Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club I got bumped from my seat on a 2-4-1 once again. Are 2-4-1 being targeted?

• MariaJ 26 posts

@NorthernLass I have mentioned it earlier. I am Silver and didn’t pay for my seats.

ChrisC 956 posts

I rather think Maria is the expert on what has happened to her and her partner when it comes to having her seats moved on more than one occasion than some of the posters in this thread.

Once or twice may have a valid explanation – IFE and sears do break – but more than twice looks like something deliberate is happening behind the scenes.

Maria I hope you are composing a joint letter to both BA and Amex about this. It would be interesting to see how they reply.

Lady London 2,054 posts

I think we would have heard an awful lot more about this if there were any form of targeting. We have been travelling on 241s in F and J twice a year for 20 years without any seat changes or downgrades. I do check regularly and set alerts, just in case. My son, travelling with us on Avios has even been upgraded to F twice from J when travelling with us and once from Y travelling on his own.

It just seems to be bad luck and I think the excuse of the seat having some technical issue is an easier message for BA staff to communicate than the fact that someone with status or a family group has been given your seat. It does seem that on US routes in particular, there continue to be a lot of aircraft changes and these sometimes do seem to knock out seat allocations or move them to something less suitable. That seems to be inefficiency rather than anything sinister.

@JDB I would say that you would have a high number of lifetime tier points and this may well be a factor in another person having their seat taken away sooner than yours is.

I am sorry but I wouldn’t describe it as an “easier message for cabin crew to communicate” to a passenger moved to a worse seat or away from their companion, that the entertainment in the seat they booked is broken when the true reason is BA gave preference to a family that perhaps didn’t pay for any seat or turfed the passenger out of their (even paid-for) seat and gave it to someone with higher status. I don’t call that “easier to communicate” I call it a lie.

Lady London 2,054 posts

@LL. You know full well that BA are aware of both the Internet and EU261 responsibilities. You also know they get it wrong to save money, for every person that CEDR or MCOL for what they’re owed they’ll be hundreds if not thousands that give up at the first refusal. It’s not ignorance it’s economically the right thing, given there’s almost no downside to them denying. Until such time there is better regulation in regard to enforcement, the widespread rejection makes most sense.
    I’d guess BA are in top quarter of airlines at accepting EU261, good luck going after many of the others.
    None of the targeting 241 passengers has ever been established as fact. It’s an area of travel sites where a number of cases has been extrapolated into certainty by those that have had poor experiences with overselling and aircraft changes, and those that like to hate on BA. But all a bit random.
    I’d never criticise the advice you give to people in regard downgrades and cancellation, but feel you have to choose your battles and there’s a lot about this thread that doesn’t feel right to me.

Doug I agree with most of your comments.

The key thing is we’ll share now, on here, just as the original targeting of passengers flying on 241’s for downgrade was originally shared on the internet, from here going forward.

MariaJ 26 posts

@ChrisC I was just writing it. I was going to send one letter to each but a combined letter sounds much better. Thank you!

MariaJ 26 posts

@Lady London I totally agree with you here.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    ffwd 58 posts

My seats also seem to have been changed from 2E/2F to 7E/7F on a 2-4-1 booking.
    Will report back if I get any more information.

The original Sear was broken, no-one sat in it.
    I was not ‘bumped’ just moved to a working seat.

MariaJ 26 posts

@ffwd Thank you for letting me know.

MariaJ 26 posts

I finally got a reply from BA yesterday after a month.

Their response was a standard template response giving me 5000 Avios and a list of topics for queries. Appalling! They should just get rid of the Customer Service department altogether.

Lady London 2,054 posts

I finally got a reply from BA yesterday after a month.

Their response was a standard template response giving me 5000 Avios and a list of topics for queries. Appalling! They should just get rid of the Customer Service department altogether.

I’d remind them again that BA *LIED* to you moving you to a $hitty seat saying it was because the entertainment was not working and the passenger who received your seat was happily using the entertainment system on the seat you had paid for and been moved from without any issue….That 5,000 is insufficient for being lied to and insulted, you are fully aware that 10,000 is the going rate for non working entertainment system and does not cover being moved despite paid-for seat, to a considerably worse seat as well…and if BA doesn’t want this to look like they are discriminating against you as a female member of the Executive Club, you request compensation in fhe range of 10,000-20,000. As 5,000 would just about cover lack of provision of a hot meal and does not cover your completely ruined longhaul flight.

MariaJ 26 posts

@LadyLondon Thank you very much for reminding me. I did feel a bit deflated after their response. I replied back but the it said that it was an unmonitored mail box. Ho hum!

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

@NorthernLass I have mentioned it earlier. I am Silver and didn’t pay for my seats.

Ignore.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Lady London 2,054 posts

@LadyLondon Thank you very much for reminding me. I did feel a bit deflated after their response. I replied back but the it said that it was an unmonitored mail box. Ho hum!

Just contact them again quoting the complaint ref.no.

MariaJ 26 posts

I finally received a reply from BA. They have not found why it happened but they have said that it should not have happened and they have apologised. They have also refunded me the Avios used on that leg of the trip.

Thank you very much to all of you, especially to @Lady London for taking the time to reply and for encouraging me to pursue this. I really appreciate your help! 🙂

iamlost 108 posts

I finally received a reply from BA. They have not found why it happened but they have said that it should not have happened and they have apologised. They have also refunded me the Avios used on that leg of the trip.

Wow! That’s a great result for just having been moved seats in the same cabin. You still haven’t said what the route was, hopefully one that used many Avios 😉

Ant68 56 posts

Thank you very much to all of you, especially to @Lady London for taking the time to reply and for encouraging me to pursue this. I really appreciate your help! 🙂

Well done 🙂 Shame it took so much effort on your part, but it’s very helpful for the rest of us to know the outcome.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.