Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Capital on Tap Paying HMRC using Capital on Tap and Curve

• Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

You can’t have two cards. Your partner could get one, but Curve can only link cards in their name – although a supplementary COT card should be fine, and those are free. No problem paying your tax account from a credit card not in your name.

Thomas279 4 posts

Great sounds like it should work, thanks everyone for clarifying

Guy Incognito 20 posts

I used to use AmEx FX portal to pay HMRC etc. Now might have to look at Capital on Tap but thinking that credit limit might be an issue.

jimchef. 19 posts

I used to use AmEx FX portal to pay HMRC etc. Now might have to look at Capital on Tap but thinking that credit limit might be an issue.

COT do give out some pretty chunky credit limits. Mine is £100k and i know they’ll go up to £150k -if you’re OK with the 1.5% fee after £10k each month with curve of course.

Guy Incognito 20 posts

COT do give out some pretty chunky credit limits. Mine is £100k and i know they’ll go up to £150k -if you’re OK with the 1.5% fee after £10k each month with curve of course.

Interesting. I’ll have a look. I prefer getting AmEx points and then deciding where to send them as needed, but if we used this for Avios we can probably get 1m+ per year which will offset some of the loss of AmEX FX premium rewards.

Fee doesn’t bother me as it’s a deductible expense.

Puddins_pies 3 posts

Is anyone still using their CoT via curve. For example to pay another Credit card bill? CoT have said they do not permit this. I thought that was the whole idea of a curve fronted card.

Harrier25 852 posts

Oh dear, really?!! I assume you called CoT to ask this schoolboy question? What did you expect them to say? It’s Curve’s idea for fronted, not anyone else’s idea.

Unbelievable Jeff! 🙄

Skywalker 699 posts

Is anyone still using their CoT via curve. For example to pay another Credit card bill? CoT have said they do not permit this. I thought that was the whole idea of a curve fronted card.

It might be Curve’s idea of a fronted card, however it doesn’t follow that it’s CoT’s idea too

FlusterCuck 2 posts

Using a personal Curve Metal with business CoT to pay HMRC personal tax bills:
    I couldn’t understand why the amounts charged to my CoT the last few times were more than what I had typed in the box on the gov.uk site.
    I contacted Curve today and received the below response:

“I have had a look into these transactions for you and confirm that Curve has not charged any fees for these transactions, as such this would indicate that this has been a Cash Advance Fee from your underlying payment card.

We pass on the Merchant Category Code (MCC) for every transaction you make through us to your issuer. So they have oversight on what kinds of transactions you’re making using your Curve card.

Your card issuer will decide whether or not to apply charges on this transaction, dependent on your T&Cs with them.

If you’d like us to manually move this to another card (manual Go Back in Time), we’d be more than happy to do so. Please reply with the last 4 digits of the card you would like me to move this to.

If you have any other questions or queries please let us know, I hope you have a lovely rest of your day!”

I queried that I didn’t think this was a cash advance fee and received the response below:

“Thanks for getting back to me, I have looked into this further and can see that this fee was in relation making these transactions via a commercial card (business card), apologies for any confusion in regards to this.

Traditionally Curve has been covering the cost of transactions made using an underlying business card on personal accounts, however this is no longer sustainable for us to continue this as our business grows.

We’ve previously restricted our free customers from adding and using their business cards on our free standard tier, however we want to continue to allow these types of transactions with your Curve card, rather than simply blocking them.

This means we’ll now be charging a 1.5% fee on every transaction made using a business payment card on personal Curve accounts on all subscription tiers. This fee helps us to cover the costs of using these cards.

As such you fee free limit for making transactions via your business card is 1500 GBP per calendar month.

Once you’ve exceeded this limit, you’ll be charged the 1.5% fee. You can read more about this here​.

Apologies again for any confusion and I hope this clarifies the fees in regards to these transactions.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.