Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Has IHG extended Platinum status?

• gary w 22 posts

I was due to be down graded to gold on 31/12. My app is still showing platinum. I used Amazon staff code to upgrade last year.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,088 posts

What expiry date does it show?

IIRC it lasts until end of February before dropping you down.

gary w 22 posts

It shows platinum elite until December 31, 2023

RonnieB 288 posts

I think these systems take a few days after the start of the year to update, hilton certainly does.

dahokolomoki 103 posts

I was Diamomd Elite in 2023, and was due to lose the status on 31/12/2023. Looking at the app today, it looks like my Diamond status has been extended till 31/12/24.

It could be because I bought Ambassador in Dec22? That extended my Diamond status in 2022 into 2023.

However, I have not renewedy Ambassador. The IHG website is showing a message asking me to renew my Ambassador before Feb24. Presumably, becausey AMB was still valid 01/01, IHG decided to keep me at Diamond?

Now I’m wondering what happens if I do not renew AMB by Feb. Will my Diamond status be downgraded? Or will I keep it till Dec24?

John 1,000 posts

Buying/renewing ambassador no longer renews diamond, as of a few months ago. Officially it never did, it was an IT error which IHG deigned not to fix until now.

Many/most/all? Creation IHG cardholders had their 2023 status extended until the end of 2024 – was discussed on here at the time.

dahokolomoki 103 posts

Ah maybe that’s why. I had the Creation free card (but that only gave me Platinum, not Diamond) and I qualified for my Diamond a different way. But perhaps the IHG system just included my Diamond membership for extension to 2024.

John 1,000 posts

Ah maybe that’s why. I had the Creation free card (but that only gave me Platinum, not Diamond) and I qualified for my Diamond a different way. But perhaps the IHG system just included my Diamond membership for extension to 2024.

Yes that’s what happened – the status from holding the card (platinum or gold) was meant to be extended for 2024 due to the closure of the card. But the email from IHG erroneously showed your existing status, some diamonds complained and then they decided to extend all diamonds.

LukeLukeLukeLuke 23 posts

My Platinum Elite also shows as active but ‘expires 31 Dec 2023’ in the app. I wonder what happens with a booking, as I could happily use a Holiday Inn soon if I am still Platinum, rather than an alternative Hilton with Gold.

QFFlyer 156 posts

The free card gave you gold. But until recently it was possible to reach Diamond with any card, as every point earned from spend was elite qualifying.

John 1,000 posts

My Platinum Elite also shows as active but ‘expires 31 Dec 2023’ in the app. I wonder what happens with a booking, as I could happily use a Holiday Inn soon if I am still Platinum, rather than an alternative Hilton with Gold.

I think the IHG IT system hasn’t had time to downgrade anyone yet. It might even take 2 months like last year. If the HI sees you as plat then great but you can’t guarantee it.

I would have thought Hilton gold is better than IHG plat if all else is the same

The free card gave you gold. But until recently it was possible to reach Diamond with any card, as every point earned from spend was elite qualifying.

Creation cardholders got their 2023 status (earned in 2022) extended for 2024, even if they didn’t earn any status in 2023 (for 2024).

Doesn’t matter how they got to diamond – if you were spire in 2022 and stayed 0 nights but bought amb, it would have renewed your diamond to end of 2023 and creation would have renewed it to end of 2024

Michael C 669 posts

My (bought) Diamond has drifted over into 2024, BUT there’s a tiny asterisked comment
    saying “we’re still analysing your recent activity [zero!] and your status will be updated shortly”.

pwp67 1 post

I though I had read that after the IHG card expired the Platinium status would continue to Dec 2024, but couldn’t find where I had read it. So I purchases ambassador status (want the perks). However, now I see my Platinum expires Dec 2025 – so one year cc extension and one year paid for I guess.

NorthernLass 7,595 posts

Unless they’ve fixed the glitch for Diamond but not for Platinum?!

LiamG 32 posts

Anyone know if it’s safe to redeem the lounge pass now to get to the end of 2025, or should I wait until they’ve finished the process of sorting 2024 status?

jeff 36 posts

I redeemed mine 2 Jan and it says valid until 31/12/2025.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,088 posts

Rewards aren’t related to status so no problem.

I also applied mine on the 2nd and it’s showing valid to 31/12/25

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,098 posts

Anyone know if it’s safe to redeem the lounge pass now to get to the end of 2025, or should I wait until they’ve finished the process of sorting 2024 status?

I’d redeem asap to avoid any change to the T&Cs re the lounge pass validity. Screenshot your profile details now in case of any IHG eff up

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.