Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios It’s really not very good, is it?

• anonymess 16 posts

I’m rather regretting taking the HfP recommendation and signing up for Barclaycard. It’s been an ugly journey.

Their customer channels are overloaded. Call centre wait times can be two hours (!) and although their website repeatedly says that chat is the best (and in some cases only) way to ask a question, chat is often “unavailable”.

They don’t support Apple Pay for this specific card type, even though their website implies they do. No date has been promised.

Their credit limit process, for people with nonstandard incomes, can be bizarre. It is impossible to talk to a human or get a human to look at some documents – you have to submit exactly what they ask for even if you have better documentation available. Then when you have been allocated an arbitrary credit limit, you can’t apply to have it set to something more appropriate until you have waited four months!

You can’t use chat until you have been approved for an account – instead there is a “secure message” facility on the website which is limited to 128 characters (!!!) and you get a response saying you should contact them through the app (which you can’t use until you have been approved for an account).

When you make a purchase the authentication process offers these options: to send a code to the app which sometimes does not receive messages; text to an unknown number which is still showing on the list even after I reported it as a fraud concern; text to my own phone (that one is ok); and does NOT show my additional cardholder’s phone even though her number is set up correctly on the account (eventually fixed by them manually).

The complaint channel does not work – the website says that complaints need to be by Chat, and chat was “unavailable” when I tried to complain. If you write them a letter, turnaround times are over six weeks at present.

I was able to get a transaction feed into my Open Banking app but some payment entries are corrupted eg things like this in the merchant field: “Apple.com/bill, Apple.com/bil, 99928.26 null IRAN” for a 99p payment to Apple. I don’t know whether this is the interface provider (SaltEdge) or Barclays but it stinks of poor testing.

Generally shambolic.

… but they are offering a handy Avios incentive at least.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Aston100 1,383 posts

Hands down the worst experience with any card I’ve ever applied for.
    See my question elsewhere this morning asking if there are any benefits in keeping the card after the Upgrade Voucher (and therefore the SUB) are banked.

SteveJ 978 posts

It’s a shambles. This post should be stickied rather than the promo!

duggie1982 263 posts

It defo is crazy for a company like Barclaycard to have as many ‘teething problems’ so no excuse

Like you suggested , avios is the reason i have not closed the account and i have had far less issues that you mention.

To back up HFP – they would not had seen this coming but to be fair even if they did, money talks!

meta 1,439 posts

Nobody can say though there weren’t plenty of warnings in the comments…

Carlos 758 posts

what a shame that a better offer came out later
    The disclaimer does say Head for Points is a journalistic website. Nothing here should be construed as financial advice, and it is your own responsibly to ensure that any product is right for your circumstances. Recommendations are based primarily on the ability to earn miles and points. The site discusses products offered by lenders but is not a lender itself. Robert Burgess, trading as Head for Points, is regulated and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to act as an independent credit broker.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    tw33ty 186 posts

Remember, this is the same company who basically cut and run a few years ago and slashed the limits of many people with zero warning.

How short our memories are sometimes.

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

HFP get their cut though. So no issues for them.

dougzz99 619 posts

HFP get their cut though. So no issues for them.

I’ve had a pretty poor customer experience with Barclays, awaiting response to initial complaint. But posts like this are just silly. You can’t hold HfP responsible for the issues Barclays have. How many people don’t have issues, and just get on with it happy with their new Avios earning cards. Barclays are the problem not HfP. Ultimately you say what’s in it for me, and set this against the hassle of getting the process to that point. Yes I have some issues, but I also have a shed load of Avios for a very respectable cost. When I have the Voucher the credit card gets dumped.
    Focus on getting what you want from a product and move on.

dougzz99 619 posts

Remember, this is the same company who basically cut and run a few years ago and slashed the limits of many people with zero warning.

So get even by milking their offers and cancelling the minute you have what you want from them. These are giant corporations, they’re not your friends.

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

So get even by milking their offers and cancelling the minute you have what you want from them. These are giant corporations, they’re not your friends.

Agree, I am one of the few or silent many who this is working well for. Sign up smooth and quick, delay receiving card but customer service contact resolved. No issues contacting. Using via Google pay and Curve fronting without issues. That said I won’t be surprised if a letter awaiting me at home, been hammering Curve fronted for foreign currency transactions.

If I do get the letter it will be short but sweet and time to move on with 35K + Avios and an upgrade voucher all for £60.

anonymess 16 posts

Head for Points is a journalistic website. … Robert Burgess, trading as Head for Points, is regulated and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to act as an independent credit broker.

The comments both in the forum and on the website (now closed to comments so many in the public will not see the latest woes) have quite a surprising number of reports of bad service. I would hope that Rob is earning some of his broker fee by taking these complaints to Barclays and escalating them as a batch. Commitment to an implementation date for Apple Pay would be a start. 10000 Avios for anyone who has had to queue for more than 30 minutes in the call centre would be appropriate too!

Rui N. 831 posts

Curve fronted for foreign transactions?!

iamlost 108 posts

Rightly or wrongly, I can’t think of another example that’s damaged people’s trust in HfP and Rob’s recommendations as much as this Barclaycard has. It is, perhaps, a lesson not to push future products and promotions quite so hard—especially when they’re untested.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Some of the comments are downright bizarre.

Don’t think Rob ever guaranteed Apple Pay or super fast delivery of card or shorter waiting times on calls to customer service.

Not all companies will have the same standards as Amex – who are also facing more complaints now.

I never buy a new product when it’s introduced. It’s everyone’s choice to buy something and the timing of the buying. No one is forcing you. If you are unhappy, request a refund on your HfP subscription.

Damian 24 posts

I’ve had no issues with it at all. Does what it says on the tin with a decent credit limit. Avios have credited with bonuses. Yes Apple Pay would be nice and it should be available soon. I’m not going to have a tantrum like some people on here over Apple Pay!

tw33ty 186 posts

I didn’t even bother to sign up for this card.

I thought it would be another creation situation, and also thought a leopard couldn’t change its spots.

Rui N. 831 posts

Your loss of a few hundred pounds then.

NunoBettencourtsPinky 107 posts

Whilst there are clearly issues going on that have affected readers here and these should be acknowledged, I think its worth giving some balance to the conversation by saying my experience from start to finish has been largely positive. I’ve opened a Barclays Premier Account and activated Avios rewards, along with a Barclaycard Avios card – all in the last few months. Everything seems to be working OK, Avios are posting as I’m hitting the targets and spending, and Curve seems to work just fine. The app seems to do what its supposed to and I’ve had no reason to contact Barclays or Barclaycard.

Granted, its not exactly been “slick” in terms of things getting set up (some initial card delays and error codes in the app etc), but its all there now and working as it should and I’m generally a happy camper. Apple Pay doesn’t affect me, so I’ve Curved through Google Pay. But complaining about a company not offering something seems a bit harsh. Its coming down the line right?

I get that people with legitimate complaints are going to be vociferous on forums like this about their experiences, but I suspect the vast majority of new Premier Account and Barclaycard cardholders are in the same boat as me. Just sayin’.

tw33ty 186 posts

Only my loss short term if everything went all fine, and judging by the comments posted of the numerous amount of people having issues, not really worth the hassle or risk of wasting my time atm.

Plus, not a loss at all, can easily apply for it at any point in the future, I’m sure better sign up offers for the card will be along when / if they sort everything out. what with all the negative comments they seem to on the receiving end, they’ll need a good incentive to get more new sign ups.

meta 1,439 posts

It’s not really a loss because some people preferred to keep their Hilton card which is currently only sole Hilton points earning card on the market and you can’t sign up for it anymore. You also cannot say it’s a loss because you don’t know what matters to other people. For me:

1. I can easily earn 30k for same cost, it would also keep me from getting Avios/points elsewhere. So you really have to deduct the amount of Avios from SUB you would gain elsewhere on other spending, etc.

2. Earning rate for BA flights is 1.5 Avios on Barclaycard instead of 3 Avios on BAPP.

3. Upgrade voucher is useless for me as a) it needs to start in the UK (high taxes) b) you need to use maximum Avios +tax on short-haul (Lloyds vouchers were very valuable at peak times on short-haul) c) I can save huge amount of taxes on 241 voucher and get more 2+ trips out of one vouchef. Upgrade voucher is only valid for one RT trip for one person or two one-ways starting in the UK. It will also work out more in Avios if you have 2 upgrade vouchers than one 241 voucher. d) It can’t be used in F

Of course, other people have better use and it might suit them just fine, but people are complaining. Of course, this has nothing to do with HfP and Rob. People alone have created a hype around the cards in the comments without reading actually what was well written in the articles.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

I think its worth giving some balance to the conversation by saying my experience from start to finish has been largely positive.

Same here. Card received one week after application was approved and a lower credit limit than expected, but working fine so far. Was always going to add it to curve, Apple Pay or not.

can 506 posts

yeah, my only problem so far has been £2k-ish low limit. I tried to apply for limit increase, but didn’t work. so I keep making mid-term payments, and they see that I spend and pay much more than that, yet no increase. I suspect it is because 4-6 months haven’t passed for me to be reconsidered.

it is obvious to me. it is a generous card, they will cut all possible corners to reduce cost, including cust.serv.

anonymess 16 posts

So I absolutely understand and accept that some/many customers have had a smooth ride with this offer, and that social media tends to amplify problems. But there are also quite a few for whom, when it’s not gone well, find themselves trapped by bad customer service processes, ineffective complaint processes, overloaded call centres etc etc.

For example I am trying to sort out a fairly straightforward problem (additional cardholder isn’t able to get online purchase auth codes sent to her phone because it isn’t shown in the list; and another random unauthorised number is in the list).

First chat: we’ve fixed it. They didn’t. Call to call centre: cut off half way through talking. Try again: the call button has now disappeared from the app. Contact by chat: they say my complaint is already being dealt with and say they can’t help, send me to the phone lines. Try the phone lines, it asks for “your debit card or telephone banking membership number” and it doesn’t accept my credit card number. Call the same number again, get a different menu (it seems to change randomly); spend six minutes explaining the issue to a helpful member of staff who confirms that the system has the correct numbers and it isn’t clear what has … cut off again. And he didn’t call me back either.

There are issues here with call centre staffing, telephony reliability, systems bugs, and much more. This, as I said at the start of the threat, is really not very good.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.