Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Is there any way to use Amex points with Air Portugal (TAP)?

• lazymanc 4 posts

Hi, does anyone know if it’s possible to convert AMEX points to use with Air Portugal? We want to fly from Manchester to Lisbon and they’re the main airline.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

TAP are in Star Alliance.

Transfer Amex points to a partner and book through the partner.

https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/miles-and-go/partners/star-alliance

This is risky as availability can change or disappear as you make the transfer. Also check the fees and charges, it’s up to the airline you book through, not TAP, to set these. They may be unfavourable for short haul.

AJA 1,071 posts

The other route I can think of is Amex MR to Marriott Bonvoy to TAP Miles & Go

Marriott transfer to TAP at a 3:1 ratio with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred to Miles&Go. That means that instead of getting 20,000 miles after transferring 60,000 Marriott points to TAP, you’ll end up with 25,000 miles.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    memesweeper 1,255 posts

Marriott transfer to TAP at a 3:1 ratio with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred to Miles&Go. That means that instead of getting 20,000 miles after transferring 60,000 Marriott points to TAP, you’ll end up with 25,000 miles.

Very true! Bear in mind the Amex to Marriott rate isn’t what it once was, so your Amex -> Marriott -> TAP Is likely to loose some value. To get the 25k TAP you need 40k MR (which is £320 in Sainsburys etc). Going to SAS or another partner might work out better.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

In general (with the exception of United Airlines) BA is the only major airline to offer cheap short haul redemptions. Or, more accurately, fairly priced short haul redemptions. You will always struggle to get value for points vs cash using airline miles for short haul unless you’re booking with Avios.

At peak times it can work, of course, but day to day it’s tricky.

lazymanc 4 posts

Thanks for the advice – I think we’ll save the points for a long haul flight.

harley 109 posts

My advice, dont use tap at all. If anything goes wrong with your flight then good luck getting them to sort it. Customer service is worst i have ever experienced, they also have no understanding of ec2161. Save your MR for something else

doctorbee 9 posts

Beware of using this route. I transferred a handful of points from Marriott to Tap Air and they have just disappeared. Neither Marriott nor Tap are willing to do anything about it and blame each other for the disappearing points/miles.
    I see The Points Guy blogged about this also.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,100 posts

My advice, dont use tap at all. If anything goes wrong with your flight then good luck getting them to sort it. Customer service is worst i have ever experienced, they also have no understanding of ec2161. Save your MR for something else

Seconded. I do use them, but make my bookings via Amex Travel so I don’t have to deal with TAP

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.