Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards IC Park Lane Diamond Jubilee Weekend – tips for an upgrade

• Molly 89 posts

I’ve booked the IC Park Lane for 3 nights using points for one night and two free night certificates – basic room. I’m currently IHG Spire.

Is it worth joining Ambassador for improved recognition for a potential upgrade? Do they offer paid upgrades by contacting the hotel directly?

Any tips would be appreciated.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    SRF. 43 posts

Hi, I stayed at ICPL couple weeks back using a free night cert [for a single night].

I emailed in advance to ask about larger room/upgrade as had baby in travel cot with me. As they said my current room was only for 2 people I would need to upgrade to next room up as that could accommodate 3 people. They said £35 and I agreed.

Anyway, when arrived was told had been upgraded to Superior room and no mention was made of cost and no money taken.

Don’t ask. Don’t get.

TGLoyalty 514 posts

As above but I’d ask about an upgrade to a refurbished Mayfair category room, seems there are still lots of them ie the whole floor where the gym is isn’t refurbished (apart from the gym itself)

Molly 89 posts

Emailed the IC and they offered a Deluxe Room for £75 / night and an Executive Room for £115 / night.
    Not sure it’s worth the extra money?

Would the Executive Room come with lounge access so breakfast?
    Which rooms have been refurb?
    I’m current Spire Elite (Diamond) and considering joining Ambassador, would this mean a further upgrade from an Executive Room to a suite?

My stay starts on the 2nd June so not sure if any of the new Diamond benefits will be operational by this date.

TGLoyalty 514 posts

If the exec actually comes with lounge access then I’d take it. The lounge offering is actually very good

The reality with the non suite rooms are there is very little difference between the categories

If lounge isn’t included I’d perhaps try to get an upgrade to a refurbished base Mayfair room with the lounge access and you’ll find you’re probably upgraded further anyway.

Benilyn 150 posts

Doubt lounge is included in those rates but let us know

Hilda M 62 posts

Molly, if the word “ Mayfair” is not in the name, then it’s not a refurbished room. The Classics are really small with clunky old style furniture & an internal view. The Execs are much larger & usually have a Hyde Park view and I would consider 115£ a reasonable price for an upgrade as they are selling for around 600£ that weekend. But access to the Club is not included for Executive rooms, so it will depend on the date the new benefits start.

They are normally very “protective” of Club access (in Summer, their suites are usually filled with Middle Eastern guests who seem to spend a lot of time there in my experience!) so I do wonder how they view the new benefit of Lounge access (and how they might try to limit it)

Molly 89 posts

Yes you’re right the lounge access is not included. They offered a Grand Mayfair room at £160 / night. Probably take the offer for a new room rather than the tired classic. It’s one below a suite so you never know I may get lucky on a further upgrade at check-in.

Hilda M 62 posts

I really like the Mayfair rooms – very clever modernisation so they feel so much bigger (Mayfair Grand is a refurbished Executive). Enjoy !

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.