Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help How long to wait before chasing BA for EU261 claim?

• dmm27 55 posts

As above. 2 sets of flights cancelled within 7 days of departure, so I submitted a claim via their online form and received a claim acknowledgement number. However this was ~10 weeks ago. There is some generic blurb about “we are very busy so please dont contact us” but equally 10 weeks seems a bit long to still be waiting…?

When do chase it, and how?

TIA
    Dave

Matt 323 posts

Depends on whether you want to put some effort into chasing it up, or just want to sit back and wait. It’s more than 8 weeks, so you could go to CEDR straight away. You could send them a letter before action then go to MCOL in a couple of weeks. Or you could email/phone them and try to hurry them along, but that is unlikely to help.

The best course of action depends on what caused the cancellations, and on your preferences

JDB 4,384 posts

As above. 2 sets of flights cancelled within 7 days of departure, so I submitted a claim via their online form and received a claim acknowledgement number. However this was ~10 weeks ago. There is some generic blurb about “we are very busy so please dont contact us” but equally 10 weeks seems a bit long to still be waiting…?

When do chase it, and how?

TIA
    Dave

You should reopen your case via the link sent in the email acknowledging your claim. Advise them that it is unacceptable already to have had to wait 10 weeks and that unless they confirm payment within 14 days you will pursue the matter at CEDR or MCOL without further reference – ie roll the reminder with the letter before action to save further delay. Obviously elaborate with all the details and specify why the owe you the compensation. Hopefully you have all the reasons for the cancellations lined up so you are ready to escalate if they don’t cough up.

Lady London 2,054 posts

…and adding to JDB’s text to send them above you could also mention you will also seek to recover fees related to any further steps from them

buchanan101 98 posts

Depends on whether you want to put some effort into chasing it up, or just want to sit back and wait. It’s more than 8 weeks, so you could go to CEDR straight away. You could send them a letter before action then go to MCOL in a couple of weeks. Or you could email/phone them and try to hurry them along, but that is unlikely to help.

The best course of action depends on what caused the cancellations, and on your preferences

or write to seanldoyle@ba.com

worked for me, but that’s after they’d refused to pay my costs for re-routing.

dmm27 55 posts

Totally forgot I’d started this thread and then kept forgetting to check (does the forum have alerts when you get replies?)

Thanks for the comments.

The flights were cancelled by BA when they were culling flights due to staff shortages. We were doing LHR-BLL and essentially alternate days had the flights cancelled.

Happy to just remind them at the moment, however there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to do that. The original claim email doesn’t have a link in it, except to the “how to contact us”.

I’ve found a link on their website about ‘Update your case’…do I use that?

TIA
    Dave

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.