/Silver status since 2014 on the back of ex-EU deals, so I’ll be glad to continue flying them once international travel gets a bit more predictable.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.