Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards InterContinental Athens review

• Colin MacKinnon 283 posts

Hi all,

Two nights on points at IC Athens, Friday and Saturday. IHG Platinum Ambassador. Hotel obviously under-staffed.

Check-in good (small queue), phrase Platinum Ambassador used often and most benefits explained. Had email the day before saying I had an upgrade to a City View room. Concierge checked out some open-air cinemas for me. Rooftop Acropolis view restaurant was booked out for a private function that evening.

Breakfast chaotic. Couldn’t get anyone to bring tea of coffee on first morning. Second morning, eventually got a waiter – but he brought no milk. After waiting (until tea got cold!) and the Head Waiter/Manager walking past and ignoring me, I stood up and clapped my hands – well, that made him jump!

Huge queues at reception ever time I have passed, and there was a real shortage of waiting staff with some – like mine – trying to serve customers, but then being pulled away by bosses to clear tables in other sections.

Oh yes, and that upgrade. Was to room with a connecting door – to a family next door with young (read, loud!) kids who got up at 5:30am! And still seemed awake at 11:30pm!!!! I mean, what large hotel puts “top elite” members in a room with a connecting door next to a young family?

I won’t moan at the four euro charge for a cookie on a tray at the tea and coffee shelf – I only noticed the small card saying it was part of the mini-bar just after I opened it. Hopefully this will be covered by my $20 ambassador credit.

Liked the tram into town, but only going to give it a 3 out of 5 – one point lost for breakfast hassles, and one point for the connecting door to a young family.

Aston100 1,383 posts

Hi Colin, what was the room like?

Pangolin 108 posts

I stayed there for 2 nights in July and can confirm that the breakfast situation was very chaotic.

I had the same issues as the OP: a real faff trying to get a coffee ordered (the first day they completely forgot and I had to reorder), by the second day I just asked for one of those silver jugs with fresh brew coffee.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

Thanks Colin.

George K 292 posts

I don’t rate this IC at all – it need a complete overhaul from the inside out. It used to be good 20 years ago. Location isn’t great either – not too far from the city centre, but you really don’t want to be on that part of town.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.