Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Capital on Tap Paying HMRC using Capital on Tap and Curve

• Tom 25 posts

Hi all, just signed up for this card as I needed something to replace my IHG card. Can I ask if it is ok to pay HMRC via Curve using this as underlying card? Is there any fee from COT for HMRC payments?
    Also keen to understand if Capital On Tap are ok with this, I know Rob/Rhys have links there and maybe they could confirm. I don’t want another card shut down for paying legitimate tax bills.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    BLT 52 posts

I got the card 3-4 months ago. No problem paying HMRC and no extra fees. Had no communication from COT regarding transactions( I use it for normal business spend as well). YMMV

The Savage Squirrel 570 posts

I’ve paid HMRC with COT/Curve every month for years. This is the monthly employees’ PAYE bill, so 100% is uncontroversial business spend; and is also part of a full suite of other regular business spend (we put everything we can through there).
    Gut feel from what others have said on HfP: I’d say they’re fine with normal spending but small and nimble enough to notice if you start to f*** about doing dodgy stuff, so don’t.

Tom 25 posts

Thanks BLT and Squirrel, really helpful. I want to pay PAYE, VAT and other genuine business spend, no MS or other dodgy stuff coming from me.

Shame the 10k monthly limit for Curve metal has kicked in as my PAYE alone is more than that.

JimBurgessHill 17 posts

Yes I also use Curve / COT, pay my personal tax and Corp Tax this way. Only fly in the ointment now is the need to stagger payments owing to the new £10k monthly
    limit.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    cinereus 161 posts

I’ve paid HMRC with COT/Curve every month for years. This is the monthly employees’ PAYE bill, so 100% is uncontroversial business spend; and is also part of a full suite of other regular business spend (we put everything we can through there).
    Gut feel from what others have said on HfP: I’d say they’re fine with normal spending but small and nimble enough to notice if you start to f*** about doing dodgy stuff, so don’t.

Can confirm that this is on the mark.

Entitled 68 posts

I pay the £10k a month for my Corporation Tax and also use the card for day to day business spend when applicable. No issues so far for me.

jimchef. 19 posts

I too have used my COT card for a long time now with HMRC (£30k per month) , as well as LOTS of other spend. This might be slightly off topic but since the recent introduction of a fee from Curve for any HMRC spend above £10k what have people’s experience been with being charged?

Entitled 68 posts

since the recent introduction of a fee from Curve for any HMRC spend above £10k what have people’s experience been with being charged?

I’ve not gone above the £10k to find out. My suspicion is that Curve won’t be very good at tracking it. I then pay a big bill and Curve eventually get their act together and apply the charge late/retrospectively.

notenoughmiles 30 posts

Hi guys,

I’m wondering if there are any other cards that are good for HMRC payments through Curve?

I’ve not been incorporated long and I’m sure,I read somewhere that they won’t consider Ltd Co’s younger than 12 months.

Freddy 12 posts

I usually pay HMRC via bank transfer. Do you need curve metal and COT to make the payment or can you pay with just COT?

Askeans 4 posts

No problems with HMRC for me – but recently got a ‘warning’ for making a charity donation on COT

JimBurgessHill 17 posts

You need to front your COT with Curve metal, as HMRC accepts debit cards, not personal credit cards. £10k per calendar month of HMRC spend is free of Curve charges.

Entitled 68 posts

No problems with HMRC for me – but recently got a ‘warning’ for making a charity donation on COT

Are company’s precluded from charitable donations?

JerrySignfield 101 posts

Hi guys,

I’m wondering if there are any other cards that are good for HMRC payments through Curve?

I’ve not been incorporated long and I’m sure,I read somewhere that they won’t consider Ltd Co’s younger than 12 months.

They have strange eligibility criteria and often approve accounts only to then close them down a few days later, unless specifically stated to be older than 12 months then no harm in trying.

notenoughmiles 30 posts

Thanks Jerry,

I know they don’t allow re-applications for 6 months so was going to wait to be safe. Was after an alternative for HMRC payments in the interim but haven’t come across anything yet.

Askeans 4 posts

Nope (and they atract CT relief) jsut breaches COT’s T&Cs apparently.

InsiderFly 6 posts

Can someone remind me if HSBC WE now charge cash advance fees for HMRC payments via Curve?

MD 14 posts

Can someone remind me if HSBC WE now charge cash advance fees for HMRC payments via Curve?

Last time I tried a few months ago they didn’t charge a cash advance fee, but they gave me zero points for the transaction. They have openly confirmed they are doing this, so there’s no point using the card for HMRC.

sayling 50 posts

I too have used my COT card for a long time now with HMRC (£30k per month) , as well as LOTS of other spend. This might be slightly off topic but since the recent introduction of a fee from Curve for any HMRC spend above £10k what have people’s experience been with being charged?

Just over £11k CT bill needed paying this month. 5x£2k, no problem – last instalment got me hit with charges from Curve.

Entitled 68 posts

It sounds like their software has caught up with the T&Cs.

Entitled 68 posts

To add my own data point having gone above £10k in December without a charge. In January I have made 5 x £2k HMRC payments without issue but my 6th smaller payment which was above the £10k limit attracted the charge.

Thomas279 4 posts

Hi guys, I’m new to using points cards but was looking to use curve and cot to pay my monthly paye.

I haven’t seen anything on curve’s website about a £10,000 per month limit for fronting? Does this still apply if you subscribe to metal?

Any clarification would be great, thanks

jimchef. 19 posts

Hi guys, I’m new to using points cards but was looking to use curve and cot to pay my monthly paye.

I haven’t seen anything on curve’s website about a £10,000 per month limit for fronting? Does this still apply if you subscribe to metal?

Any clarification would be great, thanks

Yep, 10k limit PCM on metal, after that you pay 1.5% fee.

Thomas279 4 posts

Is it against any rules to have more than 1 curve card? Could I in theory link one cot to two metal curve cards to do up to 20k per month fronted?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.