Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards IHG choices for a few nights in New York?

• roydonaldson 26 posts

Hi there,

For my wife’s birthday September we are going to go to New York for a few nights. Having never been there before I’m not sure of what are the areas to stay in, or the IHG hotels in the areas that people would recommend ? I’ve got quite a few IHG points and a couple of free night vouchers and am currently Spire.

I was wondering if people on the forums who have stayed in New York before could suggest some hotels to stay in ?

Happy to enroll in Ambassador as well if that would help.

Thanks,
    Roy.

Aston100 1,383 posts

I stayed at the Kimpton Times Square last month.
    Was a good experience. Got a double upgrade (status recognition) at the busiest time of the year for them. Very friendly staff (by NYC standards)
    Literally a 30 seconds walk to Times Square ‘proper’ (46th / 7th & Broadway).
    Preferred it to the IC Times Square which we also stayed at for a couple of nights.

Don’t think I’d stay in the Times Square area again though.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    squawk7700 83 posts

We found the Crowne Plaza H36 Midtown a sweet spot between nightly rate and central location.

Quite a new hotel with smart bar area and rooms – didn’t try any other amenities because let’s face it, it’s New York, a hotel room is for crashing at the end of a long day!

Spire status didn’t get me much beyond some free drinks vouchers.

ChrisC 956 posts

Last weekend I spent 4 nights at the Kimpton Eventi.

Good location close to 34th Street and the Empire State Buiding, Macy’s and various transport connections and had a very nice room (I invested in a suite as part of their secret sale offer so no upgrade)

$20 mini bar credit from my spire status and evening wine hour and morning coffee as well (no maker in the room but they will supplying a kettle and mugs on request.

e14 259 posts

Always check the rate, NYC is getting the stealth taxes i.e. resort fees

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Last weekend I spent 4 nights at the Kimpton Eventi.

I did the same a couple of years ago. Great choice for a redemption.

Harrier25 852 posts

We found the Crowne Plaza Times Square perfectly fine and is in a fantastic location.

Aston100 1,383 posts

We asked the hotel to remove the resort fee when we made our booking early last year.
    I was surprised they actually agreed to this.
    Perhaps they were desperate for business at the time.
    So it seems to be within the hotels gift to give.

roydonaldson 26 posts

Thanks. I’ll take a look at those 2 Crowne Plazas and the Kimpton.

ChrisC 956 posts

I’m about to submit a formal complaint to IHG about the resort fee that they applied to my bill despie me bookign a rate with all taxes and fees included.

Manager was a tad rude to me about it when I challenged it when the final bill didn’t match the booking and tried to rely on it saying ‘estimated’.

Well $90 (over 4 nights) is a little out of an estimated bill.

Given these fees are part of the total cost they should be included when you book.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    roydonaldson 26 posts

Looks like something is up with the CP Times Square, emailed and got not response and no Reward availability in Oct/Nov/Dec at all. They seem to be shut at the moment for a $85m refurb, so wondering if that is what is wrong with the Reward night bookings ?

toddy 113 posts

Anyone ever stayed at Voco The Franklin?

I’ve never stayed at a Voco, so also interested if there is any status recognition? (Spire Ambassador)
    Ta

SimonD 10 posts

We stayed in the Indigo Lower East Side a few years ago. Decent hotel with good views and a lively rooftop bar/terrace. The location may not be the best for the mid-town tourist sites, but it’s great if you want to be in an interesting area (good bars, restaurants etc). Also close to a subway station.

masaccio 722 posts

Having stayed in a few areas, my favourite so far has been the Lower East Side. As SimonD says loads of interesting restaurants and bars.

But if you’ve never been before you might want to be close to the midtown attractions. That said, it’s 15 minutes on a subway and depending upon what your breakfast preferences are you might be going elsewhere for breakfast anyway. Personally I never eat breakfast in US hotel restaurants unless on business as their are always so many more interesting places to eat.

Do a quick Google Maps search from your hotel to the sights and see if you are OK with it versus a walk from a midtown hotel.

jj 520 posts

…Personally I never eat breakfast in US hotel restaurants unless on business as their are always so many more interesting places to eat…

Agree with this. US meals are so big that two meals per day is the way to go. A big brunch at 11.30 and two courses in the evening provide more than enough calories.

Lower East Side is defniitely an interesting and slightly edgy place but an air of meance seems to be returning to the area as the crime rate rises in NYC. When we were there in late 2021, Tomkins park was packed with an extraordinary number of drunk and/or stoned societal outcasts, many of whom carried a distinct air of menace. Be careful.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.