Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Getting a refund for a purchase with statement credit

• Ant68 56 posts

Has anyone had to return faulty goods that were purchased using Amex, with a statement credit? I have a faulty phone that I need to return to Google (I only bought it last week). I haven’t contacted Google yet as I’m trying to work out what happens to the statement credit if I decide to get a refund rather than accept a repair or exchange.

I can contact Amex, obvs – just wanted to see if anyone had had a similar issue.

Ant68 56 posts

OK, to answer my own question, the terms of the offer say “Transactions that are subsequently cancelled or refunded will not count towards your spend for the purposes of the offer.”

Shame though, as it means I have to enter into negotiations with Google rather than just return it within the normal return period and buy another.

BBbetter 649 posts

Yep, the credit will be reversed. Can you try asking google for a gift card or online credit that you can use later?

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,099 posts

If I were you, I’d take the refund and suck up the loss of the statement credit. Is it worth it to be stuck with a gift card? I am forever wary of gift cards. Cash is king.

You can probably make a similar saving on the device in the near future buying it abroad. (Waits for JDB to comment….)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.