Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice InterContinental or Hyatt Sofia

• AY 27 posts

Booking for the end of June just 4 nights, any recommendations between the two? Or is there anything better?

Also any places that are a must visit?

Thanks

JDB 4,374 posts

The IC is better located, but is a little dated, notably the bathrooms and their lighting. Important to pick the right room. It’s in the lower ranks of ICs but is priced accordingly, even vs the local competition. It’s right by the metro to the airport and has great views over the parliament and cathedral, although for some odd reason all the club rooms have a mountain although that’s very distant, so really quite unattractive. In any event, in a city like Sofia there are so many cheap but very good indoor or outdoor bars, I wouldn’t want to be cooped up in their not very good lounge. The Hyatt is fundamentally the better hotel and cleaner/more modern but for price, convenience and views I would pick the IC while being fussy about the room allocation.

In terms of things to do, you should look at the HfP thread “What to do in Sofia, Bulgaria?” which you can quickly google, choosing the HfP site. Sofia is a great city with an unusual history; it’s really worth having a private walking tour on your first morning to understand the history and make sense of everything you will see.

GillyDee 92 posts

We booked a King Terrace Suite with Cathedral view in the IHG using an AMB weekend voucher. We added an extra night on points and they kept us in the same room. It was a lovely room, great housekeeping and nice staff. We had lounge access and the food offerings were fine, but as @JDB says, there are so many better dining options within easy walking distance to try out (but see below)

An old Roman city, Serdika, was discovered whilst the metro was being extended; that’s worth a look.

We had the tasting menu at Andre’s, a short walk from the IHG. The food, with drinks pairings, was interesting, but badly let down by the pacing. It was quiet when we arrived so the first few courses were very rushed, whilst we waited over 30 minutes for each of the last 2. Wouldn’t recommend.

Lovely city, full of things to do and see; I’d happily go back as we barely scratched the surface in 2.5 days.

LD27 171 posts

I was at the IC last week. For 24k points per night and with upgrade I had high floor room with Cathedral view I also had lounge access as milestone reward. Sounds like I had an updated room with modern bathroom and decent lighting. Lounge was quiet one night, busier the next but just had a drink and snack before going out to eat. Lots of places to eat local food, but sometimes service could be better. Location of IC probably better. Within 5 minutes you will be on the metro platform. There is also a ramp down from road to entrance and lifts to platform if you have a suitcase. Direct line to airport. I took taxi for about £8. I arrived by bus at Central bus station on the bus from Skopje. One change on metro, all very quick and easy. The city is small and very walkable.

Rila monastery, Boyana and Plovdiv worth visiting.

meta 1,439 posts

I stayed twice at IC Sofia in 2021 and last year. Booked club rooms (amb voucher and cash) and got upgraded to Executive Suite the first time and Presidential Suite the second time. I didn’t find rooms dated apart maybe the living room sofa and some wardrobes. I’ve just seen real pictures of sofas and some room decorations at IC Rome and it looks similar. Bathrooms are all marble and huge. Suites also come with complimentary minibar (incl. alcohol).

The mountain view is actually preferable as you don’t want to look at the parking below and hear the noise from the busy streets.

davefl 1,223 posts

I booked a mountain view king and they upgraded me to a cathedral suite with terrace at the IC. Didnt really find the noise an issue, even when there was a demonstration in the square below on the sunday afternoon. It was over by tea time. The terrace was as big as the room, 7 chairs and 3 tables for a room with one bed seemed bizarre.

Didn’t bother getting the metro in as Oksupertrans cabs from the airport are honest, inexpensive and reliable. Other cab firms can be iffy as my colleague found out when they charged him double for half the distance to the Metropolitan.

Get the TaxiMe app, it’s their equivalent to Uber and worked well.

LD27 171 posts

I’m a light sleeper. No issues with noise outside.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.