Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice India e-Visa

• Gary B 37 posts

It looks like I cannot apply for an eVisa for India, the country dropdown box seems to list every country but the UK.Anybody know if this is correct?

George K 288 posts

It’s correct. No eVisa for UK passport holders. It went away with the pandemic. No idea when it’s coming back. You need an actual visa.

strickers 656 posts

It’s been like this for a while, mostly owing to us putting India on the red list at very short notice. There’s a very good guide on the Tripadvisor India forum, biggest problem at the moment is getting appointments for the £148pp paper visa. I’m off to Bradford on the 6th Oct.

sherlockholmes 15 posts

If you can wangle a reason to get a business visa it takes less than 2 days.

However @strickers is correct, appointments are hard to come by.

Gagravarr 62 posts

I got my latest Indian visa a couple of weeks back. I managed to get an appointment in Cardiff for about 5 days after applying, for one of the last slots of the day. Kept getting sent away by reception as they were running late, then told they were closing for the day and I was out of luck! Was rebooked for Hounslow for 2 days later, which went fine (other than taking over 2.5 hours)

One of my colleagues also got a Cardiff slot a few days later, and did manage to get in the door before they closed. He also had a long long wait…

Make sure you read the website carefully. Lots of people getting turned away for picking things like “UK – British Citizen”, which despite being an option isn’t one they accept, you have to pick “United Kingdom”! And take all the required photocopies, it’s very expensive to get one at the Hounslow visa center if you forgot

Gary B 37 posts

Thanks for the replies.

A question regarding the Application Form…it asks for India reference and a UK reference. What does that mean and what have people put?

strickers 656 posts
    strickers 656 posts

India reference is where you are planning to stay, first night is OK. UK reference is someone they can go to if they need a reference, I put my Dad down. I don’t think they are particularly scrutinised, possibly more so for a press or charity visa?

Gagravarr 62 posts

Are you going for a business visa or a tourist visa? Who to put for the references differs between the visa types!

Gary B 37 posts

Anybody got any experience of how long it is between the interview and receiving the visa?

strickers 656 posts

Lots of info on TripAdvisor forums, from 3-10 working days from what I can see if you use the DX courier service.

Gagravarr 62 posts

I got a business visa a few weeks ago, appointment in Hounslow on a Tuesday morning, had the passport back by Friday lunchtime

AFKAE 145 posts

Anybody got any experience of how long it is between the interview and receiving the visa?

I did mine a couple of months ago and it was pretty quick, 3 days I seem to remember.

strickers 656 posts
    strickers 656 posts

Various consular camps just opened up for the 15th Oct, they’ll go quickly though.

Janie 6 posts

Hello, does anyone know if you have to pay online with the visa application, or do you pay when you visit the centre?

strickers 656 posts

Pay at the centre, debit card only.

Janie 6 posts

Thanks! Have now completed the form. Hopefully the e-visa might be back before my actual appointment, since it won’t be until January.

shanghaiguizi 41 posts

Thanks! Have now completed the form. Hopefully the e-visa might be back before my actual appointment, since it won’t be until January.

I collected my business visa two weeks ago. Went for the interview at the Glasgow centre. Paid with corporate visa credit card.

Appointment was on the Monday and had an outbound flight the following Thursday. Still hadn’t received my passport by the following Wednesday so called the consulate in Edinburgh. They managed to track down my passport so I’m assuming it still hadn’t been processed. After explaining I had a flight the following day they told me I could collect my passport after 3pm that day. This was for a business visa. Not sure if they would have been so helpful for a tourist visa.

sherlockholmes 15 posts

eVisas will be available again (for UK passport holders)

https://twitter.com/HCI_London/status/1599779657347276803

strickers 656 posts

Blooming typical, 5 weeks until we go!

SamG 1,639 posts

Thanks for flagging this up – was supposed to go for an appointment for a business visa on the 22nd for a Jan trip but seems like that is being pushed out a little so I Can cancel and do e-visa instead

Erico1875 145 posts

Good news. Too late for me. I couldn’t be bothered with all the faff so 2 weeks ago we booked flights and hotel in the Gambia

bthorn 11 posts

Has anyone done an e-visa before? We fly on boxing day and have an appointment this Friday but would rather do the e-visa if I will get it back in time and dont have to rely on posting the visa back etc.

Or do we think its best to take the day off and go to the appointment on Friday?

Aston100 1,385 posts

Good news. Too late for me. I couldn’t be bothered with all the faff so 2 weeks ago we booked flights and hotel in the Gambia

Oh cool.
    That’s somewhere that I’ve thought about from time to time.
    Can I ask what made you book there (beyond the India visa faff) and what your expectations are?

Thanks.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.