Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club I cancelled an Avios flight – what happens next?

• The real Swiss Tony 654 posts

Hi,

So I cancelled an Avios booking on QR made via BAEC today.

The booking has vanished from my forthcoming trips but there’s no e-mail, no sign of the points coming back etc.

What should happen next and when?

Thanks

polly 288 posts

You will get an email tomorrow from baec explaining that your refund will be processed in the next 14 days. That’s what we got last week. No sign of avios yet. If not, after 14 days time to phone in. I know someone waiting since March for their money, but avios returned straight away….

The real Swiss Tony 654 posts

Many thanks!

Greenpen 10 posts

I cancelled a BA booked QR Avios flight last week. Avios credit immediate and cash back in my account within two days.

Bought a replacement on TK which was cheaper!

BJ 657 posts

For me, all refunds over the last two years have been on my card within 48h too. Tgere was a solitary exception which took about a week. Points are usually almost instant IME but call them if you don’t get those within 24h.

polly 288 posts

Really @BJ ? It’s 1k days now since l did that avios canc, and no sign of either.. weird. Will call them.

The real Swiss Tony 654 posts

Just to update, received the e-mail notification just now. No sign of the miles or cash yet, but at least I have that confirmed in writing which is good!

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

For my last 2 BA cancellations, both within the past month, the money was back on my card within a week.

davestat 24 posts

What is the best approach for an Avios booking in CE if OH has decided to stay at destination for an extra week and travel back with friends on EasyJet. Should I get return flight for OH removed now or can I do it anytime before she returns. I don’t want to risk losing my own return flight. Advice appreciated.

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

You should be able to call and get your OH removed from the return journey, unless you’re using a 241 in which case you’d need to wait until you’ve flown the outbound.

blueskiesahead 64 posts

So I cancelled via MMB an avios redemption 3 weeks ago. I have the financial refund ×2 £1 , but am still short of 60000 points.

Who do I contact about this?

Thanks

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

That does sound like something has gone wrong. Try Twitter or Chat in the first instance, they can both sort this out.

Peeps 25 posts

I cancelled a booking that had included a companion voucher on 25th August and this was the reply I received via email the next day.

We’re sorry you couldn’t travel on your Reward Flight booking reference …… To offer you maximum flexibility we’ll be cancelling your booking and refunding you in full.

You don’t need to do anything. We’ll automatically credit the Avios back to your account and refund the money to your original form of payment. We expect this to take approximately 4 weeks and it means you’ll be able to use your Avios as you wish, to book a new trip on ba.com or however you choose when you are ready to return to the skies.

If you used a Companion Voucher and/or a Gold Upgrade Voucher on this booking, we will add it back to your Executive Club account with its original expiry date. This will be done automatically by us.

We look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

My miles and the companion voucher appeared in my account yesterday. No money has been refunded yet!

blueskiesahead 64 posts

That does sound like something has gone wrong. Try Twitter or Chat in the first instance, they can both sort this out.

OK. Will do thanks

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

Well it’s not been 4 weeks yet.

John 1,000 posts

Both times I’ve done this recently, I hadn’t got the avios back after 2 months. In one case I phoned and the other I messaged BA refund helper on flyertalk, and I got my avios refunded within a few hours.

0 post

Cancelled a 241 in July. The Avios and cash was refunded sharpish but the voucher still hasn’t appeared. I emailed an address yesterday to try to chase up but I’m not sure whether it’s the correct one to use.
    gecsreplies@contact.britishairways.com

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.