Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Hilton skimping on real breakfast (outside of the US) – any experiences?

• dan_a_man 17 posts

That my beloved free breakfast benefit is dead in the US is well advertised. The vouchers are nonsense, but I at least know not to book a Hilton in the US in advance (at the Millennium Hilton New York we literally got 2 packs of these mini frosties cereals, milk and a small yoghurt, for the credit, lol – not even coffee).

I now wanted to book a hotel with my family in Germany at the Doubletree Schweizerhof Hannover, but read this strange Tripadvisor review that Diamond (and Gold) members are limited to continental breakfast only. I called and confirmed, its true – “we are just following Hilton Policy” they say. I have never seen a hotel actually limit status members to continental and charge for the full buffet. The difference in price is massive from EUR93 per night for prepaid to EUR134 for the lowest rate including breakfast. I was able to gift my dad Diamond and my sister Gold, so the difference in price is quite significant. Has anyone experienced that before?

Aston100 1,379 posts

My recent experience is full breakfast at a DT in Sheffield; full breakfast at a Hilton in Canary Wharf; full breakfast at a Conrad in Thailand; promise/confirmation of full breakfast for my stays booked next year at a DT and 2 other Hiltons in Malaysia.
    Back in June I got full breakfast at a couple of DTs in Dubai but I guess you were looking for more recent examples.

EDIT: woops, forgot the Ramses Hilton in Cairo said the other day that I’d get full breakfast for my tentative booking early next year.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

I’ve always had full breakfast at UK Hiltons, including 2 stays last month at the Hilton Deansgate and the Doubletree NCL (the latter being exceptionally good for the price). My next 2 US Hilton stays are at the Hampton Inn, Marathon, FL and Homewood Suites, Stratford, CT where a full breakfast is provided – none of this “credit” nonsense! 5 for 4 points redemptions on these properties feel like the way to go in the US atm with cash prices being ludicrous and the credit barely covering cereal and coffee. The Marathon Hampton Inn is over $500 pn during our stay – okay, it’s Xmas in the Keys but it’s still a Hampton Inn! A great use of 280k points.

dan_a_man 17 posts

$500pn for a Hampton is absolutely crazy, wow – My girlfriend and I will be heading to Abu Dhabi on cash prices for the winter (Conrad Abu Dhabi and Hilton Yas Island plus St Regis Saadiyat for my remaining SNAs – I think its fair to assume full breakfast for all). Never seen the continental enforcement, I just thought I may simply be entitled and crazy, but good to hear the above, I thought so!

I’ve always had full breakfast at UK Hiltons, including 2 stays last month at the Hilton Deansgate and the Doubletree NCL (the latter being exceptionally good for the price). My next 2 US Hilton stays are at the Hampton Inn, Marathon, FL and Homewood Suites, Stratford, CT where a full breakfast is provided – none of this “credit” nonsense! 5 for 4 points redemptions on these properties feel like the way to go in the US atm with cash prices being ludicrous and the credit barely covering cereal and coffee. The Marathon Hampton Inn is over $500 pn during our stay – okay, it’s Xmas in the Keys but it’s still a Hampton Inn! A great use of 280k points.

The Savage Squirrel 567 posts

It has always been Continental only by the strict T&Cs. Basically never enforced anywhere other than high end cook-to-order locations where you may on occasion be given a reduced menu in my experience (although even this has always had decent choice with hot choices, and far more often you can still choose anything off the standard menu).

It’s obviously completely impossible to enforce this at any typical mid range self-serve buffet once there are more than a handful of guests, so I’d treat that hotel as an aberration rather than worry about it being the rule.

davefl 1,218 posts

Hilton Zurich airport – welcome letter states Continental breakfast as per gold but we upgrade you to full as a gesture etc

HGI in Austin for the $10 credit allowed you to have full continental but not the cooked dishes (even though continental was $12.50 they comped the full value) which was most appreciated.

Peter K 549 posts

In Barbados (pre-pandemic) the buffet was continental only and you could pay extra for full breakfast iirc ($15 rather than the $30 a non-status guest would pay).

I just had breakfast in the lounge each day (which they have since closed).

Saturday just gone at the Hilton Metropole Birmingham (UK) it was full choice, not just continental.

However, free continental is the wording, so you can’t complain really of that is what they offer you.

NigelHamilton 197 posts

In the UK (probably been to about 15 different Hiltons), it’s always been free cooked breakfast, even when we’ve travelled as a family of 5. We’ve usually, but not always, received a voucher for one or two free drinks per person at check in (once we got 10 drinks!), which was good business for the hotel as it meant we ate in the restaurant each time.

However, at a recent three nighter at the Hilton Quebec, we were specifically told (on going for breakfast each day) we could only receive two free continental breakfasts and each of the free breakfasts would require an upgrade fee of (I think) CAD 15 if we wanted the hot food. We were fine with the continental which actually looked better than the cooked breakfast! The teenagers had to pay CAD 34 and got full breakfast – no offer of a continental option. On the third morning I took them to McDonalds! This is my first experience outside of the UK, however, and the Quebec Hilton seemed very “on it” in ensuring that Gold’s only got exactly what was on offer (we were offered paid room upgrades etc). A very nice hotel though in a great city!

degsy 148 posts

My recent experience at the Hilton Imperial in Dubrovnik was that it was probably the best hotel breakfast we’ve ever had.

anirishgirl2022 48 posts

I recently stayed at the Hilton doubletree near Bristol – hot buffet breakfast and limited continental options – it all looked rather sad to be honest pretty disappointing really.

Hilton Rotterdam extensive continental Buffet and hot buffet very nice!

Alex G 440 posts

Doubletree Harrogate in August, full breakfast.

Hilton Mystic CT in July, cost of breakfast buffet was $15, so the daily credit covered it and we just paid tax and tip. Could order eggs or pancakes from the waitress and they were cooked fresh in the kitchen. One of the best Hilton breakfasts in recent years. (Poor hotel though.)

Boston Logan, the $18 pp credit covered roughly half the cost of a one course breakfast with coffee.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

When we stayed at the BOS Hilton we had to leave at 4 am so the credit covered 2 rum and cokes the night before!

Harrogate is probably my favourite Hilton breakfast – excellent buffet and the dining room is gorgeous.

RK228 200 posts

My wife, son, and I stayed at the Hilton Kuala Lumpur in July and we got the full breakfast.

mark2 126 posts

we (both Gold) have a booking in early December at Syon Park and confirmation says ‘Enjoy complimentary Continental Breakfast during your stay.’.

VerdantBacon 141 posts

Have stayed 68 nights this year at various Hiltons, always gotten access to full breakfast other than in the US, not sure how most places would even begin to prevent you from taking hot food.

John 1,000 posts

My recent experience at the Hilton Imperial in Dubrovnik was that it was probably the best hotel breakfast we’ve ever had.

All rates at the Hilton Dubrovnik include breakfast so it’s not really a benefit for Diamond.

Generally full breakfast will be given to Gold and Diamond in Europe and Asia. In Australia and New Zealand it can vary, check flyertalk and tripadvisor for the latest if nobody has posted on here, some hotels change their mind every few years. Australia and NZ typically also charge extra for coffee made by a barista.

There was a brief period where Hilton Glasgow charged Diamond extra for full breakfast. I believe it also happened at one of the London ones for a short while, until they figured a bit of food from Brakes Catering doesn’t actually cost that much.

Scottpat78 243 posts

HGI Hatton Cross and DoubleTree at MAN – I got hot breakfast offered at both in the past month.

I’ve stayed as cash booking (work) at both and points booking at the HGI and had the same experience each time.

Slightly O/T……I’m at a HGI in Wisconsin right now and not only do I get a free full breakfast as Diamond, I also get a breakfast voucher for each day thanks to a corporate deal and also the $10 daily credit! I hand over the voucher and buy snacks with the credit.

squawk7700 83 posts

Any idea what I could expect on a reward booking as Hilton Gold at the Conrad (Midtown) NY? Am I better aiming for the Walford instead?

Michael C 666 posts

Any idea what I could expect on a reward booking as Hilton Gold at the Conrad (Midtown) NY? Am I better aiming for the Walford instead?

Was also looking at this: had the impression it is $20 (x 2?) but no “resort” fee?

Scottpat78 243 posts

I’m back at the Hilton Sydney with work and the setup here works well for Diamonds.

You can take breakfast in the Exec Lounge or you get full access to the buffet & made to order items in the Glass restaurant. It’s AUD$45 normally for the buffet, and it’s huge plus very good quality.

Chancer 6 posts

The best Hilton Group breakfast, in the UK, can be enjoyed at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh. Better than most foreign experiences too.

tiriavpo 311 posts

I’m back at the Hilton Sydney with work and the setup here works well for Diamonds.

You can take breakfast in the Exec Lounge or you get full access to the buffet & made to order items in the Glass restaurant. It’s AUD$45 normally for the buffet, and it’s huge plus very good quality.

We are here now, same as above but Exec lounge much quieter and almost same menu apart from a la carte egg options. Melbourne was continental only in the restaurant.

Lyn 189 posts

We were at the Hilton Sydney about 10 days ago and were grateful for lounge access with Hilton Gold. We actually preferred breakfast in the lounge as it was quieter, and the staff were a delight.

Scottpat78 243 posts

Enjoy. I reckon the restaurant breakfast in Hilton Sydney is the best one I’ve had personally in the Hilton group anywhere. Does get busy on a weekend but can always get a table.

We are here now, same as above but Exec lounge much quieter and almost same menu apart from a la carte egg options. Melbourne was continental only in the restaurant.

shanghaiguizi 41 posts

For what it’s worth I ended 2022 at 151 nights with 130 of them being in Asia and I’ve always had the full breakfast for free without any issues. Never even knew there was a T&C stating free breakfast was limited to continental tbh.

If you’re diamond then Hilton in Tokyo, Seoul, Manila, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Bengaluru let you eat what you want.

The same for double trees in Seoul, KL and Bengaluru. Conrad in BKK, Manila and Koh Samui also don’t care what you eat.

My only other stay was Hampton in upstate NY and breakfast was a do-it yourself type muffin and egg with coffee.

Seems like if things are changing, APAC Hilton didn’t yet get the memo…..

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.