Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Florida recommendations

• The real Swiss Tony 662 posts

For those of you with littluns, what would you say is the best age to take them to Disney/other Florida attractions?

We were thinking about next Feb as ours will be 5 and 6 then but wasn’t sure if we should maybe wait another couple of years to be able to do more with them and for them to appreciate it more.

Would welcome thoughts from all

This might sound selfish but take them when you want to, not when others say so. We took each of our kids to Disney for the first time when they were around 1. Yes, they can’t remember a thing, but we can and we have some incredible photos to provide lasting memories and the last few years have certainly reinforced my view that none of us know what’s lurking around the corner. It also makes for an easy holiday as everything is right there and by its nature the place is child friendly.

NorthernLass 7,590 posts

Anywhere near $5k for accommodation, is insane! You can get a villa or apartment for a few £100 per week. It’s a renters market in that area.

The Savage Squirrel 571 posts

Anywhere near $5k for accommodation, is insane! You can get a villa or apartment for a few £100 per week. It’s a renters market in that area.

Exactly this. $5k for a one bedroom suite?????

Just for fun, here’s an alternative option around that budget …

https://www.vrbo.com/en-gb/p1395373vb

toddy 113 posts

I’ve gone 10 days as a 7 day disney pass gets an extra 7 days free, so 14 in total, although I think my kids would like to go to Universal – or at least to the Harry Potter thing that they have going on there.

If you’re planning on visiting Universal I can recommend a night at one of their hotels (Portofino Bay, Hard Rock or Royal Pacific) for the free express passes.

We have booked Hard Rock for our trip in April. No kids, just 2 x adults in their 30s 😃

The express pass was a big factor.

elguiri 215 posts

If you are looking for arrival hotel close to airport on day of arrival, then we stayed at Homewood Suites by Hilton Miami-Airport/Blue Lagoon which was fine with a child. If I remember there was a double sofa bed in separate lounge area so should be fine for 2 kids.

If unsure on gulf coast, we really like Tampa to visit. We stayed at an airbnb though so no hotel to recommend there.

Thanks – great tip re the Homewood Suites, I will check it out.

What is there to see in Tampa? I’ve been through the airport before but not into or near the city.

In Tampa we liked the zoo at lowry park, the maritime walk and definitely the food. Stop off at Ybor City and take tram into the centre.

The real Swiss Tony 662 posts

Whatever floats your boat, but if you’re a family of 4 or 5 then you’re paying £7-8k in air tickets, £3k for the disney park passes (yes, you read that right) and you’re probably going to be dropping way more than £1k on food over the week, whether you’re paying £1k or £3.5k for the accommodation is more of a rounding error.

Then when you can nip back to the room mid-afternoon for a sleep/swim, all of a sudden you’re getting a value proposition that gives you more time to have fun and less time hauling yourself around.

So whilst the accommodation may be 5x – 10x the price, the holiday is more like 15-20% more expensive. And you’ll likely have a far superior experience.

We are fortunate as we bought DVC 10+ years ago. Was a £16k cash outlay, but the collapse of the Pound and ongoing asset inflation (which includes DVC timeshares) means I can walk away now if I want, be about £5k offside incl annual dues payments and have had about £20k worth of holiday accommodation thrown into the bargain, too!

The VRBO example is great – I mean eye popping wow – but bear in mind that 10 minutes to Disney means 10 minutes to the edge of the campus – assuming the traffic is OK. Then you’ve probably got another 20 minutes to get to the parking lot, 20 minutes to get to the front gate of the park. Even doing that once a day means you lose about an hour and a half, versus being able to walk or take a 10 minute bus ride to the front gate. Doing it twice a day if the kids get too hot & bothered takes three hours out of your day, meaning you’ll be inclined to spend less time in the parks overall.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    NorthernLass 7,590 posts

Tony – we spent £1k on one of our timeshare weeks 20 years ago. This gives us access to massively discounted accommodation through RCI. Our 3 bed, 3 bath apartment was under £500 per week a few years ago. It was a 15 minute drive from the parks. We had a few “pool days” where we just chilled and swam as we were there for 2 weeks. The extra travel doesn’t feel like anything compared to the price differential you are talking about. I think I got the better deal, to be honest! No way would I be paying money like that for air fares, I’d go somewhere else. Or if I had that kind of budget, we’d be going 5* All-Inclusive in the Maldives!

janed9388 60 posts

Exactly this. $5k for a one bedroom suite?????

Just for fun, here’s an alternative option around that budget …

https://www.vrbo.com/en-gb/p1395373vb

I like the look of that apartment. We have Hilton Lake Buena Vista Palace booked for August 🙂 Just need a airport hotel at MIA for the first night. Any IHG recommendations ?

NorthernLass 7,590 posts

I don’t know about August but December prices for IHG are crazy at MIA. There are plenty of HIs and places like Staybridge Suites in the area though. I’m usually happy anywhere which has a free airport shuttle. We stayed at the Embassy Suites once which was fine for one night and had free beer in the evening!

If you’re travelling with kids you can’t beat Homewood Suites.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    janed9388 60 posts

Think we might get in a bit late for the free beer otherwise we’d be in on that one 🙂 We currently have the intercontinental Doral booked but think I’m going to switch as no free shuttle and also the pool doesn’t open till 0800, the kids will no doubt be up at 5 on the first day !

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.