Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Exec Club family membership – how does it work?

• NigelL555 4 posts

Hi,

I have BA exec club membership and have collected a about 300k’s worth of Avios. My wife is a new member and does not currently have any Avios, I signed her up whilst redeeming an amex 2-4-1 voucher earlier this year.

We have flights booked in Aug to Italy which will earn points for us and our 3 children. My question is regarding the best way of configuring the household account. Do I set it up and add my wife and the three children or does my wife set up the house hold account and add the children, then I link my account to hers as a friend? Sorry terminology might be slightly wrong!

Most of the time we fly its my wife and I, redeeming points that I’ve previously collected. Having read the HfP guide I was slightly confused especially around the redeeming Avios aspect. Thank you in advance for any guidance given especially regarding the pros and cons!

ChrisC 956 posts

Whan you say “family membership” I assume you mean House Hold Account (HHA). Having someone on your friends and family list (in BA terms) is different.

Whoever is going to be the person nominally in charge of the HHA account should set it up

When you redeem avios from a HHA they are taken from each member in proportion to their share in the account in order to pay for the redemption – even if they aren’t flying.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Lyn 188 posts

Rob has articles on these. Search for “BA Household Accounts” on the main HfP web-page. There have been some updates on how these work over the past couple of years so you may have to read a couple of articles to find out how the work at the moment.

StanTheMan 217 posts

You are the boss – set up a HHA – add your wife and all the children. One big pot of Avios to share… Only need for the “friends” list is if you wanted to book an avios flight for a friend or grandparent etc…..

memesweeper 1,255 posts

There are limitations with a household account. You might want one adult + all children in one account, to enable you to spend the kids points, without the main Avios earner being restricted by HHA rules. If you and your wife earn Amex companion vouchers, and both want access to a substantial pot, then being in the same HHA could be the way to go.

NigelL555 4 posts

Thank you for your responses.

I earn the Avios and Amex companion vouchers so I think I will keep that account separate; I’ll set the HHA to include the wife and the kids. This way I’m assuming when I make a booking and redeem a 2-4-1 voucher for myself and my wife the points will come from my account, which will have more than enough to cover.

Doing it this way when I check in for all of us I assume the boarding cards will be distributed 1 to my phone app and the other 4 to my wife’s?

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Thank you for your responses.

I earn the Avios and Amex companion vouchers so I think I will keep that account separate; I’ll set the HHA to include the wife and the kids. This way I’m assuming when I make a booking and redeem a 2-4-1 voucher for myself and my wife the points will come from my account, which will have more than enough to cover.

Doing it this way when I check in for all of us I assume the boarding cards will be distributed 1 to my phone app and the other 4 to my wife’s?

Every passenger can collect their boarding cards on their own device. I think the lead passenger can collect for everyone on the booking.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.